Headers- Same Question- New Product(s)?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
bamnow

Headers- Same Question- New Product(s)?

Post by bamnow »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and noticed there's a few threads on header choices. Although I've seen the recommendations for Doug's Headers, I've not seen anything about Flowtech or Pro Comp brand of headers. Recently I found on eBay a set of Pro Comp Stainless Steel Tri-Y Full Length Headers for under $250 that the supplier said will fit my car. Specs look decent: 1 5/8" ID diameter mandrel bent 18 gauge tubing, 3" collector and 3/8" flanges.

My Comet is a 1966 Villager, 289 with power steering, C4 automatic and dealer installed A/C. We've rebuilt the 289 with the following mods:

1. Bored 30 over
2. Edelbrock Performer 289 Manifold.
3. Edelbrock 500cfm Carb
4. Edelbrock Performer Plus Camshaft
5. Pro Comp Electronics Distributor
6. Pro Comp Roller Tip Rockers
7. Mild porting and polishing of head

As I've spent over my original budget, I need to keep the header purchase at $300. Any opinions or experience on the Flowtech or Pro Comp Headers?

Thanks in advance.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Headers- Same Question- New Product(s)?

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

If I recall,most conversations were about 63,64 and 65 Comets with the smaller engine bay,there are not a lot of choices for the earlier chassis.Your 66 is graced with the larger engine bay and there are many more choices available. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

CometJunkie64

Post by CometJunkie64 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-64-70-2 ... 3e&vxp=mtr
these are the headers I have on my 64, there not that fancy but they work pretty well, the color changed pretty fast on these. for the price there really not a bad set of headers.
Clifton

rloizzi

Post by rloizzi »

I have a 66 Comet with a 289 that I wanted to put headers on. I ran into a problem with the power steering components. I ended up removing the power assist parts and the headers fit right in. They are full length Hedman's. We tried to find a way to install them by cutting and welding the two pipes that ran into the power assist, but there just was no room.

motobike5000

Post by motobike5000 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:If I recall,most conversations were about 63,64 and 65 Comets with the smaller engine bay,there are not a lot of choices for the earlier chassis.Your 66 is graced with the larger engine bay and there are many more choices available. ROY.
Roy, were any mods to headers needed? they look pretty good for the money, ive got a 65 with manual steering and id rather not raise motor unless i have too. was hoping to slide em in but i know thats prob impossible. thanks Tom