VIN Number Issue on Title

The Round Body, Finned Comets
leslieerickson

VIN Number Issue on Title

Post by leslieerickson »

I have a 63 comet S-22 convertible. I'm trying to sell it as my husband passed away last year. There's an issue with the title. When my husband registered it with the State of Minnesota in 1993 there was an incorrect number put on as the VIN for the title. I have no idea where that number came from, I can't find it on any of the sales documents. The real VIN or Warranty number is on the door and stamped inside the engine compartment. They match each other. However that number is registered to a 1973 Mercury not a 1963. It's so screwed up I have tried to fix this about three times now. I received a title last week, transferring it to my name. I was surprised because I had been told it would need an inspection to get the VIN number fixed. Upon further inspection of the new title I see it still has that first number on it.

My question is how important is it to keep trying to fix it? What I was advised to do by one classic car consignor dealer was to put an engraved plate with the mysterious number in the engine compartment so that number is on the vehicle. Which I did. I tried a second consignor dealer this summer to sell it for me and he said he couldn't sell it with the title VIN that way which led me to try to fix it. Hence the new title I just received which only transferred it into my name from my husband's name. Has anyone dealt with a situation like this? Any advice amidst a pandemic? Any one want to buy the car? I'm so frustrated. Thanks for any input. Leslie

Jims65cyclone

Re: VIN Number Issue on Title

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Leslie.....my condolences on your husband's passing, and I'm sorry to hear about the mess you have with his Comet's registration.
leslieerickson wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:46 pm
The real VIN or Warranty number is on the door and stamped inside the engine compartment. They match each other. However that number is registered to a 1973 Mercury not a 1963.
I'm a bit confused about the VIN and Warranty numbers "matching". Mine is a 65, and they are completely different numbers. I looked up info on a 63 and only found a decoder for the "Patent Plate", and there was no mention of a VIN, so maybe that's a difference between 63 and 65. We have several members on here with 63's, so maybe one of them will chime in. Are you saying that you've been told (by whom?) that the numbers stamped in your 63 are registered to a 73 Mercury, or that the incorrect numbers on your paperwork are registered to a 73? If you could share the numbers stamped in your car, we should be able to verify whether they match the protocol for a 63 format. We could also check the number on your paperwork to see if it accurately matches the 73 format. Seems to me that should be the starting point to unraveling this mess.

Jim

leslieerickson

Post by leslieerickson »

I guess I'm saying the wrong terminology. It's the vehicle warranty number. They are on the car door and the engine. That is what is registered to a 73. I don't know if I post it here if there's anything underhanded that anyone can do with the information? I'm willing to, but apprehensive.
I was into my local DVS today. I think I'm finally making headway. They asked me to give them until Tuesday.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

There should be no number on the engine that figures in to the registration of the car. There's a good chance that the engine in a 67 year old car isn't the original engine, anyway. The warranty plate number on the door is not supposed to be used for registration purposes. That, too, could have been changed over the years with a replacement door to repair body damage. The VIN for a 63 Comet is supposed to be "stamped into the top of the left brace from the top of the firewall to the left wheel base". That should be the brace that angles from the center of the firewall to the top of the side of the engine compartment.
https://www.tpocr.com/lincolnvin3.html
(This is a safe link to click on. You can trust us.) :)

Jim
Last edited by Jims65cyclone on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The vin number will start with a 3 ,for 63,then a letter for where it was built,possibly H for lorain,oh., then it will have a 2 digit code for the body type,which for you would be 15 for a s-22 convert, then the engine code would be one digit or letter. so according to the chart it should start out with 3?15? ??????, The last 6 numbers are the sequential numbers of the assembly line.

So which ever number starts with a 3 & has 15 for the 3rd & 4th digit ,,,with 11 digits total WILL be the vin number.
Johno

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

Lots of vehicle number information here as well:

https://www.oldride.com/library/1963_mercury_comet.html

this is how I verified my 63 actually was what the seller claimed.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

351 Pinto wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:28 pm
Lots of vehicle number information here as well:

https://www.oldride.com/library/1963_mercury_comet.html

this is how I verified my 63 actually was what the seller claimed.
That chart has a s22 vert as a different code than the other chart Jim put up (code15) & this one has 15 too;
https://www.mercurystuff.com/1963-comet ... ation.html
so I'm curious what the author of this thread's 3rd & 4th digit is in his vin.
Johno

leslieerickson

Post by leslieerickson »

Thank you everyone for all your help. I've personally spoken with a couple of you and you've been not only helpful but reassuring! I was scared to post the number here as I didn't know what kind of personal information anyone could get from it. Since my husband passed away last year I have been very guarded. But then I realized the vehicle warranty number on my car isn't actually registered to me so why not give it? Like I said I already have much of this information, although the website given today lists 18 as an s-22 convertible. That wasn't on anything I had previously seen so a huge thank you for that.
The number is 3H18Fxxxxxx
Having all this information is great, but ultimately I need the state of Minnesota to inspect the vehicle and verify the matching numbers on both engine interior and door tag. I am working with someone locally at a dvs office who is in touch with the people at the state level. Fingers crossed and prayers lifted it will get fixed and I can sell the car soon! Thanks again everyone, Leslie
Last edited by leslieerickson on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep that is the vin number for sure. & if you are worried about someone seeing the number you could edit your post & x out the last 6 numbers of it because those are not needed to decode the car & it is the part that ties it to your car. in other words no way to trace it with those last numbers x-ed out.
Johno

leslieerickson

Post by leslieerickson »

Good idea. Thanks

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

[/quote]
That chart has a s22 vert as a different code than the other chart Jim put up (code15) & this one has 15 too;
https://www.mercurystuff.com/1963-comet ... ation.html
so I'm curious what the author of this thread's 3rd & 4th digit is in his vin.
[/quote]

GIven that they are 18, the Old Ride chart seems to be correct.

Old Ride chart:

15 = Comet Custom 2 Dr Convertible
18 = Comet Special S-22 2 Dr Convertible