headers???

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
six4caliente

headers???

Post by six4caliente »

hey, im apologize in advance if youve heard this question a million times...

what headers will fit a '64 comet caliente w/289 and 4 spd (converted frm 3 on tree)?? will headers from a 64 mustang work im just not sure if they'll clear the shock towers. i dont want to spend too much, just trying to get a few more horses...thanks!
'64 Caliente 2 Door Hardtop
260/Toploader/4100/Hookers

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Headers

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The Mustang may work but they will be VERY tight.I have Dougs tri-y headers on my 65 Wagon and they clear everything,I got the ones for a 4-speed.I got mine through Summit. ROY .
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Decurion

Post by Decurion »

Dont count on Mustang headers working. Some may, but I think most wont. If you can tolerate marginal quality, Hedmans I think clear nice.
-Eric
65 wagon, 302, c4, 3.55 9", disks, etc.

SLCK64

Post by SLCK64 »

I got my Tri-Y's from http://www.dearbornclassics.com , they are Doug's tri-ys they are a tight fit but anything in these cars are. Love the tone I got off open headers, and gobs-o-torque. I belive they have a 3/8" flange so no warping for leaky leaks. WELL, WELL worth the $!!! and mine came with nice thick header and collector gaskets. (302ci w/4speed manual)

six4caliente

Post by six4caliente »

the doug's headers look perfect, but i really dont have the $$$ to spend on that....
is there anything under 250 bucks that would fit? has anyone tried the hedman shorties?
Thanks.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Headers

Save your money!You can buy cheap but that is what you get,cheap!If the shorties are for a 64-65 Comet then they should fit,don't buy Mustang headers.I have owned my 65 Comet for 41 years and have tried different headers,ONLY 64-65 Comet-Falcon headers will fit!The only header that fit without having to massage have been the Dougs tri-Y's,they are pricey but with the coating and thick flanges and tubes should last many years. ROY .

six4caliente

Post by six4caliente »

yeah you are right. i should get the dougs, but right now i cant afford it and need something a little cheaper, but eventually i would like to get a set of the coated tri-y's. But until then, i think im gonna have to get the hedman shorties. Kinda interesting though, i found the headers but they dont say that there for a comet, they say that it fits a 1962-70 falcon. should be the same right? are the shock towers so dang close to the block in falcons too? here are the headers:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/88400/10002/-1

SLCK64

Re: headers???

Post by SLCK64 »

six4caliente wrote:hey, im apologize in advance if youve heard this question a million times...

what headers will fit a '64 comet caliente w/289 and 4 spd (converted frm 3 on tree)?? will headers from a 64 mustang work im just not sure if they'll clear the shock towers. i dont want to spend too much, just trying to get a few more horses...thanks!
I say Doug's Headers Tri-Ys....WELL worth the money, GOBS-O-TOURQUE!!! A bit on the pricey side, but there are no worries with leaks, nice thick flanges and gaskets, made very well.

http://dougsheaders.com/prod/ex/dougs/default.aspx

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

I used the 88400s and modified them for my application.I guess I never posted the finished product.I will add a picture of the finished product later.Don't be afraid to cut em and put the like you want them.They are just metal. Good Luck,Heath
viewtopic.php?t=494
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Headers

Comets and Falcons in those years are the same under the hood.I was not trying to talk you out of the shorties,they work great for a street car,especially if they fit. ROY .

sidny

Post by sidny »

if you have the equipment make your own, i have made several headers of stainless steel but for bmw e21 :oops:
the advantage of making your own is that you get them exactly as you want and for a low price tag as well :D

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I'm looking for some big tube headers and so far no luck. I might have to make my own. I want 17/8' tubes stepped down to fit.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

cathrinesmith

Re:

Post by cathrinesmith »

Hillbilly Comet Man wrote:I used the 88400s and modified them for my application.I guess I never posted the finished product.I will add a picture of the finished product later.Don't be afraid to cut em and put the like you want led lights.They are just metal. Good Luck,Heath
[url]viewtopic.php?t=494[/url
]
hey guys! you are a great. I also follow you, I already see your topics. Happy festival days, Thanks for you kinds information. :D

DieselMech13

Post by DieselMech13 »

Hooker super comps work.. Hooker comps work as well a little massaging of the header is needed for the Comps. Super comps slid pretty much right in.
1964 Caliente 4 door-- Pro Street project (Yes prostreeting a 4 door)

albert

Post by albert »

Hedmann 88400 for $179 in black from Summit. Put them in my 65 Comet with no fit problems. I have a 5 speed tremec with a cable clutch and power steering and they fitted perfectly.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust