(At age 16 and on) Cristian’s 1962 Mercury comet s-22 build thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
poboyjo65

Re: (At age 16 and on) Cristian’s 1962 Mercury comet s-22 build thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

any time you remove front end parts you will need a front end alignment,so it's nothing to be upset about. :D If you can find an old school shop with an older man working there you'll be better off. these old cars are more aggravating to get right.
Johno

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

That is actually my first move but, the tires are like just too caved in and one more than the other. Plus tires are just sorta squeaking or sliding. More like they are just sliding. Don’t want to tow, cause money is tight so I want to probably adjust it a bit before getting an alignment

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You could check toe in with a tape measue. it is the most crucial adjustment. if you can hold a straight edge ,pc of something straight like angle iron on the lower part of the tires level or tie it on somehow & check front & back with the tape. make sure you check in the same place next to the tire on both. shouldn't be no more than 1/4'' less at front. camber wont wear out tires in a short distance like way off toe in will, so if you can get the toe close you'll be ok to drive it to a shop.

this might help give you an idea what & how to to it,use what ya got!
https://www.amazon.com/Longacre-LON52-7 ... 4KG5V59EVM
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You said you changed out all the suspension components except the pitman arm, upper control arms (UCA) and springs. The caster and camber on your car are adjusted using shims between the UCA shaft and the spring towers, not the lower control arm (LCA). If you did not change any of the shims on the UCAs, your caster and camber should only have been affected by the amount of slack you took out of the system by installing new parts, which should not have been drastic. Like John said, camber is not going to affect tire wear unless it's way out of whack, and then it's going to take a good while. Toe-in, however, has the biggest impact on tire wear. Since you replaced all your tie rod ends, your toe-in is probably WAY off, enough to cause the scuffing or squealing sound you hear.
Again, like John said, you can rough-in the toe-in setting good enough to get you to the alignment shop yourself using a tape measure and two straight edges.
First, you need to make sure the driver's side front wheel is pointing straight ahead. Tie a string onto the rear spring behind the rear wheel and pull it around the outside sidewall of the rear tire to past the front tire. Now, turn the front wheel until the string just "kisses" the leading and trailing sidewalls of the front tire at the same time. When you have the string touching the rear tire side walls and the front tire sidewalls at the same time, you've got the front tire pointing straight ahead.
Now, you need to attach a straight edge to the outside sidewall of each front tire just above the bulge caused by the weight of the car on the tire. You could use a couple of stiff yard sticks or other stiff sticks if you don't have any steel angle. Tie them on with a piece of rope or a bungee strap wrapped around the tire, and make sure they are level with the ground and at the same height on each side of the car.
Make sure your driver's side tire remains straight with the string, and measure between the sticks right against the tread on the front and back of the tires. Since you're measuring so far off the center line of the tire, your front measurement should be about 1/4" less than your rear measurement. If you need to make an adjustment, which I'm sure you will, make it by turning the tie rod adjusting sleeve on the passenger side of the car. The slicker the surface the tires are resting on, the easier the adjustment will be. Be sure to check your string each time before taking a measurement to be sure it's touching both sidewalls of the front tire. When you get your 1/4" toe-in, tighten the adjusting sleeve bolts.
Your steering wheel will likely be crooked going down the road, but they can fix that at the alignment shop. Also, put your best two tires on the front before getting the alignment. Uneven tread wear can affect the steering and give a false indication of performance during the post-alignment test drive. And as soon as you can afford it, put some decent tires on that car. We want you around for a while. :wink: Good luck!

Jim

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hey guys it’s been a while now, I’ve been on Mexico! I’m still on mexico actually. I need a little bit of help I got a 1994 vw bug over here and it’s not working properly. It’s fuel injected. Now it started feeling weak a few days ago when adding gas. Now it can completely die at times unless I step on the clutch when adding gas. This morning my older brother brought it and told me it was dying and feeling very stupid. I thought the fuel filter could have been dirty so unplug it and blew through it, and nope clear. Changed it anyway for good measure. Hearing it sounded like it was running rough. Not tough where the motor is like dying from fuel starvation, but a noticeable low idle. What’s weird to me it’s how at times it won’t start, and others it will start up perfectly fine. I want to say that it’s not the ignition or spark cause of how even the motor sounds wether at high or low idle. Actually what I want to point towards is fuel pressure or the fuel pump itself. Here’s why, earlier today I stalled right, and the motor would just spin. So I got out open the hood took off the air filter and put my hand on top of the carburetor opening. Lord and behold my dad spins it and it turns on ata very low idle. After that it would turn again very weakly, but when attempting to give it gas, it felt like it was almost going to die before it revved up. I feel like crap, I know my dad wants to take it to a mechanic out of good faith, but If it’s going to be my car for college then I want to work on it myself. Maybe I’m not in the right direction yet, but I know I can do it. Anyone gots suggestions? Also here’s a picture of her
Attachments
C6F84285-3E80-48A7-AC43-E298C49162C1.jpeg
C6F84285-3E80-48A7-AC43-E298C49162C1.jpeg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

So haha guess who was right on the spot? Me. Although I personally didn’t get to fix it sadly ),: the guy told us that one of the gas line let air come in which didn’t keep up the pressure. He also did a time adjustment, a little bit of advancement, I’ll just keep an eye out on the performance of it. But yeah, I feel proud

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You should feel proud. You reasoned your way through the problem and correctly figured out the nature of the problem. Doesn't matter that a mechanic actually turned the wrenches. The important thing is that you're learning to trouble shoot and logically work through a problem. That will be important as you do more of the work yourself, and also when you have work done by others. You'll be better able to tell if they are being honest with you, or just shooting you a line to try to make money. Anything you learn by doing yourself or watching others do goes into your "toolbox" that you can go to when you run across a similar problem. Good luck with the bug, but don't forget about that Comet. :wink:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP is proud of you !!!.......you did good,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hi guys, I got back from Mexico. I promise I haven’t forgotten about my Comet (: after all it’s the one thing I truly treasure. I turned it on the other day, and it sounds real smooth after adjusting the time a little bit. I haven’t gotten to align it, since I’m trying to figure out a place closer to me that aligns old cars. Only think I need to do is adjust one of the terminals like Jim suggested. Camber is a little wonky but I’ll just let the alignment shop handle it.

I haven’t finished my light relay system just yet since school is taking much of my times, I have the most advanced classes I can take, and they sorta do a lot.

Also, figured out my gear ratio. Not sure how the heck I didn’t before since it’s literally right on the door plate. I have a gear ratio of 30.20:1 with the normal 170 2 speed. To what I understand, it’s probably the best stock gearing for high speed cruising. Last time I checked, most I could do was 55 without overheating. I know I haven’t done much worth of gaining power, but since I cleaned out the cooling system from all the gunk it had. I’m going to be a little faithful and see if maybe it could hit 60 without overheating. There’s no real reason behind it, but I just want to check it out.

Thanks, y’all. I hope you are all safe
Attachments
BE55F3B4-FF34-4EFC-9A25-78835739DF39.jpeg
BE55F3B4-FF34-4EFC-9A25-78835739DF39.jpeg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You said your axle ratio was 30.20:1. I'm sure you meant 3.20:1. Can't make out the numbers on your door panel well enough, but I'm thinking your axle code is 3, which is for the 3.20:1 axle. That was the lowest ratio offered on the Comet in 62, and you're right, that would make it the best for highway cruising. I thought you had backed off the timing a bit so you weren't getting engine knock. That should have helped with the overheating. Push it on up there and see how it does. On another note, it sounds like you've got a busy school year ahead. What classes are you taking?

Jim

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Hey guys long time no talk! Also Jim I’m currently taking IB Courses which go over the various subjects offered separately of each core subject.It’s simply normal work but far much of it.

So to recap what has happened. I completed the headlight relay system completely from scratch ( I do need to fix a little portion in which I messed up but I’m sorta sick doing homework) . I got the car aligned after using a tape measured as suggested, and it goes up to 65 without overheating. It goes along the lines of 200f but never past that. I do however simply keep it at 60 just to be safe. I have yet to put back the grill since I can’t find a headlight bezel for the left side. It was all really rotten so I had to cut out a section and tac it in with a gun. Hopefully in the future when I get a welder I’ll do the fix nice and proper. Also I had to get a new battery cause the one I had completely became garbage, and I had to get new battery terminals cause the one I had broke. And the new snapped ( I overtightened not knowing terminal sizes are different. The point is that I took a whole day to fix a whole lot of little issues such as the belt, battery tray, loose connections, etc.
My next project would be of fixing the exhaust since it’s sorta hanging from the back (the rubber ones). If anyone know which supports work I’d love help. Also since college is going to be free for anyone in Harris county this year I’m considering taking a great step since the colleges are near. I am considering either undertaking an engine build and transmission swap, a rear end conversion, or fixing up the frame that rusted in the back. Eventually I’m going to get to all of these but who knows. I’m leaning more towards the last one since the spring leafs are quite old and the rubbers are shot. So i might as well replace it for better safety.
Also I realize I made a mistake when replacing the suspension. By that I mean that I should’ve upgraded to the v8 suspension of a falcon rather than staying with the i6 since I’m eventually planning to swap the motor to a 289 or a 302 build of my own. It makes me feel a little dumb but I understand in the end it’ll just be a beauty. Cost wise it would be smarter to start the welding then move on to the diff conversion and eventually the motor build. I think I may go in that direction. Lastly I’d like to say that I’m planning to get my ASE certification in college.
Hope you all had a great thanksgiving!
Attachments
22CAE38D-F318-47D6-9689-B6E2F00147C2.jpeg
22CAE38D-F318-47D6-9689-B6E2F00147C2.jpeg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
3EF1C49D-27EC-4CF3-85DC-017E2174DF63.jpeg
3EF1C49D-27EC-4CF3-85DC-017E2174DF63.jpeg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
9464B141-FB66-4234-804B-8E067B4ED0BA.jpeg
9464B141-FB66-4234-804B-8E067B4ED0BA.jpeg (27.08 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
C12B0382-1D1E-47C4-8DE0-4CAEB9AA5FA3.jpeg
C12B0382-1D1E-47C4-8DE0-4CAEB9AA5FA3.jpeg (29.32 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
1699F097-425A-4220-B99F-C7FFCF0173CC.jpeg
1699F097-425A-4220-B99F-C7FFCF0173CC.jpeg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

Cris4942

Post by Cris4942 »

Also, the wiring is a little messy but I’m planning to eventually make it nice. One last think i forgot to mention is that if I go through the steps I made for myself, I’m planning to convert to an alternator since it’s only around a 100 bucks to do so.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Good to hear from you, Cristian! Sounds like you've been busy with the car and with school.
Cris4942 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:46 pm
I am considering either undertaking an engine build and transmission swap, a rear end conversion, or fixing up the frame that rusted in the back. Eventually I’m going to get to all of these but who knows. I’m leaning more towards the last one since the spring leafs are quite old and the rubbers are shot. So i might as well replace it for better safety.
I agree that you're first priority should be the frame/spring repairs. Make it safe, then make it better.
Cris4942 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:46 pm
I should’ve upgraded to the v8 suspension of a falcon rather than staying with the i6 since I’m eventually planning to swap the motor to a 289 or a 302 build of my own.
I'm not that familiar with the 62 suspensions, but you'd probably do better to upgrade with 65 Mustang parts. They're readily available, and I think they should fit your car except for the centerlink, which would need to be 65 Comet. Maybe some guys more familiar with the earlier Comets will join in here and correct me if I'm wrong.
Cris4942 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:48 pm
I’m planning to convert to an alternator since it’s only around a 100 bucks to do so.
If the generator is keeping your battery charged, you might just want to stick with it until you're ready for your engine swap. The engine you build may come with a good alternator.
Cris4942 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:48 pm
Lastly I’d like to say that I’m planning to get my ASE certification in college.
That's a great goal, and from what I've read in your posts, I think you've got what it takes to achieve it. :wink:

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I was wondering what happened to you. Glad your sticking with your project. It's always a learning process even for us old farts so just enjoy the ride and have fun with it.
tom
tomb's 65

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Hi Cristian. Nice to see that you are back on the Comet and it sounds like you have some big plans. That being said, the one that I have been putting back together has the 302/C4/new rear/1 wire alternator and I would be happy to help with any questions. I tried to document it on the build thread (darryl27529) so someone coming after me could find the information needed. Getting close to road worthy so I just put insurance on it.

Take advantage of the free college tuition. That is an awesome deal! Happy Holidays. Darryl
ImageImage