Radiator Hose-Coolant Capacity

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
JimsHot66

Radiator Hose-Coolant Capacity

Post by JimsHot66 »

One of those pretty stainless steel radiator hoses (the lower) failed on my car last night. Back in the day, the flex hoses were crap. Is that still the case? Any recommendations on what to get, or avoid? The hose is about 40" and has a few twists and turns. I think I want to avoid another stainless hose.

Also, I only got about 8 quarts of coolant out of this. Book says 15 quarts. Does the bottom end of the motor and heater really hang on to that much coolant? The radiator was mostly full before I pulled the hose.

Thanks,
Jim

poboyjo65

Re: Radiator Hose-Coolant Capacity

Post by poboyjo65 »

I was doing the break in on a 302 motor,alternating between 2000 & 2500 rpms & had one of those SS hoses pop off,top hose.spaying lots of coolant right back on the motor,brand new polished intake. :x :cry: :cry: :x hose was new ,but it's hard to tell if it's on far enough & good & tight because you cant see it for the chrome couplers. dont use them anymore. rubber is easier to clean anyway because it is smooth.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:38 am
One of those pretty stainless steel radiator hoses (the lower) failed on my car last night. Back in the day, the flex hoses were crap. Is that still the case? Any recommendations on what to get, or avoid? The hose is about 40" and has a few twists and turns. I think I want to avoid another stainless hose.

Also, I only got about 8 quarts of coolant out of this. Book says 15 quarts. Does the bottom end of the motor and heater really hang on to that much coolant? The radiator was mostly full before I pulled the hose.

Thanks,
Jim
If a factory hose will not fit your car then make a pattern of what shape you need and look the the parts stores inventory. I was able to use formed hoses by cutting a hose from another vehicle to fit what I needed. It takes some time but the results look factory and replacements are easy to locate when the time comes. For instance here is what I use: upper radiator hose- NAPA 9412, lower radiator hose-NAPA7375, Heater hoses-Dayco 80398. I cut each hose to fit my application.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:16 pm
JimsHot66 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:38 am

Thanks,
Jim
If a factory hose will not fit your car then make a pattern of what shape you need and look the the parts stores inventory. I was able to use formed hoses by cutting a hose from another vehicle to fit what I needed. It takes some time but the results look factory and replacements are easy to locate when the time comes. For instance here is what I use: upper radiator hose- NAPA 9412, lower radiator hose-NAPA7375, Heater hoses-Dayco 80398. I cut each hose to fit my application.
That's pretty much what I did having the hose in hand, with no success (counter guy says "here's a tape measure, let me take you to the hoses").
They really didn't have anything that was close, even considered joining 2 hoses together. I ended up buying a foot of straight hose and fixing what I had. Let it get up to 220 degrees, no leaks, so far.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I have one in stock @ my local Autozone- Dayco Hose C70443

Prefer NAPA but they don't stock one.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:26 pm
I have one in stock @ my local Autozone- Dayco Hose C70443

Prefer NAPA but they don't stock one.

Joe
I should have taken a picture when it was out of the car... the water pump inlet is on the front, passenger side of the motor behind the alternator; the radiator connection is on the drivers side bottom. This thing is 40" long with 4 bends in it. The hose I used for the repair wasn't cheap. Hopefully it lasts a while.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The 302 water pump has outlet on opposite side as original 289.
I had a 302 in my '65 Cyclone w/ a cross-over pipe I eliminated. It had stock 289 radiator.
Changed the water pump to match the radiator.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi