Crankcase oil leak

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Jims65cyclone

Re: Crankcase oil leak

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:20 am
Also dumped 5 qts. of oil in the crankcase, forgot to put the plug back into the pan when I was young :oops:
Been there, done that. :roll: Put the first quart in, bent down to pick up the second quart from the floor and saw the first quart running out on the floor. Also, forgot to put the oil fill cap back on one time. Drove it on a 400 mile round trip, then noticed oil on the garage floor the day after I returned. Raised the hood and the whole engine compartment was glistening. Checked the dip stick and it was barely touching the bottom of it. Fortunately, no harm done. This has been cathartic hearing there are others of you that have pulled these types of stunts. :lol:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Was changeing oil in the drive way in my 65 ford ,,hateful nosey neighbor came up to the fench and started what she did best ,,,gripe and complain about everything,,,sh was the about the age of my mother,,,,I was being very respectful listening to her...until I noticed I had poured 2 gts in without the drain plug...then I unloaded on her,,,,sent her home packing,,,,then had to replace those 2qrts.......had a gasket stick on the engine one time from the filter,,,driveing down the road oil lite flinkered,,,oil everywhere....that taught me even today I always check that old filter for the rubber O ring...things happen........pop
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I also had the old filter o ring stay on the block once in the 90''s. People can tell you that it can happen, but the experience of it happening to you and the mess it creates is a lesson you will never forget. After that day I check over and over to make sure that old o ring is off.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

along with double filter o-ring & missing o-ring incidents,(been there) ,one time the threaded nipple that the oil filter screws on to came out of the block,it stayed on the filter when changing oil. I didnt notice it.I always give them plenty of time to drip out,,, filter was thrown away & hauled off before I finished the oil change. had to order another nipple ,wait another day to finish :roll: . I think we are all saying pay attention to the oil filter & base when changing them ! :)
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

As long as we're on this...69 Mustang 428 FE,had a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the filter adapter to watch it on 1st start up.Had some fittings on it so it was pointed forward and up so I could see it. Was changing oil after cam break in and going to connect up the stock oil pressure sender,removed the gauge,got distracted,left the fittings,poured the oil in,fired it up from inside the car.The fittings shot a nice stream of oil into the fan and being the hood was off,completely oiled down the whole car,shop ceiling,everything that was close.

Teddyzee60

Post by Teddyzee60 »

I've done it as well.
Left the oil filter off its remote mount.
Amazing how quickly you can pump out 5L of oil when turning the key!
Good thing for gauges and lights. Bad for my friend's gravel drive I was in!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

The great thing about us all having a similar experience is we learn valuable lessons and moved on to be better at your own car mainteance. I employee a lot of young men, 18-30. They are interested in cars but grew up being told you'll mess it up, just take it to a shop, etc.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

KNOWLEDGE AIN'T WORTH A CRAP,,,,unless you can pass it along.....POP
pop/glenda

StPro

Post by StPro »

I had a starter die on my driver that was going to make me late for work. I jumped into my 71 Comet 302 13-1 race motor w tunnel ram 2x4 and headed to work. It was cold outside in the 30s.one block away I pulled out on the highway jumped on the gas and blew the oil filter off the filter flange thank you Eight quart oil pan what a mess to clean up . Had to call in sick,
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

https://www.zoro.com/vibra-tite-retaini ... ended=true

Amazing to see it on the ground - beautiful job man. Long time in the wings.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Rocket989 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:14 pm
https://www.zoro.com/vibra-tite-retaini ... ended=true

Amazing to see it on the ground - beautiful job man. Long time in the wings.
Hey Rocket989!
You have been absent for a while, welcome back!
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Indeed - Vibratite that hog & let's see! That's all I've got here!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)