Vacuum secondaries vs mechanical secondaries

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
popscomet

Re: Vacuum secondaries vs mechanical secondaries

Post by popscomet »

You still need to do your homework,,,made in the USA stamped on the box,,could mean the box was.I ran into that yrs ago when building a mustang,,,,,stuff came in ford boxes ,,flip it over on back side had a sticker built in a far away place where a mode of transportation was a ricshaw or a double hump camel.....pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:21 am
comethead wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:23 am
Hey Joe what happens above 3k rpm? That’s where my Falcon lives. I have a 6AL box but I haven’t installed it yet.
Their claim-

CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE
The Digital 6A and 6AL feature a capacitive discharge ignition design. The majority of stock ignition systems are inductive ignitions. In an inductive ignition, the coil must store and step up the voltage to maximum strength in between each firing. At higher rpm, since there is less time to charge the coil to full capacity, the voltage falls short of reaching maximum energy which results in a loss of power or top end miss. The MSD Ignition features a capacitor which is quickly charged with 520 - 535 volts and stores it until the ignition is triggered. With the CD design, the voltage sent to the coil positive terminal is always at full power even at high rpm.

Joe II
Got it! Thanks Joe!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

I’m running a Pertronix rev limiter in the Falcon. The box did indeed say Made in USA as well as all their other parts on Summit racing. It was one of the main reasons for me using that one over others.
Great quality on the limiter and it worked exactly as advertised.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed