351 W in 65 Comet

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
schmudlk

351 W in 65 Comet

Post by schmudlk »

So after pulling my hair out with my new purchase the 289 aod combo is not working out. I am going to pull it back apart and i believe i will install a 351 windsor that i have. car has headman shorty headers but windsor id wider an taller so my question is any one find headers that work for this. does a 65 mustang have same engine bay as our comets? Steve

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 351 W in 65 Comet

Post by lavron »

schmudlk wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:38 am
does a 65 mustang have same engine bay as our comets?
Not exactly, the Mustang is wider a bit IIRC. I don't think much wider but someone will chime in with the correct info soon, and I don't think it is over a couple of inches.

That being said, I am sure a lot of Mustang stuff will fit fine.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

My first 65 Comet was a 289 4-speed. I bought a set of headers from a friend who had a 65 Mustang 289 4-speed, and I could NOT get those headers to fit. That's been nearly 50 years ago now, but it seems I had problems with them clearing the front frame rails. A different make/model header for a 65 Mustang might have worked, but that set certainly wouldn't.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya, the Mustang drag link is +/- 1.5 inches longer than a Comets and it mounts to the inside of the frame rail so you lose space there so most likely all the way up. I think I read that the Mustang engine bay is longer too.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

schmudlk

Post by schmudlk »

A friend of mine has a 66 fastback think ill go measure it up this aft. I already had interference between the pitman arm and exaust pipe on turns so im guessing it wont be easy. i can lower the engine if i buy a smaller fan or go electric that would also help trans clearance at cross member. i have seen several comets for sale with 408 strokers i wonder what they did.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

back in the early 90's when I converted to a 4spd,I found that STANG headers wouldn't work,,,,we found an ad in a magazine of a place 100 miles north of SAN FRISCO ,CALF,,called RED'S HEADERS INC..I called him and he built me a pair of tri-y's...and shipped them to me,,,as they were custom built for my 64 ,,I still had to take a ball peen hammer and touch one up to clear the idler arm...I think RED's has passed away and don't know if his place is gone or still around...WE have a 351 in a 64 comet..but it has a rod/custom frt end,,we used a set of headers for a 94 stang,and still had to notch the frame slightly on pass side....and we have ford's N head so the flanges had to me modified some to bolt up....none of this helps am sure,but it might !!!!!! good luck...………….pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

schmudlk wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm
i have seen several comets for sale with 408 strokers i wonder what they did.
I would bet hand built headers. Lots of those 408s would have
custom heads to boot so cut a pair of flanges and a pocket full
of mandrel bends, away ya go!
If it were easy everybody would be doing it.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

They do make headers that fit. Higher end brand and the name escapes me but most also notch the shock tower. I have been told the shorty headers don't work. The headers in my 65 comet 302 block are old (from the 80s) Headman 351W for a 66/67 fairlane but I had to modify them a bit. If you search way Back and probably in the 65 comet forum.I know Roy answered this question a couple times.
Reread a bunch of posts. 289/302 Hooker Super comps. Roy ended up making his own when he switched to a 351W. Kooks is the one I thought made headers for what ever block and head you have.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

This company may be able to come up with a header that will fit the application without cutting in the car.
https://maddogheaders.net/
I am using a vintage set of JR Headers on the Cyclone, the owner of Mad Dog was associated with JR when I purchased my set.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”