1962 Comet Build Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
darryl27529

Re: 1962 Comet Build Thread

Post by darryl27529 »

Update. Been working on some small things today trying to get the Comet road worthy. I set the timing and ran the vacuum line for the distributor advance. Seems to be working pretty well. Also ran a new vacuum line for the windshield wipers and I was happy to see they started working! Also installed some mirrors on the outside. These are the Scott Drake ones that are $27 per mirror and they come with hardware. I have tried the Bullet mustang style and some larger ones from MAC auto and I like these better. The mirror part is bigger and the base is a little smaller than those. Working on my list. Stay safe.
Mirror4.jpg
Mirror4.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Mirror3.jpg
Mirror3.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Mirror2.jpg
Mirror2.jpg (77 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Mirror1.jpg
Mirror1.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
ImageImage

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

darryl27529 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:24 pm
Has anyone done the Shelby drop on a Comet? I am thinking the drop works for these early Comets but wondering how much of a difference it makes. Any input is appreciated.
I did the shelby drop on my car, the stance didnt really change that much but i also replaced springs at the same time, it does seem to handle better, but that could also be from all the new bushings as well :roll: at the end of the day its definitely not going to hurt anything, you can buy upper control arms that use the stock mounting hole but have the drop built into the arm itself, they are pricey but are a nice option if you dont want to drill extra holes into your shock towers

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1904-m ... shaft.aspx

you will have to use the v8 spindles if you arent already,

follow up question whose headers are you using? i dont see it mentioned anywhere, the early manifolds on my car are ok but they touch the steering box and its causing vibration throughout the car which is getting annoying.
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Thanks for the input regarding the Shelby drop. The front is sitting up a little bit relative to the back. I have 1 inch lowering springs in the front and 1 inch lowering springs in the back but i think it dropped a little more with the axle swap and the new spring perches. I like it but want the front a touch lower.

I am running stock exhaust manifolds. The previous owner put them on the engine. I think its a 1979 302. Its close but its doesnt touch as least that I have seen. Keep in mind that I am just driving in my driveway and down the street. I have not seem any interference. I can send some pictures if that helps you. Just let me know.
ImageImage

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Quick update. Horn is now working and the turn signals. I kept fiddling with the turn signals and after uncovering some electrical tape I realized there were a couple of wires making an intermittent connection. My advice to anyone working on an old car is learn how to properly splice and solder. It really helps to make things more reliable. Also installed a Sunpro Mini Tach on the column. I ended up using JB Weld to bond it onto the column. I like the way it looks and it was pretty inexpensive. During that process I realized the coil was wired backwards.

Mike, I am on my second starter solenoid too. Same issue with over torquing the first one.

My list is getting shorter which I think is a good thing. I still have to get parking brake adjusted. It feels like the hand pull is not actuating far enough to engage the ebrake on the new axle. I really want that solved before I take off down the street.

Thats about it for now. Stay safe.
ImageImage

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

darryl27529 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 am
Mike, I am on my second starter solenoid too. Same issue with over torquing the first one.
Glad I am not the only one to break perfectly good parts :roll: :P
darryl27529 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 am
I kept fiddling with the turn signals and after uncovering some electrical tape I realized there were a couple of wires making an intermittent connection. My advice to anyone working on an old car is learn how to properly splice and solder.
Even though I have owned my Comet longer than anyone else I thought after 55 years it was a good time to change it all out (I may have made some of those sketchy patch together wiring jobs through the years), I did re-use the fuel gauge wire because the plug end fit the new gas tank and the grommet that goes through the floor was still in good shape, but at the front when I stripped the insulation back on the wire instead of the copper underneath being bright and shiny it is dull, maybe it always looked like that but suspect air intrusion over time has oxidized the wire inside the jacket, I don't think it is enough to affect the performance of the wire just an observation, a wire that has been knicked through the years could have significant corrosion inside and you wouldn't know it.

