6 cylinder to v8 conversion

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
202man

6 cylinder to v8 conversion

Post by 202man »

Hey everyone. I have a 66 202 that I am putting a 302 in. I am having trouble with motor mounts (frame ones) the motor is about 3-4" further back than it should be. Any ideas??

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

V-8 Swap

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

If you have the V-8 frame mounts make sure they are in FRONT of the shock towers.This is a common mistake during the conversion. Also make sure you have the 65 motor mounts and intermediate mounts.ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

2x4son66202

Post by 2x4son66202 »

You will need to install motor mounts and the lower frame mounts from a V8 car. The lower frame mounts from a inline six won't work for installing a V8. When I did my inline six to a 289 V8 conversion on my 66 202, I used the lower frame mounts off a 66 Fairlane with a V8. I then bought new upper motor mounts for it at the parts store.
I cannot seem to find my pipe stretcher and sky hook, did I put it behind my bucket of arc sparks??????

66sleepr

Post by 66sleepr »

Hey 2X4, I am doing a I-6 to 351 and wanted to douoble check what you did. If I get the frame mounts from a small block car, and the motormounts, they will hook up right? I mean, there is no intermediary mounts? I have been told conflicting info. I beleive it is just the frame mounts to the motor mounts, but I figured I would ask since you have perfromed this task. Thanks for the help
'66 202 Comet
351W .30 over,Comp Cam and valve train, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, modified stock exhaust manifolds (until I can afford headers), Cobra T-5 trans, Hurst shifter, 9" trac-lok w/ 3.73 gears, Granada front disc brakes

Decurion

Post by Decurion »

There is a cast iron bracket that bolts to the frame, then an "L" shaped piece with a bolt in it, then the rubber motor mount bolts to that. Ive heard people upgrading to the 66 (safety style) motor mounts, but Im not quite sure how that works since theyre pretty different.
-Eric
65 wagon, 302, c4, 3.55 9", disks, etc.

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

i am not sure but i believe that someone makes relocation mounts, either that or just have the engine sit further back. if it is interfereing with the way the transmission mounts, bell housing spacing) change to a 250 I6 C4 transmission with the smaller torque converter. these had a smaller bell housing and were available in the 76 granada
Drew Wanzer
"I love the smell of roasting tires in the morning"

2x4son66202

Post by 2x4son66202 »

66sleepr wrote:Hey 2X4, I am doing a I-6 to 351 and wanted to douoble check what you did. If I get the frame mounts from a small block car, and the motormounts, they will hook up right? I mean, there is no intermediary mounts? I have been told conflicting info. I beleive it is just the frame mounts to the motor mounts, but I figured I would ask since you have perfromed this task. Thanks for the help
There should only be a upper and a lower motor mount on a 66-67 Comet. When I did my conversion I used the lower mounts from a 66-67 Fairlane. I then went to Checker and bought new upper mounts. I pulled the lower mounts off the Fairlane in the junkyard and there was only a upper and lower mount on that car. The one thing I noticed is that the motor mounts on my Comet look just idential to the mounts on my wife 70 Mustang. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if post 66 Fairlane/Comet motor mounts are the same set up as post 67 Mustang Cougar motor mounts.
I cannot seem to find my pipe stretcher and sky hook, did I put it behind my bucket of arc sparks??????