Anybody ever use a short shackle on the rear?

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Lip Ripper

Anybody ever use a short shackle on the rear?

Post by Lip Ripper »

I bought spring's with a 1" built in drop but I want a little more. Have any of you made a shorter rear shackle to get it down? I'm wondering how far I can go and maintain frame clearance through the suspension travel.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Re: Anybody ever use a short shackle on the rear?

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used sliders from speedway, that could be put right on the frame, but I raised it some to about where they were. these are the ones I used for the comet but it has smaller bushings than your falcon. they have some for a camaro with 1.62'' diameter bushings but I'm not sure what a falcon bushing measures.

Imageimgur
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Hmm, metal on metal?
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No ,it has bearings that ride on the outsides next to the bolt head & nut. I made some thin SS washers to keep the alum bushings off of the inside ,because I thought it might wear too fast.
here is the one I used
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... wAodP9oBVw
here is one for a camaro, has a different bushing that MAY be closer to a falcon size. Though I dont know ,but I know falcons are bigger than comet bushings :?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Camaro-Le ... 60313.html
It says it is 1.62''
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you just want to lower it you could use lowering blocks. & if you need to move the rearend back for tire clearance speedway has the adjustable lowering blocks.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjustabl ... ,2153.html
they also have the regular ones.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

That's the way to go, thanks.

StPro

Post by StPro »

I bought the Chrysler units for my cal-trac split mono leaf springs it takes out all the shackle bind.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Okay, about the adjustable or offset lowering blocks. If I do that, my bottom plate/shock mount has to move too. This would upset the shock angle and the plate has a hole for the spring bolt in the center. Idea's?

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Okay, about the adjustable or offset lowering blocks. If I do that, my bottom plate/shock mount has to move too. This would upset the shock angle and the plate has a hole for the spring bolt in the center. Idea's?

If you look at the "Q&A" tab on the adjustable lowering block link, they say the lower plate doesn't move. But the U bolts are angled going thru the plate. If you adjust the blocks to front or rear limits the U bolts will have a substantial angle.

Now this makes sense because the hole in the plate for the spring center bolt would keep the plate in the same place.

If you have enough room in the plate to redrill U bolt holes, then you could weld existing hole and redrill new holes for U bolts to keep then straight(er)

Do you need to move axle rear or forward? If not you could just use standard lowering blocks and not have to worry about it.

Lou

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'd like to move it back 1". Offset U-bolts seem weird. And then of course the shock angle goes into a bind. Sigh.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

You would prob need to fab some new lower plates then. The angled U bolts don't sound good.

Lou

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

That's what I'm thinking too; dangit.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Another thing that would concern me is, will the spring pad on axle overhang off the back of the adjustable lowering blocks hen pin is moved back??

Say the block is about the same length as the pad. With the pin centered in the block the pad should be completely supported on the block. Now if you move the adjustable pin back 1" the spring pad on axle housing is moving back a inch, will the pad still completely supported on block? Or does it hang off the back of the block?

With torque on the rear the pinion will rise... I would want to make sure the back of the spring pad was supported... Would actually want the whole spring pad supported but especially the rear part.

Not saying it is going to happen but would want to know the length of block before buying. And make sure it was long enough to support the whole spring pad even when adjustable pin was moved a inch.

Just some thoughts.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

LR I have a set of comet plates that would probably be just right for this, bigger than a falcon plate made for the rubber isoclamp of the comets, for the price of the stamps they are yours. I had 2 sets & now have caltracs with their own plates. If your interested I'll dig them out & measure to be sure & take pics. I think some pics in my build thread....somewhere :roll: that I altered for 3'' tubes but sent flyin on a rocket!!!! :lol:
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Are you talking about spring/shock plates? I have an 8.8. Thanks just the same though. I really appreciate it.

Stacey