Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Joe Travers

Re: Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:05 am
I missed your post about my temps Joe, but yes my temps get right on up there. That’s all electric fan you see on the radiator, no shroud. I agree it needs a full shroud, which would probably make a big difference. I put the fan on a toggle switch and just watch the temp gauge, flip it on when it gets around 180, seems to keep it 200 and below. I’ve not had it out in traffic, mostly cruise the neighborhood, and now just the yard until I get it primed and put somewhat back together.
After I got the shroud positioned correctly, I took a shard of copy paper, held it up to the A/C condenser w/ the engine idling. The fan almost sucked it out of my hand & stuck to the condenser firmly. This is with a 1" gap between condenser & radiator.

200F is really not bad driving slowly in this heat if you aren't running A/C.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:59 pm
It's been better this week, but last week the heat index here ran from 109 to 113! I did some work outside on the 109 day and could not have been wetter if I had jumped in a swimming pool. :shock: Sweat was dripping from my T-shirt sleeves. Finally gave up and went in and took a shower. Nothing evaporates at 80% humidity. :roll:
Looks like we may be on alternating cycle, Jim. Haven't checked the system map in quite a while. If high pressure systems are moving East from here to you & Lee, maybe I can forecast a week in advance for ya'll. :lol:

We are supposed to get some cloud cover, rain and cooler temps in next few days. Hope ya'll don't get the wave we've been in for the last week. Yep, heat index up past 110F in the afternoon.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I guess you might be upset if I say that today is partly cloudy, 75 degrees, medium humidity, and a nice breeze off Lake Michigan! This is the type of day I think about when it is cold and blowing snow outside.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:49 pm
I guess you might be upset if I say that today is partly cloudy, 75 degrees, medium humidity, and a nice breeze off Lake Michigan! This is the type of day I think about when it is cold and blowing snow outside.
I only get upset when I see my electric bill this time of year. A/C runs continuously from Noon until Sunset. Cycles all night long. Very high humidity is a problem here.

Was reading the FoMoCo manual. Two thermostats were installed from the factory. 'Hot' was 180, 'Cold' was 160. I don't know criteria for each, but I'm thinking A/C cars probably came w/ the 'Cold' one. The engine crept up to 200F in standing traffic this morning after a hearty jaunt w/ the compressor engaged. Ambient temp was only 87F, HI was 99F. I'm going to swap out to a 160 later this week.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Travers on Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:02 pm
A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:49 pm
I only get upset when I see my electric bill this time of year. A/C runs continuously from Noon until Sunset. Cycles all night long.

Was reading the FoMoCo manual. Two thermostats were installed from the factory. 'Hot' was 180, 'Cold' was 160. I don't know criteria for each, but I'm thinking A/C cars probably came w/ the 'Cold' one. The engine crept up to 200F in standing traffic this morning after a hearty jaunt w/ the compressor engaged. Ambient temp was only 87F, HI was 99F. I'm going to swap out to a 160 later this week. Very high humidity is a problem here.

Joe
In the real world where cooling systems are designed by computers or engineers an engine should run at the temperature that the thermostat is rated for. On modified vehicles this almost never happens, but the temperature should hover somewhere close to the thermostat rating. I have found that this brand/ type of thermostat works the best on modified engines: https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/produc ... thermostat
I had a 160 in my Comet when I first finished the build, I ended changing it to a 180. It now runs about 175, a little higher in traffic. I have a high volume water pump, all formed hoses, and a heater core, I do not have air conditioning which I know makes cooling the car somewhat easier.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:13 pm
In the real world where cooling systems are designed by computers or engineers an engine should run at the temperature that the thermostat is rated for. On modified vehicles this almost never happens, but the temperature should hover somewhere close to the thermostat rating. I have found that this brand/ type of thermostat works the best on modified engines: https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/produc ... thermostat
I had a 160 in my Comet when I first finished the build, I ended changing it to a 180. It now runs about 175, a little higher in traffic. I have a high volume water pump, all formed hoses, and a heater core, I do not have air conditioning which I know makes cooling the car somewhat easier.
Yes, the headers and aluminum pieces radiate a lot of heat under the hood, for sure.
Engines idles @ thermostat temp until I start romping on it. Really senseless, considering air quality is very poor for performance anyway.

I loved going down to Capital Dragway in Baton Rouge when it was NHRA sanctioned. Very low altitude w/ high barometric pressure and mild temps in the Spring. Didn't take long for the cars to get too fast for the track. Goodbye, Cajun Nationals.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Yes, the headers and aluminum pieces radiate a lot of heat under the hood, for sure.
Engines idles @ thermostat temp until I start romping on it. Really senseless, considering air quality is very poor for performance anyway.

[/quote]

I painted my aluminum head black to match the block, maybe that helps keeping the heat from radiating into the engine compartment. Not sure.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:37 pm
I painted my aluminum head black to match the block, maybe that helps keeping the heat from radiating into the engine compartment. Not sure.
I get irked every time I look @ my engine. Don't know why it was painted red. To be cute, perhaps? :roll:
I painted the water pump & thermostat housing black. If I ever have to pull the engine, the whole thing is getting black paint.
I read something about Ford's idea behind the black paint & engine heat but I don't know if it's true.
I do know A/C units work their butts off in high humidity!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:59 pm
A/FX wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:37 pm
I get irked every time I look @ my engine. Don't know why it was painted red. To be cute, perhaps? :roll:
I painted the water pump & thermostat housing black. If I ever have to pull the engine, the whole thing is getting black paint.
I read something about Ford's idea behind the black paint & engine heat but I don't know if it's true.
I do know A/C units work their butts off in high humidity!

Joe
I’m not sure when FoMoCo stopped painting the engines black and started to use “Ford” Blue. The 289 (RIP) that was originally in my Comet was black. I wanted the engine to blend into the engine compartment instead of standing out so it’s black, when I first installed the Boss back in the ‘70’s it was blue.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

in 66 ford started painting all their engines blue.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Engine colour not really an issue for me,,, I think 3" of one valve cover is visible,, lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Wow!! What's visible sure looks nice!
Fred, what motor is that?

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

If you get a chance read Fred’s thread on the swap, quite interesting. I was thinking the same thing, awesome looking engine. Don’t want to hijack Joe’s thread though 😁 although I’m sure Joe is ok with it…
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:04 am
Too cramped up, Fred. Makes my back hurt thinking about it :mrgreen:
I was mulling over a Weber induction setup until I contacted Richard Holdener.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Don’t want to hijack Joe’s thread though 😁 although I’m sure Joe is ok with it…
Dude, post what you want, as long as it's FoMoCo :D

No Chebbys allowed :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop