SBF ID Help Rerquest

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
power band

SBF ID Help Rerquest

Post by power band »

Removed the engine yesterday from the 'project' Ranchero. Presumed a later 302/C4 although badging is 289. Found a spare C4 yoke was too small for plugging tranny output shaft for pull.

I am not familiar with SBF variations.

Where are important numbers to ID Block, Heads, etc.

BH and Tranny look larger than C4 - C6?

whats capped at back of heads - EGR ?

has points distrib...

thanks

Image . Image . Image . Image . Image

PS left my hood open overnite in the Springtime husle on the Comet :

Image . Image 8)

bmmaurer

Re: SBF ID Help Rerquest

Post by bmmaurer »

Block ID / Casting number is in the casting above the starter. Need to removed starter to see. Head #'s will be cast on the Heads near the Head bolts. That is not a C-4. A C-4 has a detachable bell housing. Probably a C-6

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Yeah, there are a couple sites out there where you can ID the numbers, mustangtec is one that I recall.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

You can read the block casting number behind the starter w/ a penlight and mirror, if you don't want to remove the starter.
First letter 'C' is '60s, 'D' is '70s, E is '80s. Following number is year in the decade, C8 being 1968, first year.
Yeah, smog heads but not indicative of date. IIRC, California engines had air pump in '68. Maybe someone else has the skinny on emission control, not my bag.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Two things that will help id it other than the casting number. On the drivers side of the motor check for a drilled and tapped embossment for a z bar pivot. If present, then it is pre 1982. Other thing is balancer pulley. Assuming it is a 302, 3 bolt is 68, 4 bolt 69 up. Thermactor port heads where used in the early 70's on up to the 90's, so a casting number on the head would help. I think bolt on rockers started around 79ish. Press in stud mounted before that.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Transmission looks like a small block C6 to me from the view you posted. C4 has a removalable bellhousing, and FMX has a castiron body, so they are emliminated.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

if block hasn't been decked there is a engine build date code on a pad , on driver side just in front of the head. ;

but if block has been decked this will have been machined off in the process.

Just to add to whats been said, looks like a c6. c6 has a dogleg in one side of the pan
Johno