Fuel Tank 65 Comet

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
popscomet

Re: Fuel Tank 65 Comet

Post by popscomet »

THIS ain't on a comet,but I took the sending unit out of the tank on my 66 f100,always read MT,as long as I held it in my hand ,it worked the gauge,,so I wire brush the brass float and brighten it up and I found a hairline crack,took my finger nail and spread it open just e'nuff so''s I could sling the fuel out of it,laid it in the bright sun and let it dry out on the inside and mixed up some JB weld with just a tick more hardner so it would set up faster and smeared a thin coat over the crack,,let it set up for 20/30 min's and put it all back together and it seems to be fixed,,have ran out of gas once and had started carrying a can of gas in the back,so maybe I'm good to go now,Sure hope so.like I said ,not a comet but it might be some useful info to someone...thanks POP....besides I'd rather fix it then to replace it :roll: :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

popscomet

Re: Fuel Tank 65 Comet

Post by popscomet »

THE JB weld didn't hold up,after a couple of days the gauge showed less fuel then I knew was in the tank,took it back out and could take my finger nail and flake it off the float,reckon I didn't allow e'nuff drying time after I smeared the stuff on there..so I found some solder and put that on there,,,it's working as of right now,looked in the tank with a flashlight and had a half tank of gas and thats what the gauge is showing,so we'll see if it floats !! mean while I'll find me another one of those trks and get a better float just in case......pop
pop/glenda