Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
comethead

Re: Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

Post by comethead »

Hey Joe the repop ACP heater blower motor is unvented. Didn’t last long. I’m looking around to see what options I have for a replacement.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:37 pm
Hey Joe the repop ACP heater blower motor is unvented. Didn’t last long. I’m looking around to see what options I have for a replacement.
The blower motor I received from Falcon Parts was ACP. They claimed it's new and not remanufactured. We'll see how long that last :?

Appreciate you guys' comments on the double Mustang seal. We had this discussion a good while back, if I can remember. My only concern was that the holes seem a tiny bit off-centered but I don't have room to measure, obviously w/o pulling the box. From what I've read in the manual, the boot stays attached to the cowl and released from the box w/ the ring clamp for disassembly.

It's all good. Just have to evacuate the A/C tomorrow if the weather permits to drop the evaporator.
Have a great weekend everybody!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Pulled the entire A/C system out of the car over last three days. Relocated overflow reservoir & got a new belt on the power steering pump.
Should knock out the heater box job in a few days when I'm not working on other stuff. See a few things that need tidying up while I'm under the dash.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

FINALLY figured out the stock heater box cowl seal.

The original steel hoop & clips are still attached to the cowl hat! :oops:
Man, I'm getting stupid or something. May need to lay off the pinot noir.........nope :P

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Tip for the day-

Gallon anti-freeze jug fits PERFECTLY under heater box to stab it in if you are working alone.

Found some crazy stuff. Wrong motor to bracket seal was installed previously, locking up the squirrel cage to the inside of the plenum. Very thin, looks like Mustang perhaps (?) Added spacer nuts between the plenum and bracket to test clearance and new motor & cage purred like a kitten. Would have tried the old motor but PO had cross-threaded one of the mounting nuts and I had to wreck the post to remove it from the bracket. Old cage has a tiny bit of wobble. Shaft on motor isn't exactly same diameter as original. If I have anymore problems, I'm going to buy the whole shebang for a Mustang. Maybe it's all built to fit together perfectly. :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Joe, I wish I’d have known you needed a heater box, and possibly gonna try a Mustang box. I had several complete boxes that were sold with all my 66 Mustang stuff. In any case, stay at it, you seem to have a lot more motivation then me right now to work on our cars.
Thankfully it’s getting cooler, I might get back in my shop to get some work done on the Comet.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:56 pm
Joe, I wish I’d have known you needed a heater box, and possibly gonna try a Mustang box. I had several complete boxes that were sold with all my 66 Mustang stuff. In any case, stay at it, you seem to have a lot more motivation then me right now to work on our cars.
Thankfully it’s getting cooler, I might get back in my shop to get some work done on the Comet.
Lee, I believe my box may be early Mustang but not positive. There is a small mounting bracket above the vent door that doesn't seem to appear on the Comet boxes I've seen online. Had to install the vent seal in opposite order to get bottom seal clamp on box. Installed clips on top reaching into the vent door last. I found the Mustang motor, cage and mounting bracket sold as a unit on CJ & will purchase that if I run into problems this Winter. Working great for now.

Yeah, cooler temps making it a joy to work & drive right now. Had to shift to work on the house this month (like a few others here). Next car project next month, hopefully.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

bluestang67

Post by bluestang67 »

Great thread with a lot of info . Vent box does look familiar to me to . I have a 67 Mustang but i dont remember if that style was in the gen 1 , ill have to look .
Starting from ground zero

bluestang67

Post by bluestang67 »

Oh im also interested in the cal trak system , i have slappers that still allowed hop .

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

bluestang67 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:14 pm
Oh im also interested in the cal trak system , i have slappers that still allowed hop .
I had caltracs on old soft & sunken factory leafs & it rode pretty good. now I have their split mono leafs added to them. man I can tell it hooks up much better! but it rides rougher, lot more stiff . didnt get much riding in to make a final decision before I tore it down for other work but I saved my old springs & can go back with them if I wanted. With the old soft leafs with KYB gas ajust shocks [which some say are too harsh] I had a kind of a happy medium. maybe I need to sand bag it some winter like guys do with new regular leafsprings that sit too high. But for track use I think they would great. but no hop with the bars & either set of leafs.
Johno

bluestang67

Post by bluestang67 »

Johno , i can see they would prevent rear end wrap , mine to has the original leafs , I definitely like the design .

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

bluestang67 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:14 pm
I would use Cal-Trac if they were available for the 2" spring. Slappers will work for acceleration if they're set up tight but not for braking when the spring wraps in the opposite direction. Tight, being the bumper is set close up under the leaf front eye. May require a wedge under the back mounting bracket to get the clearance tightened up.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

bluestang67

Post by bluestang67 »

They are about 2 inches from contact so it allows a lot of wrap , I've been thinking of some type of larger bumper to help . Something like a window stop modified to work so there is only about a half inch clearance .

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

You could make something like these- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-20510
I had a few sets but I gave them to an old friend.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

bluestang67

Post by bluestang67 »

Yeah use similar at work before for some apps , found big heavy suspension stops for 18 bucks and bolt on . Since im waiting on the front power source , may have a set of those cal tracs on .