Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
comethead

Re: Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:53 am
Passed inspection w/ flying colors Wednesday. Horn is a bit stubborn because contact in turn signal switch is sticking occasionally.
Junk aftermarket stuff :? Need to take the wheel back off and try to resolve that problem. Dielectric grease was probably a bad solution.

Had a very slight vibration in the wheel during the spring, decided to check front wheel balance. After scoping the tires, decided to pop for new rubber. First time front wheels have been off, discovered the grease caps were missing from the hubs! :x Ordered a pair of original flat top caps to see if there is a clearance problem w/ those cutesy Mercury Man center caps. They are fastened to the wheels w/ a flat plate, not the snap ring like the originals. Tried to get info from a guy that installed them on his Cougar but no coherent reply. Contacted SSBC on the disc brakes and they've been very helpful. Good company!

Hopefully will have time to pull the rotors this week, clean everything and repack the wheel bearings. Finishing a deal on a spare Mag 500 to mount in the trunk today. Looking for a bumper jack if anyone has a spare they are willing to part with.

Weather is getting pristine for cruising down here now.

Joe
Hey Joe I have a small Harbor Freight bottle jack with a piece of 2x4 in the trunk of my Comet. I tried using the bumper jack once and I think it tweaked my bumper! :(

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:09 am

Hey Joe I have a small Harbor Freight bottle jack with a piece of 2x4 in the trunk of my Comet. I tried using the bumper jack once and I think it tweaked my bumper! :(

Joe
floor jack & chunk of 4x4
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Nice Johnnie! I need to copy your setup 8)

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:09 am
That was my initial plan, then I thought about a bumper jack. Then I thought, to heck with it all. Hagerty premium pays for roadside assistance.
I provide the goods, someone else can grunt! :lol:

Wheel getting here Friday.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:26 am
Didn't know those plaid tire covers stretched that far, John.
Do you remember which vendor sold that to you? My tread width is 8".

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No Joe I dont, it was in the car when I bought it. but it's probably less than 8'' tread. on 14 x probably 7'' inch 68& later mustang/torino style rims, cant remember the tire size .but they are really square edge tires,not much of a side wall budge,tread nearly wide as sidewall budge,makes tires look wider.
they came on the car with good tread but starting to dry rot.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:10 pm
No Joe I dont, it was in the car when I bought it. but it's probably less than 8'' tread. on 14 x probably 7'' inch 68& later mustang/torino style rims, cant remember the tire size .but they are really square edge tires,not much of a side wall budge,tread nearly wide as sidewall budge,makes tires look wider.
they came on the car with good tread but starting to dry rot.
Thanks for info! '69 Boss Mustangs came w/ F60 - 15, 8.8" tread on 7" Mag 500.
I'll hunt and see if I can find one to fit that. It would tidy up the trunk a bit.
EDIT: so much for that idea. Forgot they came w/ space-saver tires :(
Found something that'll work 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey John, will that 14" spare fit your front discs? That could be an ugly surprise if not. :evil:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:59 pm
Hey John, will that 14" spare fit your front discs? That could be an ugly surprise if not. :evil:

Jim
Yes it will Jim! I checked it. I think I had the old wheels/tires mounted & on to roll it around before I put the TTO's on front. CSRP states in his ad that they will clear most 14'' factory steel rims. After all they are reproduction mustang Kelsey Hayes brakes.

& Joe I think that trunk pic is deceiving. this cover is less than 6.5'' from corded seam to edge. but it was laying on the quilt black & couldn't see the tire hanging out the bottom. also it has a cut out so could have been pulled down farther in the rear- the part you saw. these pics should tell the story better than I can.

I dont think it would stretch over this tire if not for this cut-away. for a 14'' rim it is a tall tire.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:00 pm
this cover is less than 6.5'' from corded seam to edge. but it was laying on the quilt black & couldn't see the tire hanging out the bottom. also it has a cut out so could have been pulled down farther in the rear- the part you saw. these pics should tell the story better than I can.

I dont think it would stretch over this tire if not for this cut-away. for a 14'' rim it is a tall tire.
Found 15" plaid cover that fits 27"d tire. My 205/60s are only 24.7" (same diameter as the original 13" tire).
That extra 1+" on either side might stretch.

Thanks for the pics :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:12 pm
Found 15" plaid cover that fits 27"d tire. My 205/60s are only 24.7" (same diameter as the original 13" tire).
That extra 1+" on either side might stretch.
Joe
You should be good with that one Joe, according to this calculator these 14's are just under 26 tall ,over an inch taller than your tires. should fit & the cut out keeps it from getting too tight
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -215-70r14
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:59 pm
Jim
Hey Jim just an FYI, the only 14” Ford wheels that don’t fit factory disc brakes are early 65 and under. Everything after that including standard steel wheels and stock optional wheels clear the KH disc brake calipers.
I found out the hard way that my original 65 steel wheels didn't fit after I installed disc brakes. I found a couple late 60s steel wheels that looked almost the same as the early ones but they cleared the calipers. The change is small and subtle but they cleared perfectly.
I ended up going with the American TTO’s. (Which mimic the original non disc brake American Racing wheels with the straight spokes. When the Vettes starting getting disc brakes in 63(?) is when the spokes got curved for clearance and the TT “D(isc)” was born).

Joe

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's good to know. My car had a set of late 60's 14" Mustang GT wheels on it when I bought it. I carry one in the trunk as my spare, but I haven't converted to disc brakes yet. Nice to know it should still fit when I do make the conversion.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:39 am

I ended up going with the American TTO’s. (Which mimic the original non disc brake American Racing wheels with the straight spokes. When the Vettes starting getting disc brakes in 63(?) is when the spokes got curved for clearance and the TT “D(isc)” was born).

Joe
Thanks for that tidbit Joe! I never knew what the D stood for or how it came to be,,,& if I did I forgot it! :lol: But I did know the TTO meant Torque Thrust Originals .glad they made the TT0's to fit disc now days cause I got O's on front & D's on back. They didn't make TTO's in 10'' wide so I went with the TTD's on the rear,but I liked the way your TTO's looked on the front so I went with TTO's on front. but the D's are dished in so far I dont even notice it. No one has ever mentioned it. & it's hard to get anything past all the guys at Pigeon Forge, Groover & another one even noticed my bumper bolts were different. :shock: :D
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

On the subject of wheels, here's one for ya.
The cutesy Mercury Man Mag 500 center caps don't fit '65 hub well. They are listed to fit '67-'68 Cougar.
I can only presume the later hub is slightly shorter. The center cap retainers have a bulge in them that interfere w/ the grease cap on '65 KH front hub. Don't waste your $$ on this one.

These would fit much better for Mag 500 w/ flat cork fit to grease cap, clip-on retainer-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192591174698?m ... 37570b20e7

Beats me why the aftermarket can't make the Mercury retainers the same :?
Theft-proof retainers are great but not if they don't fit well!

Joe
Last edited by Joe Travers on Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop