Re: Stroker choices?

Post by Lou's Comet »

barrys65cyclone wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:37 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:01 am
barrys65cyclone wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:05 pm
if you go aftermarket block go with Dart, you cannot go wrong with Woody at Ford Strokers my 304 CI I spin HYD Roller to 7200 -7500 on the street with TopLoader 4sd and is street driven, 2x4, AFR 185 RENEGADE head ED Curtis .600in Lift cam everybody loves it when I roll into Car show with it.
Thanks Barry. Did you have your 304 done at Ford strokers? Sounds like your engine is very similar to what I am looking for. The Ford boss 363 has a cam with 600 lift. Not sure I want the boss block, from what I read it needs specific heads to work with the design of the block. Not sure I would like that. I am leaning toward the Dart block, and will prob need to give Ford strokers a call. Also looking at AFR for heads.

Lou
No I did my own but I would not hesitate to use Woody at Ford Strokers !
Thanks Barry, doing my own may be something to also look at.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:16 pm
You should check out the September Hot Rod magazine. There's an article about building a carburated 331 stroker achieving 456HP at 6400rpm.
Tom
Thanks Tom. I will look for the article.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

2020 S/S Champ in S.E.G.A. is running a dual-quad 333 in a '65 Caliente and he has NASCAR connections :roll:
He's on top this year as well.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Can you use the factory Z bar with the borg box? Thinking there was a reason I nixed the idea before.

Lou
[/quote]

My friend just added a Borgeson power box to his ‘55 Ford, he likes the box and how it works but there is no room for the Z bar. Last night I was looking at an early Falcon, it had a strong looking Ford small block in it, I noticed it had a power box that looked like a Borgeson. I looked for clutch linkage then saw that he had a small master cylinder mounted next to the brake master. I would say there is no room for a Z bar with a power box.
Another item that peaked my interest was that he had no engine mounted pump for the power box, he had an electric pump unit mounted on the inner fender panel with the hoses running to the box. I should have take pictures.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:28 pm
he had an electric pump unit mounted on the inner fender panel with the hoses running to the box. I should have take pictures.
Jim
I have been look for anyone who has done this. some of the truck guys that swap crownvic frontends in use an electric pump from a volvo on their R&P steering. if you see that guy again ask him about it & what pump he is using.

Lou I have a z bar on mine with borg box but it took a lot of trial & error to chop cut & rebuild it. Headers were a headache multiplier. But it can be done.

If I had to do it again I would cut the apron & push it out for more room,, & make access door/plate on the adjusted apron .that would make it a lot simpler, like the afx cars only they left theirs open.

Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

"I have been look for anyone who has done this. some of the truck guys that swap crownvic frontends in use an electric pump from a volvo on their R&P steering. if you see that guy again ask him about it & what pump he is using."

My friend here that put the Coyote in the 62 Galazie is using a Volvo pump on his R/P steering. I'll find out details tomorrow.
Fred
I have those openings on both sides of my Comet for underhood air movement. Hardly any dirt in lots a air out.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:19 am
"I have been look for anyone who has done this. some of the truck guys that swap crownvic frontends in use an electric pump from a volvo on their R&P steering. if you see that guy again ask him about it & what pump he is using."

My friend here that put the Coyote in the 62 Galazie is using a Volvo pump on his R/P steering. I'll find out details tomorrow.
Fred
I have those openings on both sides of my Comet for underhood air movement. Hardly any dirt in lots a air out.
Fred I said that wrong, I've seen plenty of them on R&P , I'm interested in the electric pump on a borgesen box. like the falcon Jim mentioned.I'd like to hear about that one. it must be smaller than the volvo which is big. pressure differences are also a concern.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

K, I'll get his knowledge anyway in case he has something relative to your interest.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:16 am
K, I'll get his knowledge anyway in case he has something relative to your interest.
Fred
good idea, yea I'll take it in,might help to know all the aspects. ask him if the volvo it came from had R&P,that'd be my first question to him.thinking it did but good to be sure. & what kind of volvo.
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Volvo pump is 03 to 08 S60. I have a BBF powered Fox body with a Toyota MR2 pump.About the same concept but a little more pressure and flow...and less cumbersome and easier on the eyes,IMO.It has a later SN95 GT rack and hydro boost. The setup couldn't work any better and there is less stuff hanging on the motor and fire wall. If you get a chance to grab one of these pumps,make sure to get the wiring. Lou...sorry for the hijack.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

vicegrip wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 am
Volvo pump is 03 to 08 S60. I have a BBF powered Fox body with a Toyota MR2 pump.About the same concept but a little more pressure and flow...and less cumbersome and easier on the eyes,IMO.It has a later SN95 GT rack and hydro boost. The setup couldn't work any better and there is less stuff hanging on the motor and fire wall. If you get a chance to grab one of these pumps,make sure to get the wiring. Lou...sorry for the hijack.
I like the sound of that,,,a smaller pump!!! volvo pump is big & ugly. I heard a rack needs more pressure than a sector box, if that is the case then maybe the toyota pump could be regulated down to run a borg box? wonder if a bigger alt would be needed?
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I do run a G3 alt but unless you have dual electric fans or a million watt power amp or both,it's not needed. The G3 install is almost always followed by annoying belt squeal with V belts.

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I like my 331, solid lifter motor with cheap untouched aluminum heads. Makes 420 plus HP according to the ET calculators. I only have a 8,000 tach and it has sat on the 8,000 pin many times. More cubes would be better for the torque to get my 3,400 lb comet moving but if I was going bigger I would stroke a 351 block.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

tweaked wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:10 am
I like my 331, solid lifter motor with cheap untouched aluminum heads.
JMO, but I think the 333 (0.040 over 5.0L) is the best choice for a durable race engine. Would require a Dart block for extra insurance but unshrouding big valves makes a lot of power. The S/S champ in SEGA runs a '65 Caliente w/ one w/ dual quad intake.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tweaked wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:10 am
I like my 331, solid lifter motor with cheap untouched aluminum heads. Makes 420 plus HP according to the ET calculators. I only have a 8,000 tach and it has sat on the 8,000 pin many times. More cubes would be better for the torque to get my 3,400 lb comet moving but if I was going bigger I would stroke a 351 block.
Roger
Thanks Roger!

I am assuming your running a flat lifter and not a roller. Looked at a bunch of possibilities and keep coming back to the 331 with solid flat lifter cam. To late for me to go to a 351 block stroker. Already have a bunch of parts including headers and such. Plus I would need to address the shock towers.
You using a stock block or aftermarket? Willing to go to aftermarket block if need be, but local builder has been telling me don't really need to.
Thinking AFR heads. And probably error on the side of too much cam.

If you don't mind me asking what are your cam specs?

Thanks again
Lou