1965 Caliente 4 barrel.

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
cyclone460

1965 Caliente 4 barrel.

Post by cyclone460 »

My 1965 Caliente was born October 7 1965 in Los Angeles with an A code (289 4 barrel) Is a C5OE-9425-A with a date code, June 23 1964 intake manifold correct for my car. It also has a 3 bolt air breather at the back. Is my engine supposed to be black or red with yellow valve covers?. Thanks

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 1965 Caliente 4 barrel.

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

A June 64 Date Code should be right,engine should be black with yellow VCs and aircleaner unless it has the 'Chrome Package',then black block and heads,chrome VCs and chrome Air Cleaner lid and silver[argent] main air cleaner body! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

Thanks for that Roy! Does the breather at the back of the intake manifold go to the carb base deleting a PCV valve in the VC? If so, I'll need different VCs.? The guy selling this states this is a rare HIPO manifold with this rear breather? Thanks again.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

The PCV 3 bolt set-up goes to the pack of the Carb if provisioned, or a 1 inch phenolic carb spacer with the PCV nipple.

OR you can block off the 3 bolt area with a plate and run the PCV hose from your carb/spacer to the valve cover set-up

Here's some pics.

Comet Bruce

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

bmmaurer wrote:The PCV 3 bolt set-up goes to the pack of the Carb if provisioned, or a 1 inch phenolic carb spacer with the PCV nipple.

OR you can block off the 3 bolt area with a plate and run the PCV hose from your carb/spacer to the valve cover set-up

Here's some pics.

Comet Bruce
thank you very much for the pictures I would like to use what came on my car from the factory I'm not sure which way to go with this manifold whether I should get it or not

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That would work just needs some good cleaning up. You can keep the pcv as is or remove the 3 cornered piece and block it off then install a pcv in the valve cover as other later v8's are setup. Hope the price is right.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

cyclone460 wrote:My 1965 Caliente was born October 7 1965 in Los Angeles with an A code (289 4 barrel) Is a C5OE-9425-A with a date code, June 23 1964 intake manifold correct for my car. It also has a 3 bolt air breather at the back. Is my engine supposed to be black or red with yellow valve covers?. Thanks
I think October 1965 was already into 1966 production. I'm always confused with this, but I believe 1965 production would have begun aug-sep 1964. Making a Jun 64 part feasible.
Also, I don't think there's anything Hipo specific about that rear breather. It all depended on if it was an "open" or "closed" ventilation system. For 65 that would depend on DSO. CA cars had closed systems with a hose coming off the oil filler/breather cap and connecting to air cleaner. Also, the valve cover had the PCV. Others had the open breather cap and I think some still had a road draft tube for 65.
I wouldn't pay more than $100 for an original cast iron intake. They weren't Hipo specific and they aren't very rare.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JMO,,I don't think that 3bolt PVC set up would have came on a 65,,,for what it is worth,,I have the earlyist built date 64 289 comet on the forum to date and it did not have that set up,,,but like I said.....JMO......POP
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

comethead wrote:
cyclone460 wrote:My 1965 Caliente was born October 7 1965 in Los Angeles with an A code (289 4 barrel) Is a C5OE-9425-A with a date code, June 23 1964 intake manifold correct for my car. It also has a 3 bolt air breather at the back. Is my engine supposed to be black or red with yellow valve covers?. Thanks
I think October 1965 was already into 1966 production. I'm always confused with this, but I believe 1965 production would have begun aug-sep 1964. Making a Jun 64 part feasible.
Also, I don't think there's anything Hipo specific about that rear breather. It all depended on if it was an "open" or "closed" ventilation system. For 65 that would depend on DSO. CA cars had closed systems with a hose coming off the oil filler/breather cap and connecting to air cleaner. Also, the valve cover had the PCV. Others had the open breather cap and I think some still had a road draft tube for 65.
I wouldn't pay more than $100 for an original cast iron intake. They weren't Hipo specific and they aren't very rare.

