alternator bracket

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
rjones35

Re: alternator bracket

Post by rjones35 »

Ahh....thanks! I still need to make a spacer for that big bolt into the head, but it appears things are going to line up okay. I may need to do a little bending on that lower adjuster bracket, but its close now.

peps64

Post by peps64 »

If I remember my #'s correctly (in my case, at least), most of the alternator mounting bolts are 3/8", except for the long bolt going into the head, which is 7/16". My 347 has the large hole in the head, as well, which I believe is 5/8". Anyways, I installed a threaded insert into the head that went from 5/8 to 7/16. There are several brands and styles of them out there. Not sure, off hand, which one I used. I do know I had to drill out the threads in the head slightly. You have to knock down the threads just a touch so the threaded insert will screw in. The brand I used had pins that you knocked down to lock it all in place. Not sure if any of this helps, but this is the method I used to deal w/ that "hole in the head." :shock: Good luck w/ your project.

Peps
64 Cyclone...347 w/ 4-speed, Cal-tracs, Currie 9" rear-end, more goodies to follow

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks! This is it so far.

peps64

Post by peps64 »

I just re-read your post that I was replying to. Sorry, I had misread it. You had the exact opposite problem as me. Obviously, I wasn't much help then. I'm glad you have it figured out. By the way, engine looks great.

Peps
64 Cyclone...347 w/ 4-speed, Cal-tracs, Currie 9" rear-end, more goodies to follow

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks peps!!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Back when I installed the ford ps on my 5.0 w gt40 heads, it had the blind hole insert which was the wrong size thread for the long pump bolt. I fab'd my own adapter so it was hidden inside the bracket and spacer so could not be seen but it was there. Didn't think anyone made one especially not anything small enough to not create other fitment issues so made my own.

Hidden inside the spacer but not visible here.
Ron