Again all that might not make any difference.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Need some suggestions. I have been draining the battery pretty quickly. I converted the Comet to a GM style alternator. With the red and white pigtail connnected to the alternator, I am drawing 3.6 Amps. Disconnected its about 0.07 Amps. I have the diode in place and it checks with a multimeter tester. I am starting to think the voltage regulator in the alternator is bad. It will charge but it just drains the battery when connected and the switch is off. Anyone else seen that?
ImageImage

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Think I figured it out. Pin 1 on the alternator is the signal to tell it to charge. I have it connected at the voltage regulator (that has been gutted) which also has the starter solenoid connection so basically its always sitting at the battery voltage. Gonna try connecting to the + side of the coil so that its only seeing voltage when the switch is ON. I think that will work.
ImageImage

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Hope everyone is doing good and getting ready for Thanksgiving. I am certain that we all have a lot to be thankful for this year. Just got to work on the Comet this weekend after a couple months off from it. I have been chasing an issue with the alternator. I did the GM 1 wire conversion and the belt was slipping so I tightened it and then the small alternator fan would rub. I picked up a new aluminum bracket off ebay and then needed pulleys to get everything aligned. It still puts up a good fight. The good news is that I drove it around my neighborhood this weekend. Its one of those cars where people stop and try to figure out what it is. One of my neighbors told his story about a 64 Falcon. I promised him a joy ride once its ready for the road. Its idling a little rough and I found one vacuum leak and I suspect there is another one. Hope to be on the road by Christmas. We'll see.
62 Comet hood up.jpg
62 Comet side.jpg
62 Comet back.jpg
62 Comet back.jpg (136.75 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
Attachments
62 Comet side.jpg
62 Comet side.jpg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
62 Comet hood up.jpg
62 Comet hood up.jpg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
ImageImage

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It's a good looking rascal for sure,,,hard to beat those whls on a red comet,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

darryl27529 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:18 pm
I have been chasing an issue with the alternator. I did the GM 1 wire conversion and the belt was slipping so I tightened it and then the small alternator fan would rub. I picked up a new aluminum bracket off ebay and then needed pulleys to get everything aligned. It still puts up a good fight.
Hey, D! Nice to bump into you here. :D

Bought a '63 hardtop 3 months ago and have the Delco 1 wire alternator. Have to do a little work to get the alignment better, myself. I have the schematic to chase down everything but haven't gotten around to it yet. Still shaking out other minor bugs. When I pull on the headlight switch, the volt meter bottoms out. Alternator is charging well. Think I have some sketchy connections as well.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe I put on a new voltage regulator when I was swapping engines & other stuff & the volt gauge would go crazy, after trying a couple more new ones I put the old rusty regulator back on & it did fine,so I just painted it & kept it on.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:55 pm
Joe I put on a new voltage regulator when I was swapping engines & other stuff & the volt gauge would go crazy, after trying a couple more new ones I put the old rusty regulator back on & it did fine,so I just painted it & kept it on.
I don't know much about Chevys but I believe the regulator is built into the one wire alternator? It replaced the original generator and the charging circuit has been re-wired. I need to do my homework with the schematic before I dive into it. I believe the meter is at the end of the chain. The meter is also aftermarket. I'll find it, eventually.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Hi All. I hope your 2021 is starting off well. I have been chasing a few minor issues. One was a vacuum leak that turned out to be a rubber port snub that had cracked. Also decided to align the front and I could not adjust the tie rod ends enough to pull out the toe-in. My guess is that the centerlink is a Mustang version which a little too long. I found OpenTracker who offers a shorter centerlink for Falcons so I placed an order today. Opentracker has some other cool looking items (roller perches, roller control arms, roller idler arms) and I like the idea of lower friction for better steering and handling. Anyone else used these parts to improve handling or steering? I really haven't driven the Comet yet enough to know how good it drives.
ImageImage

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Hi All.

I thought I would share findings related to the centerlink on the Mercury Comet vs Ford Mustang. I have seen a fair amount of topics but never the measurements so here goes. All dimensions based on centerline distances. The dog chewed on the tape measure so it could be a little bit off. The new shiny one is the Falcon centerlink from OpenTracker.
Falcon/Comet
Idler to Inside Tie = 3 inch
Inside Tierod to Inside Tierod = 18 1/4 inch
Inside Tierod to Pitman Arm = 3 inch

Mustang
Idler to Inside Tie = 3 1/2 inch
Inside Tierod to Inside Tierod = 18 5/8 inch
Inside Tierod to Pitman Arm = 3 1/2 inch
center 3.jpg
center 3.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
center 2.jpg
center 2.jpg (60.82 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
center 1.jpg
center 1.jpg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
ImageImage

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yes it's pretty common knowledge around here to get 65 falcon/comet centerlink when upgrading to 65 manual steering but if you dont mind we will use your pic in this thread which is in the ''drivetrain'' section;
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=15083
to show because a pic grabs attention better than words in a big thread & may help someone from making the mistake of getting all stang parts. but you'll have a good driving car now but there may be some other useful info,& links to more useful info in the thread to make it even better.

I hope he didnt chew up the one the end looks like a 100 ft tape! :o
Johno