63 V8 conversion wiring

The Round Body, Finned Comets
MartyEngineBuilder

63 V8 conversion wiring

Post by MartyEngineBuilder »

In the middle of a 302 swap (331) on my 63, want to know what ya'll did for the wiring( under hood wiring ). Understand its simple wiring, but did ya'll use 260/289 wiring to make it easier? or just use the stock wiring(6 cyl). the car needs new wiring in general and think about would it be easier on a HEI distributor, Alternator,electric water pump conversions later on, as well as using harnesses with the bulk head connectors vs running all wiring without?
- LittleRocketComet

tomb22

Re: 63 V8 conversion wiring

Post by tomb22 »

Under the heading Body Shop there is a subject called ( Wiring ideas for your car). You might want to take a look thru those posts for some ideas.
tom
tomb's 65

MartyEngineBuilder

i looked there but didn't find the answers i am looking for.
- LittleRocketComet

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

All depends on how comfortable you are with wiring. On my Comet I will build a harness from scratch, my car and I like wiring. Most of the cars I wire I use a aftermarket harness. Used Ron Francis for the last 4/5. Reasonable price and pretty easy to use. The wires are printed with where they go, like every 6 inches or so, For example the wire for Left rear t/s will have "left rear t/s" printed right on the wire every 6 inches or so the entire length. They have a few to chose from and provisions for electric pimp and such.

As far as bulk head connectors I avoid them and like to run wire without. The exception is for the gauge cluster. This is so I can remove the cluster in the future without having to disconnect each wire separately. Easier to disconnect one main connector to remove cluste r.

Your building a 50+ year old car, IMO rewire it or chase gremlins.

Lou

MartyEngineBuilder

took your advice, once i took the engine wiring out and saw how bad the corrosion was, got a ez harness from a buddy i know who had one lying around. If i cant save the connectors how did you wire the stuff with odd ball connectors ie headlights,taillights?
- LittleRocketComet