Rocker noise

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
rditz

Rocker noise

Post by rditz »

I have finally started my motor, a 302 built for me. It sounds really good, but I have got a significant tapping noise on both rocker banks.

It has a Comp Cams Cam, Comp Hydraulic Lifters, Manley Pushrods, Comp Roller Rockers, Manley Valves.

I have adjusted the rockers as described by the Rockers instructions but the noise is still significant. I called Comp Cams on the weekend and the fellow said I might have to preload the rockers as much as another 1/4 turn.

I am nervous about turning too much more and bending a valve.

Has anyone done this before and is there some "trick" to getting this noise to go away??

BTW, there is lots of oil pressure...

thanks in advance.

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Did you prime the engine before you started it? (spin the oil pump)

Does the noise continue even after it has run awhile?

If it is tapping significantly I don't the 1/4 turn will hurt any :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

rditz

Post by rditz »

Mike,

yes the engine was primed and had run for a while.. the engine was built by a speed shop so I will be checking in with them as well..

I also had called Comp Cams (you know they are on duty even on Saturdays??) and they said that I might have to go as much as 3/4 turns from 0 lash.

I am going to get back to it tonight, hopefully, and if that is all it is, then we should be OK.

Thanks

Rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior

rditz

Post by rditz »

Well, noise problem solved.... and do I ever feel dumb...

Turns out that the valve covers that I bought are just short enough to be causing the knocking..i replaced them with the original 302 aluminum covers that are slightly taller and poof, noise is gone...

I guess that the comp roller rockers combined with the cam and pushrods need that little extra swing room...

It is a shame, because the valve covers looked really cool and matched the air cleaner...

Anyone know if running a double valve cover gasket would work as a way to lift the valve covers that little bit needed??? does anyone have any thoughts on the longevity of doing so??

Thanks

rod