timing chain set

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
loman

timing chain set

Post by loman »

Local parts store ordered me in a timing chain set for a 289 and it was wrong. I believe it is for a 64 or early 65 motor because the cam gear is doesn't have a raised hub on it like the one that I removed. I thought those timing chain sets required some spacer behind the gear to prevent from rubbing on cam thrust plate. The parts store was having a heckuva time trying to find the right one. I walked out and said I would be back later. Does anyone have a part number for a timing chain set for 289 from Napa? This is just a plain jane 289 2 bbl going into my white 65 that I started playing with again.

lavron
Site Admin

Re: timing chain set

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:02 am
This is just a plain jane 289 2 bbl going into my white 65 that I started playing with again.
When were you going to tell us about this? :P I haven't seen any pictures :roll:

Sorry I am no help on the 289.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

Lol, your right Mike. I got some pics from this weekend. I'll try to get them posted later today.

For what its worth, Oreilly's is telling me the timing chain set is special order. :shock: . Then Auto Zone tells me they have to ship one in, it would be several days. Who would have ever thought that a timing chain set for a SBF would be anything more than walking in store and picking one up.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:26 pm
Who would have ever thought that a timing chain set for a SBF would be anything more than walking in store and picking one up.
Probably the same people that decided the engine was just a component to change out never rebuild :roll: they want you to buy new and not fix.

Loman we are now old enough to sit around the coffee shop and talk about how folks used to rebuild stuff and go fast stuff was not a computer chip.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ON this 1951 v8 flathed ford we have ,there is a grease fitting on everything,,at one time you could buy a repair kit for all of it,,you will wear yourself out giving it a lube job and sit back and second guess yourself making sure you greased them all....pop
pop/glenda