(At age 16 and on) Cristian’s 1962 Mercury comet s-22 build thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Cris4942

Re: (At age 16 and on) Cristian’s 1962 Mercury comet s-22 build thread

Post by Cris4942 »

Also, is the nylon sleeve supposed to become conductive once the point is met with current?

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I'm not quite sure. I've dealt with this for manual shifters but not automatics. The manual switch is different, plunger-type.
I'm looking at an exploded view of the parts from the catalog and it's not very clear. I haven't been able to find it in the shop manual as well. Don't know why it isn't covered. Did you jump the switch with a wire to see if it worked?

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:31 pm
I'm not quite sure. I've dealt with this for manual shifters but not automatics. The manual switch is different, plunger-type.
I'm looking at an exploded view of the parts from the catalog and it's not very clear. I haven't been able to find it in the shop manual as well. Don't know why it isn't covered. Did you jump the switch with a wire to see if it worked?

JT
Yeah I did, works wonderfully. I had also looked through the manual extensively and found nothing but a few mentions and nothing else (it’s actually why I had dropped finishing it until now) . I think maybe I could drop some soldered metal droplets in it, see if maybe that does it. I’m not sure how the catalog portrays it to play together but really that’s my best guess.
I’ve been wanting to get one so It doesn’t seem like a bad way to go.
Also, did you buy the catalog? Is there any way to find it online?

Im assuming this might be what you are looking at?
Attachments
633381B4-0CA9-4EF8-88D0-C0A0D1EAA0B6.jpeg
633381B4-0CA9-4EF8-88D0-C0A0D1EAA0B6.jpeg (200.08 KiB) Viewed 1986 times

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Really, if I could take a look at how the copper contact look- I’m sure there’d be some direction as to what to do.

Nylon isn’t really conductive- and well I just realized that the groove found in the nylon sleeve and metal is probably a creation from passing current while testing the switch out.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Christen...I did some searching and found the Ford Forum thread linked below. It's for a 62 Falcon wagon with Fordomatic, but I would think that it should be like yours. The switch he shows looks identical to yours, but the nylon sleeve is completely different. It appears to completely encompass the shifter tube and has two copper bars that are supposed to make contact with the switch. This guy's problem was that the nylon sleeve had slid on the shift tube so that the copper bars weren't making contact with the switch. I don't see any bars on your sleeve. Maybe your nylon sleeve has broken and the part with the copper bars has fallen off and slid down the steering column. :?
https://www.fordforumsonline.com/thread ... ing.24257/

Jim

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hey Jim- I think you may be spot on. I saw the thread earlier kinda overlooked it since the nylon sleeve is different but I think you and Joe are right. Im going to try and see if I can somehow stick a magnet and pull them up if they still exist. If not, I may consider setting up a toggle switch or perhaps make some myself.

Thank y’all

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Schristian this is an opportunity for you to become the resident expert on this.
SeeYa,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Not sure a magnet is going to help you. The sleeve is nylon and the bars on it are copper, so there is nothing magnetic for a magnet to grab on to. To "repair" correctly, I think you'll have to pull the column. Even so, I'd be surprised if the sleeve is a part you could find short of a miracle find at a junk yard. I'd try to find a source for that part before tearing anything apart. The easiest "fix", like you say, would be to install a toggle switch for your back up lights. :roll:

Jim

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 pm
Not sure a magnet is going to help you. The sleeve is nylon and the bars on it are copper, so there is nothing magnetic for a magnet to grab on to. To "repair" correctly, I think you'll have to pull the column. Even so, I'd be surprised if the sleeve is a part you could find short of a miracle find at a junk yard. I'd try to find a source for that part before tearing anything apart. The easiest "fix", like you say, would be to install a toggle switch for your back up lights. :roll:

Jim
You know Jim, I realized that a bit too late. On the good side of things I tested out the magnet on my car and there is only one area which may have bondo- so it was not all that of a bad buy. I think I’m definitely going with the toggle switch- I’ll simply remove the kill switch I had previously installed and use it. Now, I am pretty much going to wire my cigarette lighter as my kill switch at least until I can buy some horns to which I’ll install a three post switch to serve as a mini alarm. :evil:

