Baby steps...baby steps. More like a slow crawl.

390 & up cid Monster Motors
thunderkiss65

Baby steps...baby steps. More like a slow crawl.

Post by thunderkiss65 »

Crites FE headers scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks. Any issues you guys had with them? For a '65 and 4 speed. Thanks.

70snake

Crites headers

Post by 70snake »

Hello, I have a set of the Crites FE headers for my '65 202 (auto), and they have been test fitted. Although at first glance, it appears they will not fit, they actually fit nicely. You will probably have to trim the corner of the engine support bracket that Crites uses (very minor, just round off about 1/4 inch), but other than that, I had NO fitment issues. I will probably send mine out to be coated, now that I know they fit. :D

P.S.- Be aware that if you use the Crites mounts, they will put the oil pan VERY :shock: close to the center link (depending on what pan you use.) I got around this by having a custom 1.5" dropped center link made, since I'm running a 9qt. Moroso pan. 8)
62 Econoline pickup (428 mid engine)
65 Comet A/FX clone
06 Mustang GT(that thinks its a '69 mach)
and a collection of FE "junk"

thunderkiss65

Post by thunderkiss65 »

Will be using the Crites setup. I was just looking up oil pans yesturday. So far only looked at Moroso and Milodon, but haven't seen what Canton has. It would be cool to have the pan come down almost to the bottom of the headers...the car will be raised up quite a bit anyway. Where does the bottom of your oil pan end up? Thanks.

70snake

oil pan

Post by 70snake »

Using the 9 qt pan, puts the sump very close to level with the bottom of the headers. My Comet sits very high in the front (nostalgia drag look), so ground clearance is not an issue. I had the dropped center link made because I was originally going to run a 428 with a stud girdle, which adds 1/2" to the depth of the pan, causing interference with the center link. :? I am now running a 427 stroker (the 428's going into my Econoline), so the stud girdle is not used, however I like the extra clearance, plus my link is adjustable(about a 1/2" on each side) so alignment issues should be no sweat. I'm heading back out to the shop now to work on it(what else is there to do in Upper Michigan in the winter? 8) )
62 Econoline pickup (428 mid engine)
65 Comet A/FX clone
06 Mustang GT(that thinks its a '69 mach)
and a collection of FE "junk"