62 Comet Custom Window Crank removal

The Round Body, Finned Comets
birdman31

62 Comet Custom Window Crank removal

Post by birdman31 »

On my 62 Comet Custom ... I have the tool to remove the driver door window crank.... but with no luck. There is a spring behind the panel there as well that seems odd. Any
pointers? Does the tool slide just behind the chrome part of the crank or behind the plastic washer on the crank?? I know the tool slides in from the same path as the crank handle sets.... SOooo... any helpful hints to try??

poboyjo65

Re: 62 Comet Custom Window Crank removal

Post by poboyjo65 »

that spring holds to panel against the crank handle,for a more airtight fit. if you get a little mirror & light to see the clip might help orient how to push the tool. I've pulled a shipload of them off with a small seal pic,,a little hook,,,before I had the right tool.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've had better luck pulling the clips with a hooked pick, like John said, than using the "proper" tool to push the clip out. I push the panel in to compress the spring behind it and gain some space between the panel and the handle. Then I slide the hook down parallel to the clip until it bumps the journal on the handle, rotate it 90* to engage the hook in the top of the clip, and pull. Turn the open end of the hook toward the handle, not the panel, so you don't run the risk of ripping the panel when you pull. Good luck! :D

Jim

birdman31

Post by birdman31 »

Thanks brother Jim.... will see if I can use the pick... Awesome Cyclone!!!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks, birdman. Just stay back 20 feet and you won't be disappointed. :roll: It's day is coming, though.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Oh BTW, I have an aftermarket window crank on mine that has a set screw instead of a clip. I hate it :x ,it wont stay on. I have another one (an original) polished up ,just haven't messed with it yet.
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Anybody got any pictures of the process? I’m re-upholstering my door panels and I can’t get these window cranks off to save my life :x
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

several video's on it. I use to laugh at a lot of these but even your average bozo can save you time by knowing which wrenches to use & what stuff looks like .
there are several;
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... nk+removal
Johno

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »