Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Caveman49

Re: Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

Post by Caveman49 »

Tornado, 😬 never used one, weren’t they supposed to add hp and fuel mileage? I’ve a couple left over plastic shrouds ( 2 piece) from some El Caminos I stripped out, was thinking of fooling around with them a little.

But I like that aluminum one John made, looks like it’ll definitely do the job. I was watching one of the car shows on tv the other day and they made a shroud with heavy black plastic and a heat gun forming it, came out pretty darn good.
Attachments
A pic of my setup.
A pic of my setup.
A6332824-99CB-401F-8087-B5E604319A7F.jpeg (110.34 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:48 am
But I like that aluminum one John made, looks like it’ll definitely do the job. I was watching one of the car shows on tv the other day and they made a shroud with heavy black plastic and a heat gun forming it, came out pretty darn good.
I like it too! Rhino makes a large shroud similar to John's that will really pull some air but it's a bit pricey for me. The show shroud sounds very similar to that one. My son threw me a good tip on this when he ran into heat issues on his old Bronco after installing A/C.

He used stock shroud but closed off all air gaps w/ thermal insulation between condenser and rad, rad & shroud. He said it pushes air like a gale storm & dropped engine temps significantly. That sounds like a cheaper alternative for my budget & skills. I'm not much of a fabricator but I've always loved working on engines.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I wouldn't get worried about access holes for the clutch. I have holes on both sides more for air glow than any access.
These pics were taken with no clean up prior very little dirt of dust goes in from the wheels.
The drivers side was cut in about '75 and I added the passengers side hole in '13 anticipating some heat generation towing the camper to California.
The passengers side is purely to allow air out of the engine bay as things are fairly tight in there.
I remember Roy saying something about 10ibs a potatoes in a 5lb sack,,, lol
ImageImage
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:17 pm
I wouldn't get worried about access holes for the clutch. I have holes on both sides more for air glow than any access.
These pics were taken with no clean up prior very little dirt of dust goes in from the wheels.
The drivers side was cut in about '75 and I added the passengers side hole in '13 anticipating some heat generation towing the camper to California.
The passengers side is purely to allow air out of the engine bay as things are fairly tight in there.
I remember Roy saying something about 10ibs a potatoes in a 5lb sack,,, lol
I use the old Super Stock trick, before the teardrop hood was installed.

No cowl seal, jack the hinges up a little. Doesn't help inside ventilation, why I need to get this A/C compressor going.
Ten lbs. potatoes in a 5 lb. sack, yep. Something gotta give.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

That’s funny Joe, I did the same thing back in the 60s n 70s 😁. Would get a longer bolt for the rear hood hinges and stack washers…
I might try it on the 66 Comet, never know.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:11 pm
That’s funny Joe, I did the same thing back in the 60s n 70s 😁. Would get a longer bolt for the rear hood hinges and stack washers…
I might try it on the 66 Comet, never know.
Probably won't need it after new radiator install. Still waiting for it to ship. :?
Old 4 row was crustier than I thought. Had that nice blue-green sheen on the engine side I hadn't noticed :roll:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Did a close inspection of the rad today and I think I'm going to keep the 4 row and flush it. It has a tiny bit of junk in top tank but pretty clean overall and doesn't leak. Swapped out the old crusty petcock valve for a new one today, straightened out a few fins. Pressure wash and paint tomorrow.

I'll order shroud and 4 row brackets after I get my order cancellation finalized tomorrow. Probably have to pick up a longer fan spacer to get it set up correctly. In the meantime, I'm going to re-install the radiator and flush it while waiting on parts. Should have it finished up by next week.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Got everything buttoned up yesterday and fired her off. No leaks, idles @ 185 steady @ 90F ambient temp, 195 w/ A/C on.
Will give it the stress test when temps hit 95F in traffic. May change to 160 thermostat if it runs higher.
Running 16" fan, have room for 17". Ordered Flex-A-Lite fan this morning.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Looking good, running good, temps are running good. I got a ton of honey-do’s to take care of before I get back at our 66. Too hot to be messing around for long outside or in the shop.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:02 pm
Looking good, running good, temps are running good. I got a ton of honey-do’s to take care of before I get back at our 66. Too hot to be messing around for long outside or in the shop.
Mid-80s and rain last week here, not too bad. Back to mid-90s today :(

Are you having cooling problems, Lee? One thing I see, the shroud on your electric fan is drawing air only through the center of the rad. The fan isn't pulling through the other 40%. A full shroud should help a bit.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

PSA for anyone doing cooling system work this Summer. Stay away from these-

Don't know source but suspect this is the pulley sold under Summit Racing name, looking @ the reviews on their website. The holes for the pump shaft & fan bolts are all oversized, allowing off-center installation that results in a good bit of pulley & fan wobble. I have a feeling the vibration accelerated pump bearing wear. Good thing for me, the pump needed replacing anyway due to negligence from years of storage.

Ordered a new pulley from good seller on EBay and got a great tight fit on the new one. Everything is buttoned back up but the hoses. Installing those and filling her back up w/ 50/50 when these cursed temps drop below 100F :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I had chrome pulleys on my Comet back in the ‘70’s but had belt slippage issues because the chrome was slippery. Now everything is Powdercoat. Those cheap off shore parts are always junk, I have seen valve covers without baffles, so the engine just blows out oil constantly.
I prefer factory stuff.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:21 pm
I had chrome pulleys on my Comet back in the ‘70’s but had belt slippage issues because the chrome was slippery. Now everything is Powdercoat. Those cheap off shore parts are always junk, I have seen valve covers without baffles, so the engine just blows out oil constantly.
I prefer factory stuff.
New one is powder-coated & fit is factory tight. I was tempted to contact an old local Ford guy who has a few laying around but his health is failing. Didn't want to disturb him. Used original in good condition is my preference of choice.

Finally got it fired up and fan was rubbing a tad on bottom driver side of shroud. Got it adjusted, good to go for a stress test tomorrow. I need to pick up a can of refrigerant to give her a little charge, I suspect. Engine idle temp holding @ 185F w/ great airflow. Ambient temp is 98F/heat index 106F but I finished in the shade w/ a slight breeze. Hot!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:22 pm
Ambient temp is 98F/heat index 106F but I finished in the shade w/ a slight breeze. Hot!
It's been better this week, but last week the heat index here ran from 109 to 113! I did some work outside on the 109 day and could not have been wetter if I had jumped in a swimming pool. :shock: Sweat was dripping from my T-shirt sleeves. Finally gave up and went in and took a shower. Nothing evaporates at 80% humidity. :roll:

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Temps here have come down slightly, getting the rain we needed.

I missed your post about my temps Joe, but yes my temps get right on up there. That’s all electric fan you see on the radiator, no shroud. I agree it needs a full shroud, which would probably make a big difference. I put the fan on a toggle switch and just watch the temp gauge, flip it on when it gets around 180, seems to keep it 200 and below. I’ve not had it out in traffic, mostly cruise the neighborhood, and now just the yard until I get it primed and put somewhat back together.
Motor Safe,
Lee