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hey guys I’ve been working- hence I have enough money to actually buy welding equipment. Now, I’m a little concerned about how to go about it:

The comet is an unibody car as we know. Now, I took another look and well it’s scaling on the sheet metal in the underside and the inner sides further into the frame from the hole in which I can see. So I’m questioning the best way I can go about resolving as much as I can smartly. Here’s a few pictures. Now the back end where the metal is thinner should be little to no problem I’m more concerned about the areas in which the leaf spring are to be mounted ( I’ll also replace the bushings temporarily until I can replace the leaf springs too). I’ve thought about removing the back part of the frame and cleaning up the whole backend while I’m at it- meaning I could rebuild the frame with more ease at my workbench and having the availability of ensure that my trunk pan won’t rot in the future. I could potentially try my best to scrape as much as I can, apply rust reformer, and a rust transforming and preventative paint from the cuts I’ll make but I’m not sure how far I’ll be able to get while cleaning efficiently. If anyone can chime in I’ll appreciate it.
Attachments
92317D8D-EE67-4AF6-84E6-9B61E7B75159.jpeg
92317D8D-EE67-4AF6-84E6-9B61E7B75159.jpeg (188.56 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
79644B99-D881-4F59-9232-70AF57C2B220.jpeg
79644B99-D881-4F59-9232-70AF57C2B220.jpeg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
7D52E809-F2D6-4EB1-AD88-E5573CCCD43D.jpeg
7D52E809-F2D6-4EB1-AD88-E5573CCCD43D.jpeg (221.46 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
9A330864-EA99-4022-8BD1-9E7DB325A9BB.jpeg
9A330864-EA99-4022-8BD1-9E7DB325A9BB.jpeg (245.71 KiB) Viewed 1950 times

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hello! Been a while but here I am. I just finished fixing all my electrical components so all my dash lights work, my reverse, and my tail lights. Pretty fun if I must say so. Now I got a few questions...

Now, does anyone know where I could find the dash light sockets- I am only in need of two (Single and double wire) so that I can finish up?

Where does the wiring for the dome light run through? My assembly is still there so I might just hook it up.

Does anyone else have trouble grounding the license plate light?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is an online shop manual.I didn't see it at a glance in there but you might find it useful for other things if you dont have it already.
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=front
My 65 is routed up thru the driverside C pillar,split off from the harness for the tail lights.
you might have to find those sockets used.
Johno

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hello Guys! It's been a while, but I am back reporting a couple of things I've carried out.

Starting with the best improvements, I went with an electric fan, an aluminum radiator, and a one wire alternator :shock:
I know what many of you are going to say- " an inline six does not require a fancy electric fan or a one wire alternator"
You are totally correct. It does not. So, why did I went on to commit such a crime?
Well, it all began with me deciding to take my good o'l Comet to college. Initially I was planning to take my beetle, as it's "more reliable", but I changed my mind seeing as to how I would need to transport it to the U.S. and carry out a number of legal actions. Plus, I couldn't let down my car after driving it all throughout high school.

So, I wanted to tackle one main issue that would really disrupt my swift riding: overheating. Now, I previously cleaned out my radiator, tightened my belt, and retarded the timing on my car slightly which gave me what was needed to ride comfortably. The only issue I arrived at was idling temperatures. Now, if y'all don't know, an accident in Houston can easily turn a 30 min drive home into an an hour and a half plus hour drive home. What does this mean? Well, although my temperature didn't sky rocket immediately during the spring, it sure did in the summer- especially progressively at idle. So, if traffic was to come to an abrupt stop, I would either have to rev my engine or pray to God to cool down.

