ITS TIME TO SWAP

390 & up cid Monster Motors
fryedaddy

Re: ITS TIME TO SWAP

Post by fryedaddy »

oh yea,the clutch-pp i bought is double the holding power than stock but has a much lighter pedal than stock with the ball bearing design. that should help with my going bad knees.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i finally got all my 4 speed parts and got started on the swap.my neighbor was going to help me but my parts didn't come in in time.he moved across state 2 days ago and my part i needed to start the swap with came in the mail the same day.but i got my steel flywheel,clutch ,pp,bell, and 4 speed all bolted to the back of the engine today.its ready to drop in.i dread doing it by myself.it used to not bother me but all that back and forth under the car wears me out anymore.
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's when you learn to make every step count,,,,,stop and think ahead before you crawl under it,,,and take every tool with you the first time,,,,you ain't the only one that has been alone at a time like this,,,good luck and be careful..pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

good advice Pop,im used to working on it by myself.i never would let anybody help me before,but my wife almost refuses to let me do it myself,plus with my bad knees that makes me reconsider needing help too.main difference is when i was young i would not quit till i was either finished or didn't have the parts i needed.now,i go to the garage about a hour at a time over a period of a few days till i finish.
fryedaddy

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

fryedaddy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:16 pm
with my bad knees that makes me reconsider needing help too.main difference is when i was young i would not quit till i was either finished or didn't have the parts i needed.now,i go to the garage about a hour at a time over a period of a few days till i finish.
Lots of us in your shoes, brother. I plan ahead, take my time and chip away. Blowing and going ended 4 years ago.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you have a choice,,,,whine about being old and broke down like me and others on here or grab the bull by the horns !! my bet is you grab the bull horns and do the job at hand,,,look at it this way,,,you can take all the time you need to get to feeling better,,,,plus you'll heal faster driving your hot rod,,,take care of your self,,,rest and take plenty of breaks,,,drink plenty of water,,,,you'd be surprised how that water helps....that's what I do,I don't care how cold or hot the weather is,,,good luck and keep us posted pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i dont know if i told you or not Pop,but that is the forth transmission in the comet 2 4speeds a C6 auto,and now a 4 speed again,forth engine,3 390s and a 428.and also four rearend gears too,3.25,3.50,3.89, and 4.11. i dont know how many miles is on my comet body.i guess 250-300 thousand miles or so,maybe more. the speedo quit at 166,000 back in the 80s.almost all work done by me.its a good feeling when you take a stock vehicle,change cam,carb,exhaust,heads rear gear,etc and you end up with a car that runs way better than before.i really enjoy what we used to call souping them up.
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YOU are so right..it's mind boggling today's cars just need a computer hop up to get what we used to do with cams carbs exhaust etc...we would have to work our hinny off to change out parts ,,,today you plug and play with the puter..and POP is sad to say this puter stuff is mostly above me,,,,,that's why I'll always keep something around here for me to tinker with that I understand,,,,it may not out run a fat man,,,but it'll always be one to take me back in time :wink: :wink: me and this old red comet of mine share alot of good memories,,,I love to open the dumps and run thru the gears.....I'll never out grow it if I live to be a 100....and I bet you won't either....best of luck...pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i got my motor and trans in a couple days ago.i tried going in with both at the same time but i could not get the angle rite,so i had to pull the trans off and drop the motor and bell in,then i used a floor jack to slide the trans back on under the car.i took a little longer than i thought but i got it in.not complaining but i was so sore yesterday morning im taking a day or 3 off before i tackle the headers,shifter,z bar,rad,etc. but it is in.
fryedaddy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Congrats! Those of us that do it alone can do it when we feel the best & not when help can come. in a way it's better,you have time to rest when you need it,& think about the details. plus you can always to everything exactly like you want,& you know all the bolts are tight. a lot less confusion usually means only doing stuff once. we are anticipating a video of some gear jammin ! :D then maybe that sigpic will flip its frown upside down !
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

you are right about taking your time.i took my time 6 years ago when i put my new 428 in and i have driven it nearly daily since,with no problems. if it wasn't for the 35 year old c6 letting go i would still be driving it.yes a gear banging video is on the way,hopefully soon.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

well,i got my z-bar and shifter hooked up,rad,belts,hoses,carb on.still taking my time.my z-bar had been welded so i had to grind on it to get it working properly. i still like my headers,starter,and drive shaft.i had my shifter adjusted on the trans,but i had to take it off to install the trans in the car and when i put the shifter back on its out of adjustment,so im going to have to re-adjust it.everything is going ok.so far so good.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

BATTLE SCARS-i have been working on getting this motor and trans in for a couple weeks now.im down to pass side header and starter,thats going to be fun.i left the motor mounts loose on purpose because i have to jack the pass side of the motor up a couple inches to get the header on.and its still hard to wiggle in place.i had to take the suspension loose on that side the last time i put it on.that,the drive shaft and valve covers is about it. BUT i keep banging my wrists,arms,fingers,elbo on everything i install.my skin is getting thinner makes it worse.i just now got out from under my car,there was a thin spring hanging off the bottom of the z bar,it had snagged my arm and was stretching out as i was get out from under the car.seems like everything i touch gets me.but thats part of it.people look at my beat up arms at the store,they probably think im on drugs or have some kind of disease.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i just found out my driveshafts wont fit.i have one thats 54 inches.it came out of my car with the c6.its too short for the 4 speed.the other driveshaft i have is almost 59 inches long,it came out of a 289 fairlane, which is too long.i need a 66-67 fairlane gt or cyclone gt driveshaft which is 57 7/16 in length.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i found a 66 fairlane gt driveshaft.it is past knoxville,about a hour and a half drive.i worked out a deal with the owner.going to pick it up next weekend.that and a rubber shifter boot is all i need right now.the driveshaft im getting has the yolk on it i need with the 1330 universals.i could have the long driveshaft i have cut down but i would still need the yolk with the 1330s in it,so i guess i will buy the shaft.there are 3 different yolks for the toploader.small 28 spline,large 28 spline and the big 31 spline.i will have all three after i buy it.
fryedaddy