Autolite 2100 issues (i think??)

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Tbart

Re: Autolite 2100 issues (i think??)

Post by Tbart »

Tank cleaning is a pain. I've used HOT HIGH PRESSURE washers with some success. The clear filter before the pump is a good idea in most cases. I don't like them after the pump though. Those big bubbles that always form in them cause problems sometimes. But it's good to be able to see the crud you are catching. I once cleaned a tank by putting ten pounds of clean gravel and 2 gallons of diesel fuel in it and sealing it up with rubber plugs and duct tape. This was not a Comet tank. IHC. I wrapped it in an old sleeping bag my dog was using and duct taped it up so it could be tightly wedged into my cement mixer and tuned it on. By adjusted the level of the mixer it scoured the whole inside pretty good. [Buster got a new yardsale sleeping bag before winter] I let my hillbilly tank cleaner run for about 2 hours, setting the mixer at different angles. It was very clean afterwards and I used a shop vac with 1" hose duct taped to the regular hose to clean it out and rinsed it several times. Shiny, almost. No holes in that tank and I didn't use any sealer. I did use RedCote on a Harley tank once and it worked good. No trouble.
Those Autolite 2100 carbs have a pretty good filter but very small stuff might get past them and build up in the bowl. Gas turns to crud pretty fast if a carb is sitting around with a little gas left in it. What's more likely to cause float hangup is the float retainer wire maybe not installed right or that little keeper clip that attaches the float tang to the needle. If the choke is fine and the gas is clean I'd take them apart and clean and reinstall them. I like to dip a Q tip in carb cleaner and spin it in the seat to get it really clean. Then make sure nothing binds and the retainer wire is in its slot. You really don't need that little clip that attaches the tang to the needle. They can cause trouble. Your carb looks very clean and well rebuilt. Maybe something like the retainers out of whack.

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

Comechero65 wrote:I have one of those clear glass filters at the end of the fuel line from the tank just before it goes into the fuel pump. Lets me see the fuel flowing through as well as any debris caught by the filter.
Ron
On my previous boat, I had a Chevy 350 that had a clear glass filter installed. My boat mechanic told me to remove it as the bowls could break, causing fuel to possibly drip onto the exhaust manifold and thus cause a fire.

Do you think that would apply to a car's engine compartment too?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I guess there could be a certain amount of risk though I would think the glass used on the filter is hardened to handle high temps under the hood. Some guys put them above the engine which would be a much hotter place. Mine is just next to the sway bar mount, just opposite the fuel pump where the fuel line ends so it's towards the front and away from the exhaust and probably gets hit by air flowing under the car. Should be a lot cooler at that location. I ran another one in the same place on my mustang for over 20 years with no problem.
Ron

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I don't use them any more. I know someone who had one break and do just that. :-(
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

Thanks to all ya'll for all the help! I plan to change the oil, take off the carb, clean it out, and change the fuel filters. I had never opened the float bowl before last week so I don't know how much had come from hooking up the tank. Eventually I will get a new tank and lines but for now I just want to get everything working on it.

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

Over the weekend I had the chance to clean the carb and put new fuel filters on the Comet. Started it up and it ran fine for a few minutes. Then it started stumbling and I shut it off. Fuel on the engine again. I took the top off the carb and there was crap in the float bowl again. Ordered new hard lines for it yesterday. I think that is where all the crap is coming from.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GLENDA's 56 ford sat many years in a shed ,after we got it ,tore it apart and redone everything including a new SS fuel tank,we still had problems from time to time with trash in the carb and filters,,,,we replaced the complete fuel line from tank to pump..it's fixed !! not another speck of trouble,,of no kind...pop
pop/glenda

tntrash

Post by tntrash »

Made all new fuel lines and installed them over the weekend. Now its running good again! Pulled it out of the garage tonight for the first time since getting it!

Groover

Post by Groover »

A thing of beauty.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Groover wrote:A thing of beauty.
just like a speckeled blue tick beagle puppy ! :D 8) pop