no spark

390 & up cid Monster Motors
fryedaddy

no spark

Post by fryedaddy »

i haven't got to drive my comet lately.after fixing the clutch linkage and it sat for about a year,i fired it up to see if the pedal felt ok,ran good but the next time i tried to crank it it would not fire up.it burned a hole in the rotor tip and melted the button in the dist cap.after replacing the cap and rotor im not getting a spark.it had rust in the dist is what caused the problem.the box or coil has conked out.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

fryedaddy

Re: no spark

Post by fryedaddy »

well my box quit on me,that makes 2 in the last 3 or 4 years. i went a different route this time,i left the box off and put a 20 dollar gm module in it.for some reason its way more responsive than it was with the box on it,revs like a small block.and i had to back the timing down 3 or 4 degree after switching to the module, very happy with it.
fryedaddy

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

What ignition were you running? Duraspark? I just bought a GM module to build a replacement for my duraspark in my Bronco II.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

it was all msd till i put the module on it.i dont have a rev limiter now that i got rid of the box,but thats ok,i didnt need it anyway
fryedaddy

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

MSD used to rebuild failed boxes but I don't know anymore.
Looked for the schematic online but couldn't find it.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i think im done with those boxes,i ran a malory duel point for 18 years,no problems,didnt even change or reset the points in it.switched to msd dist and box and had 2 boxes go bad in 4 or 5 years.if the module holds up good im done with the boxes,plus its snappier and it idles right away when cranking cold start with the module.
fryedaddy

StPro

Post by StPro »

fryedaddy wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:07 pm
i think im done with those boxes,i ran a malory duel point for 18 years,no problems,didnt even change or reset the points in it.switched to msd dist and box and had 2 boxes go bad in 4 or 5 years.if the module holds up good im done with the boxes,plus its snappier and it idles right away when cranking cold start with the module.
MSD = :D Miss Stutter Detonate
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Never owned an MSD and they must've been good at one time but I don't even read posts from people supporting them when negative feedback comes along
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:17 pm
Never owned an MSD and they must've been good at one time but I don't even read posts from people supporting them when negative feedback comes along
My '63 runs MSD. No problems since I bought it three years ago. The 6A control box was rebuilt some time in the past. Probably because some dip installed it under the overflow reservoir on the inner fender well. I moved the reservoir after I pulled the A/C dryer.

I love their distributors. Only takes a few minutes to tune.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

For sure no spark issues with the module.this thing is flying.running better than it ever has period! HAPPY!!! Its no street outlaw but its not bad for me.
fryedaddy