Joe
I'm no expert on any of this so my question is this why would they have an intake sit around for over a year before it was installed on the car? I know when we did the GM restorations the motors were all date coded within 30 days of the car and most engine pieces were within several weeks of one another. seems strange that this intake would be considered correct for his car.

My 2 Cents
Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

If there were no running changes in design they used what they had! My 65 Comet came out of St.Louis,had a pvc in passenger side VC,open breather/oil fill cap on drivers side VC.When I came home after my ARMY stint,Commiefornia made me go to a closed crankcase system,oil fill was no issue,had to install a hose nipple and hose in the air cleaner!!I have seen that pvc setup going into where the road draft tube normally went,on a lot of old FORDS!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

ants875 wrote:
comethead wrote:

Joe
I'm no expert on any of this so my question is this why would they have an intake sit around for over a year before it was installed on the car? I know when we did the GM restorations the motors were all date coded within 30 days of the car and most engine pieces were within several weeks of one another. seems strange that this intake would be considered correct for his car.

My 2 Cents
Ant
Hey Ant I'm thinking his actual build date is Oct 64, so a Jun 64 intake is "feasible" but not ideal. I've read parts should be 2 weeks to a month before build date would be right.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

cyclone460 wrote:Thanks for that Roy! Does the breather at the back of the intake manifold go to the carb base deleting a PCV valve in the VC? If so, I'll need different VCs.? The guy selling this states this is a rare HIPO manifold with this rear breather? Thanks again.
I just did some reading on this type of intake in Mannels small block book.
For 1965 all PCV valves were installed in the right valve cover for closed ventilation systems. If the engine had a PCV valve the breather at the rear of the intake wasn't machined open.
If the engine had an open ventilation system a road draft tube was installed in the rear intake breather for very early 65s, and in the right valve cover for late 65s.
So to be correct, 65s did not use the rear intake breather for PCV. Only 63-64.

Put another way, that intake would be correct for your car only if you use a road draft tube and no PCV. If you want to be 100% correct, that intake would not work for you if you have a CA DSO.
Clear as mud? :?

Joe

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Joe,

Now that you state the build date of 10/64 that makes more sense I knew I must have been missing something.

Thanks
Ans

cyclone460

Post by cyclone460 »

comethead wrote:

Joe
comethead wrote:
cyclone460 wrote:Thanks for that Roy! Does the breather at the back of the intake manifold go to the carb base deleting a PCV valve in the VC? If so, I'll need different VCs.? The guy selling this states this is a rare HIPO manifold with this rear breather? Thanks again.
I just did some reading on this type of intake in Mannels small block book.
For 1965 all PCV valves were installed in the right valve cover for closed ventilation systems. If the engine had a PCV valve the breather at the rear of the intake wasn't machined open.
If the engine had an open ventilation system a road draft tube was installed in the rear intake breather for very early 65s, and in the right valve cover for late 65s.
So to be correct, 65s did not use the rear intake breather for PCV. Only 63-64.

Put another way, that intake would be correct for your car only if you use a road draft tube and no PCV. If you want to be 100% correct, that intake would not work for you if you have a CA DSO.
Clear as mud? :?

Joe

Thank you all for the info! He wants $150 marked down from $200 for this "rare HIPO intake" as he states. Its listed on Chicago craigslist parts under 289 and only listed a phone number. I'm happy all of you came through for me again. I'm not going to buy this manifold. As Joe stated, I want to be 100% correct. I Guess my engine was out at one time because its painted ford red and not black as Roy stated. So I have some work to do to make it correct. Thanks all!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yes you have to be careful with all this "it's a rare Hipo Shelby" part bs. You'll know when it's a truly rare part. Either it'll cost $1000 or it's gone so fast your head spins! :lol:
Btw I have a few cast iron C5xx 4 bbl intakes. I'm not sure where your located but if your interested I can check the date codes to see if I have one close to your build date. Your engine build date is on a small machined flat spot near the distributer.

Joe