63 comet build or part it out

The Round Body, Finned Comets
b1gkountry

63 comet build or part it out

Post by b1gkountry »

I just purchased another 63 comet 4dr. The problem is I didn't crawl under it till I was loading it. I noticed the passenger side strut bracket was hacked off the car. My question to you all is should I weld in a new one, or just part it out. I can weld a bit, but have never done big structural components before. This car has some great parts, trim, grille, all the bezels, and such. What say you!

Loner

Re: 63 comet build or part it out

Post by Loner »

It all comes down to you. Can you stick with it until the job is done? Being a 4 door for me it is just parts unless it is very clean.
Welding is the easy part for me, for others it may be difficult. One thing you can not learn how to do it without doing it. So think of it as a practice rig if it turns out don't part it out.
It's all up to you in the end.

Matt

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

"another" ? So how many do you have? Do you want to drive it or sell it if you fix it?
The parts are probably worth more than the car if they're decent.
So many questions,,, lol
Good luck with your decision :?:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

b1gkountry

Post by b1gkountry »

I think your right Matt I will give it a shot snd see how it turns out only payed 350 for the car. It's really straight. Only missing the front right stainless trim on front fender. It came with a nice extra grille. Floors are solid. And I also have a 5 lug front end off a 65 I can swap into it. May drop a 302 (that's just sitting in my shop) in it. This is the second 63 comet 4 door i've tackled, I don't do a full restore, just make them nice daily drivers and get them back on the road

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

b1gkountry wrote:I think your right Matt I will give it a shot snd see how it turns out only payed 350 for the car. It's really straight. Only missing the front right stainless trim on front fender. It came with a nice extra grille. Floors are solid. And I also have a 5 lug front end off a 65 I can swap into it. May drop a 302 (that's just sitting in my shop) in it. This is the second 63 comet 4 door i've tackled, I don't do a full restore, just make them nice daily drivers and get them back on the road
WAY to go !! I don't care if it is a more door....they are scarce and they don't need to crushed.....there is someone looking for it,I know a couple of guys that perfer 4doors,,,,,rather it be ford ,bow tie or a hup mobil....cause of thier grd kids and kids.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I just recalled,,many yrs ago,I was given a 63 4 door comet minus motor and standard tranny,,about that time my son traded for me a 2door falcon 6cyl standard shift,and beings the comet was a v8 car,I took all the v8 running gear and put under the falcon with a 64 5bolt 289 and a 2sp tranny,,,made a great driver,and that sucker would skoot down the hwy.Drove it til I finally got tired of it,pulled the motor out and gave it to a friend cause his truck broke down and they couldn't afford to fix it,he had a good sbf in his shed ,so we built him a neat ride....my wife got so upset with me for just giving it away after new seats ,exhaust brakes,etc.BUT I told her what goes around COMES around ,and maybe thats why I've always have had such a good life and with all the blessings I have recieved....who knows ...OL POP has helped many people with free parts and work ....but I've also been greatly aware of the person I'm trying to help.......I just recalled this after reading this post....have a nice day cause it's your day and it's up to you what you make of it......(most times)....POP
pop/glenda

Randall Ramsey

Post by Randall Ramsey »

Hello I am looking for a hood for a 63 Comet if you decide to part out.
Randall