Moving on, I installed a three core aluminum radiator meant for a 5.0 conversion from Champions Cooling, which fits almost correctly out of the box- I had to cut slight edges on the radiator brackets to mimic the stock brass radiator bracket. Remember: the stock 2 core radiator that the I6 comet provided can only do much even with an electric fan. After that, I bought an electric pusher fan from SPAL separate from the offered one from Champions, as they provide a cheap reversible fan that measures at 3-3 1/2. Not only does it not work as good as the SPAL, but it also wouldn't have fit on either side as one is left with about an 1 1/2'' from the motor and 3'' from the hood support bracket. The SPAL was slightly cheaper including the relay package, and rates at around 1600 CFM or 1300 theoretically- being that it's a pusher. Now I'm not proud, but I had to cut a curve into the front of the car where the top lip of the stock radiator sits, as a pusher will not sit correctly unless done so. Once again, I would have installed a puller, but the inline 6 prevents a puller unless a two core and a slim 2"- 2 1/2" fan was installed- I simply wanted the luxury of a three core. I may or may not change my set up once I change to a V8. I had to change: the thermostat housing to one that had an entrance for a thermal switch, the radiator hoses (both flex and of bigger diameter- can be found at autozone), and had to slightly shorten the transmission cooling lines as I currently run an auto trans. The wiring is very self explanatory, as the diagram below demonstrates. Now, as to the alternator ( the generator will probably not do enough to power the electric fan efficiently) I got myself a 100 amp one wire from Jeggs ( I know a little high, but I'm planning on slowly adding more things- just a safe range). If anyone would like one, I recommend one of the alternators that carry the gen light function (yes, Jeggs created a few one wires), because I didn't notice and really love the function. I had to install a voltmeter (not a bad thing, but gen light was much cooler). To carry out the procedure, all cables but the one that goes to ignition can be deleted ( do not delete the horn wiring, but simply rewire it directly to the starter selenoid). Next, if an alt is used in accordance to an I6, Falcon Parts makes brackets so that one will not have to change timing covers and brackets to that of a maverick, etc. I had two use a couple of washers to sit the top bracket level with the bottom, allowing one to properly position the alternator. Apart from that I had to cut 1/4 of the bottom bracket of the alternator and use it at the front of the alt in-between the bracket , as the alternator was to forward into place leaving the belt slanted- probably wasting belts if used. I also had to get a slightly bigger belt.

Altogether I also fixed the flange gasket which I did not place properly last time, reorganized the wiring and retaped it all together, change the engine and trans fluid, fixed the bent transmission tube for the hated two speed auto and made a working dipstick out of one of a Chevy Express (cover the filler tube, otherwise it will throw out fluid), tightened a leaky carb and made resized a caved in vacuum line, set the time at around 8BTC for gas mileage and smoothness, slightly altered my carb adjustments, changed the air filter, replaced all my previous connections with solder, painted the valve and carburetor cover ( I needed to resize a drilled head whole :/ (previous owners) and change the valve cover gasket, added the water pump gasket (it was METAL TO METAL), put the interior all together ( with the exception of the courtesy light, I need to tweak a couple of things), changed the electrical gas pump placement to its proper position, added a heat cover the gas line close to the motor ( and will soon make a fuel vapor return line to the gas tank - going to look into EGR too), fixed a lot of the wiring ( i need to add resistor to the turn signal light, and fix the license plate light), integrated most of the front again, and some misc.

What am I looking to to do next? Well, for the sake of my father's worries, I will most likely make a front disk brake swap soon along other things such as fixing the heater motor, change steering wheel, etc. Yes, a little overkill, but I am planning to carry it out in the future anyways, so why not go ahead and do it?

The car now cools within seconds, runs active highway speeds with no problem (im making sure not to rile up the rpms I promise) , and is as smooth as a cat's purr. I am seriously cool.

https://imgur.com/a/DHS4Lp6

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Wow, Cristian! You've done a TON of work since your last post, and it all sounds like it's worked out great. Those pics of your engine bay look sharp. I'm impressed by how much you've learned and taught yourself.

Looking back at your thread, you had talked about rust repairs that you need to do. Any plans in the works for that?

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you did well, GRASSHOPPER !! POP is proud of you,,take care and best of luck,,,and never let ANYBODY tell you that you can't do something......POP
pop/glenda