Rhoads Lifters

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
comethead

Rhoads Lifters

Post by comethead »

Anybody heard of or used these hydraulic lifters? http://www.rhoadslifters.com
They are supposed to be a variable duration lifter to help lower rpm range performance.
Seems pretty cool, might consider them for my hyd Hipo cammed 302.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Re: Rhoads Lifters

Post by popscomet »

I ran them back in the 80's in a 460 in a mudd drag truck..they pump up and sound like solids,til they bleed back down.I ran them cause they helped me pull the correct vacumn at a certain RPM"s,per the rules and it seems like I ran a half set on the exhaust side in a 289 also pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

What was the reason for running them on the exhaust side only Pop??
Thanks!

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Back in the 80s
comethead wrote:Anybody heard of or used these hydraulic lifters? http://www.rhoadslifters.com
They are supposed to be a variable duration lifter to help lower rpm range performance.
Seems pretty cool, might consider them for my hyd Hipo cammed 302.

Joe
Everybody knew about them kid :D :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'm surprised that they're still around frankly.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yeah I see they go back to the 70s.

So do they work?

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:What was the reason for running them on the exhaust side only Pop??
Thanks!

Joe
WELL,you got to remember,this was back in the 80's,,,rather they helped or not,,my way of thinking was they act like solids when they were pumped up ,,and as you well know a motor is no more than an AIR PUMP,,the more you pump into it the more you need to release it and there fore My way of thinking was to hurry and get it out,,to be honest.I look back on it and don't really know if they helped or not,rather it was the 460 or the 289,,but at the pits or sitting around the shop drinking a cold beer or 3,they were a hell of a subject to talk about.....once I took them out ,I never replaced them with another set,,,,and they were good tradeing material.ANOTHER reason I put a half set in the 289 was that's all I had and I got those in a trade....POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

comethead wrote:Yeah I see they go back to the 70s.

So do they work?

Joe
Have no idea,, i ran competition cam stuff back then.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Fred !
Ok now I'm reading all over the interwebs that the lifters do what they say they do. Sounds like a good deal if your running a crazy hyd cam. Don't think I'll need them with what I'm doing.

I'm such a rookie!! :lol:

Joe

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Rhoads lifters work great and do just what they say. "Variable duration". They act like soft hydraulics at idle and solids at much more than idle. I use them in my Cyclone 289 and my 351w '60 Falcon drag car. No problems ever and well worth a little extra. An Erson lifter failed in my 351 that led to a disaster on the dragstrip. I now use only Rhoads or solids in something that needs to really run. They are a precise, quality lifter.Also, never use Crane "Energizer" rockers. They have pressed bearings with no c clip and can come apart under stress. Ask me how I know.

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I used Rhoads lifters on a 428FE back in the day!!! Unfortunately I used the non adjustable rocker arms and when I started the car,the lifters pumped up and held the valves off the seats and ran like crap. It took me a week to find out what was wrong, I had a set of adjustable rockers off a 427, installed them and the car ran the way it should. Other than that the Rhoads lifters worked like a champ. When they pump up their just like solid lifters. Andy

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks for the info guys!

Joe

loman

Post by loman »

Never heard of these, but it sounds very interesting. I might look into these for the future. I learned something new today and that is always a good thing.