Starting problem

390 & up cid Monster Motors
Baldy

Starting problem

Post by Baldy »

OK fellas, I'm in the short rows on finishing the "freshening" of my 66 Cyclone GT. I found a correct list and part numbered Holly carb that has been beautifully rebuilt and restored. On the cars first shakedown run the carb performed great; no runs, no drips, no errors. But, when I go back to start the car after sitting for a day or two, I have to pump the crap out of the pedal to get it to start, this in turn screws with the initial choke "setting". After the car is first started, you can go back and start it with just a bump of the key, even after the evening news and a cold one or two 8) . I'm using a factory correct spacer plate (damn they is $$$) so, I don't think the primary bowl is "boiling dry" The fuel pump is new and I think I bought it from Mac's when they had one of those system specific sales going on. Now, I take instructions really well, got my own tools, and will furnish the parts, y'all just tell me what to do and I'll give it a whirl :D 8) :lol: .

I be thanking in advance,
Baldy

fairlaniac

Re: Starting problem

Post by fairlaniac »

Before you start it in a day or two, try to actuate the throttle by hand under the hood and watch if the fuel squirts out of the nozzles. Take note if it dribbles or has a good squirt.

Have you checked the float settings?
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Gee, thanks for the reply, thought I was going to have to lie and move it to the 64-65 section :D . The float levels seem right on the money, had to lower the secondary a good bit when I first started it. I'll check the squirting next time before starting. It just seems the fuel is all draining back from the carb after she sits for awhile ( just a feeling, nothing confirmed) and you have to spin the motor way too long and pump to get the squirting started again. I think I just figured out what you are thinking. I think I'll see if fuel is at the correct float level at the same time ( or before) I check the squirt.

Thanks ,
Eric

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Are you parking on an incline where a possible slight vacuum in the gas line may be siphoning the gas back into the tank over time? If so maybe back in next time and see if that helps.

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Thanks Flint. No it's sitting on the lift on a level floor.

Eric

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Is it possible the bowl is leaking down?
Johno

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

That's what I'm thinking , but. It ain't doing externally

Eric

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Evaporation? This new gas blend evaporates more quickly. Carbs are vented. Fuel in the bowl may be evaporating. Had a GTO that did the same thing. Started right up all the time unless it sat a few days, then had to crank the engine to refill bowl before it would squirt gas and start. couldnt find any problems. Buddy told me fuel was evaporating.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Having to crank after sitting for a day or so is normal for one of those damn edelbrocks,,check the throw on the acc pump...pop
pop/glenda

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Thanks guys. The tank has 100LL in it, so, no ethanol. POPS it isn't an Edelbrock, Holley on stock intake. I'll get to the shop Sunday morning and check the float level before I try to crank it and see how much is in the bowl and then I'll check for the squirt. Y'all got me headed down the right path I think.

Eric

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If you are using a 4150/4160 style Holley they make clear plugs for the side plugs on the fuel bowl so you can visually see the fuel level inside the bowl. As has already been said if you open the throttle before trying to start you should get a decent squirt of gas if there is any amount of fuel still in the bowl.
If mine has set for several days without being started I always pump the throttle several times before attenpting to start as it appears some of the fuel either evaporates or some may actually drain back to the fuel pump. Not ideal but it helps. Just something I live with.
Ron