ITS TIME TO SWAP

390 & up cid Monster Motors
fryedaddy

Re: ITS TIME TO SWAP

Post by fryedaddy »

i pulled the engine out today.wife hollered at me to come in and eat so after that thanksgiving meal it was all she wrote.i have not pulled the convertor out yet but the front side is dry. there is fluid puddled under the convertor.tomorrow i will find out what failed when i get it apart
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

there is nothing better then shifting to me,even at 72 I still like to shift a 4spd,,I just like a clutch pedal....I use to know an ederly gentleman that lost both legs just below the knees in the war,,,he drove a standard transmission PU.He use to help me as a kid chase a shetland pony into the corner so's I could ride it,,I almost passed out when I found out he had 2 fake legs,,,,he and his brother owned the ARTIFICAL LIMB COMPANY,in LUBBOCK,TEXAS...He was amazing ! He told me he always drove standard transmissions.....he had stepped on a land mine...POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:50 pm
I use to know an ederly gentleman that lost both legs just below the knees in the war,,,he drove a standard transmission PU
My great-grandpa lost his right arm just below the elbow in a railroad accident, he drove a stick (like he had a choice) and shifted left-handed, I guess he would have benefitted from an English car :roll: my uncle still has his last car, an army surplus 1940ish (I think it looked like a '42 or '43, whatever year they quit consumer sales but was built during the war for the army, it had no taillights etc) Chevy sedan with 3 on the tree. Great-grandpa died when I was 2 or 3 and my earliest memories are of him, there is a picture of us arriving for a visit and the picture was taken just as we got out of the car, my dad was driving a black '62 or '63 Falcon 4-door.

Ok that really had nothing to do with Fryedaddy changing his transmission :roll: I like a stick shift car too!

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:16 pm
Ok that really had nothing to do with Fryedaddy changing his transmission :roll: I like a stick shift car too!
When I was looking for my keeper, I wanted a HP289 and a 4 speed, period. There's something special about a stick. You are fully engaged with the car with all fours! That's what makes it more fun 8)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Some times an AT is handy to own,,,everything I own that I drive has a clutch except my 94 f150 and it has an AT,,,,right now I have to wear a big clumsy boot that I have to strap on,for awhile, when I walk,,,go back to the foot doc next month...cannot operate a clutch very well, let alone safely,,,BUT I CAN drive my 94f150 with it's AT just fine,,,,I'd be in a pickle without my 94,,,,,was not my intent to hogg up FRYEDADDY's post about his transmission swap...won't say anymore ,,,,,,,,,,,,,POP
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

POP, i haven't told anyone yet but my knees are going bad,but are ok right now.i want to change those gears while i am still able.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

looks like the 4 speed is going in, c6 is full of medal shavings and my convertor sounds like a bowl of marbles.the front seal has no rubber on it.
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

with bad knees ,,and your dead set on a clutch,,,you should consider a hyd throw out bearing,,,or at least a diaphram pressure plate,,,that's what I put in my comet yrs ago,,much softer pedal..not a problem in traffic or at a long red light.MY son put a hyd throw bearing in OL RUSTY,the drag comet,,it's like mashing the gas pedal,,no effort at all...good luck,,,,pop
pop/glenda

V8Throttle

Post by V8Throttle »

I know your pain in deciding between the way-cool 4 speed and the reliable C6, and I have a suggested solution.

I am building a 67 Cyclone GT with and for my 17 year old son. We have a 428 based top loader, pedals etc, and a 67 C6 as well. The choice between the fun of shifting through the gears, the look of the floor shifter, the choosing when to shift gears depending on the situation, versus the worry of too much horsepower destroying the top loader was tough. I have been told that anything over 300 horsepower can be fatal to a top loader. That is too easy to achieve!

So in the end I opted for what I think is the best of both worlds. I had my tranny guy rebuild the C6 into a full manual valve body to handle the dyno'd 550 bhp from the 416 cubic inch FE that is getting stuffed back into the car over the Christmas break. With the full manual valve body you still NEED to or rather GEt to shift gears. With the strong and good looking B&M Mega-shifter it should have good crisp shifts, and the great look of a floor shifter. In the end it should be all the fun of a manual, without clutch coordination, and no worries in reliability. Something to consider.
1941 Ford Flathead Coupe, 1951 Henry J, 1965 Comet Caliente, 1967 Cyclone GT, 1968 Torino GT Fastback, 2008 Shelby GT 500 & 1976 Torino stockcar

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

V8Throttle wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:46 am
I have been told that anything over 300 horsepower can be fatal to a top loader.
I wouldn't pay much attention to that or anything else coming from who ever said it. :roll:
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i was told that a toploader will stand up to 600 hp,the 427s had 425hp-more like 500 and they held up with the tl.if you dont dump the clutch at 6000 with slicks regularly ,with street tires and no 6000 launches with slicks i should be fine,good suggestion on the manual valve body-been there,done that.i have manual shifted the c6 for over 30 years and it is nowhere near the fun as a manual trans.plus you have way more feel of control with the toploader. i cant wait to change back to a toploader
Last edited by fryedaddy on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fryedaddy

V8Throttle

Post by V8Throttle »

Fryedaddy, I have to agree that the top loader will be the most fun! Hopefully, it works great for many years of street pavement pounding.
1941 Ford Flathead Coupe, 1951 Henry J, 1965 Comet Caliente, 1967 Cyclone GT, 1968 Torino GT Fastback, 2008 Shelby GT 500 & 1976 Torino stockcar

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

thanks,i forgot to mention the other benefits of a manual trans-roll it off if the battery is dead,starter bad,etc. my c6 will roll start on a big hill at 30 mph
Last edited by fryedaddy on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i dont think i will be discussing this topic much till after christmas. got to get those grand babies some presents,so the clutch kit and shifter will have to wait a month or two.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i have all my stuff bought for the change over.new ford racing steel flywheel,centerforce duel friction clutch,pressure plate,to bearing,new shifter,all new arp bolts for the flywheel and pp,not to mention the toploader trans.i have everything but my flywheel bolts and they are supposed to be here friday. looks like i might get started this weekend
fryedaddy