poboyjo65

Re: Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:04 am
I think 3" of one valve cover is visible,, lol

You'll have to point it out to us Fred!! :D :lol:

All I see is what looks like a snake orgy ! :lol:
(I'm taking up where Roy left off on the motor wisecracks)
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:00 pm
All I see is what looks like a snake orgy ! :lol:
(I'm taking up where Roy left off on the motor wisecracks)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My oldest son installed that supercharger setup on his 1st Fox-body V-6 Mustang just after he graduated from college when he was 23. Sold it, moved on to a couple 5.0L H.O. Mustangs, to Shelby GT Coyote. Now he's driving 390GT.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Travers on Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe I'd drive that thing daily (on nice days) I'd love to have it. but Roy Pool use to rag him bout it all the time,gotta keep it going ! :mrgreen:
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:36 pm
Joe I'd drive that thing daily (on nice days) I'd love to have it. but Roy Pool use to rag him bout it all the time,gotta keep it going ! :mrgreen:
Heck yeah! My wife drove Bryan's Mustang from Florida back home and wanted one for herself :wink:
I'm big on tradition. In the spirit of Roy Pool, I say go for it :lol:

The Army green Cleveland iteration is my favorite of them all, but that's just me. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hottest day of the year today, thus far. Ambient temp 100F.

Got my wife home after lunch, fired off the engine to check temps. Decided to increase idle rpm from 800>900 to take some lope out of the engine. Better results w/ temp holding steady @ 180F. More airflow, faster circulation, timing advance, who's to say?

Have to replace leaky PS hose next. Do not like leaks!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Learn something new every day-

Been having a tiny PS hose leak since I picked up the car two years ago. It got slightly worse after the water pump change, so I decided to change it out. Took the old braided hose to a shop and had a new one made up. Went by NAPA and picked up a few things, including fluid.

The pump had been filled w/ ATF when I drained it but the new fluid was clear and lower viscosity. Filled the pump and purged the air from the system, turning from stop to stop a few times. Topped it off and capped it. When I took it for a drive, the slight vibration I had in the steering wheel was gone and steering was a lot firmer. Looked up the pump and it takes the fluid I installed.

A blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A blind squirrel,, lol yep.
Sometimes it just wants a little love,, take me apart and put me back together,,, fixed! wth?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:15 am
A blind squirrel,, lol yep.
Sometimes it just wants a little love,, take me apart and put me back together,,, fixed! wth?
Looks like it had Type F in it. The guy at NAPA handed me a bottle of Macs 9832. When I started pouring it, I said the same thing. Looked up the pump, aftermarket Saginaw TC Type II, takes the clear stuff.

Fixing to take her for a high speed romp after I finish coffee. Maybe that ‘float’ disappeared in the wheel.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The tinkering continues......

Multi-meter out today to test blower motor and heater switch. Happy to say, switch is okay but motor is fried. Kinda funky, motor appears to have been changed out in the not too distant past. No biggie, need to change out some hoses and vent collar anyways while I have the rad drained. Pulling the evaporator is going to be the biggest pain in the rear. Have to evacuate the system to get it out of the floorboard :? May pull the whole system and sell it.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

comethead

Post by comethead »

Recently had my blower motor die too. I had just replaced it a few years ago and hasn’t been used much. Its an ACP repop so I’ll have to do some research to find a better brand if possible.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:00 am
Recently had my blower motor die too. I had just replaced it a few years ago and hasn’t been used much. Its an ACP repop so I’ll have to do some research to find a better brand if possible.
Joe, ordered a new non-vented one from Falcon Parts. Should be here middle of next week. Hope it’s built as well as the original.
Don’t really need it for the heater as much as defroster, if windshield fogs up on a humid day.

The burnt one is vented, unlike the stock one. May have failed from poor airflow under the hood but I'm not certain of that. The top end of my engine is all aluminum (except the Holley).

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Any of you guys install the original accordion-style heater vent cowl seal on your car?

Have a Mustang seal on the box now but it's not tall enough, so I bought the stock one. The cowl hole and heater box hole are different diameter and they don't look like they center up perfectly, so I thought something pliable was in order.

I was wondering about the clips to hold the top seal ring tight to the cowl. Looks like they clip to the lower lip of the cowl opening? Reached up in the hat and felt four stubs 90 degrees apart on the inside of the lip.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:20 pm
Any of you guys install the original accordion-style heater vent cowl seal on your car?

Have a Mustang seal on the box now but it's not tall enough, so I bought the stock one. The cowl hole and heater box hole are different diameter and they don't look like they center up perfectly, so I thought something pliable was in order.

I was wondering about the clips to hold the top seal ring tight to the cowl. Looks like they clip to the lower lip of the cowl opening? Reached up in the hat and felt four stubs 90 degrees apart on the inside of the lip.

Joe
Joe,
This might or might not help you but this is howI did mine. I had a NOS ‘64 Comet rubber sleeve that I bought years ago, from being in storage for many years the rubber deteriorated and the part was useless. I looked into what a early Mustang used and found it to be a solid rubber “O ring” that fit over the top of the heater box and to a ring on the bottom of the cowl plenum. I figured I could duplicate that on my Comet and it would seal better than the stock Comet flexible sleeve. I rolled a sheet metal ring that was tall enough to make up the difference between the Comet part and the Mustang part and Tig welded it to the cowl plenum, this allowed the Mustang rubber Oring to be trapped between the heater box and the cowl plenum. You could probably duplicate my effort by using two Mustang seals glued together to gain the needed height. Maybe use some sealant where the rubber meets the cowl. I also bought a rebuild kit for the heater box, this allowed me to replace all the rubber and foam parts.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Found my answer after removing the Mustang seal.
Yeah, the clips interlock w/ two clips that are up in the cowl. Couldn't see those w/o removing the Mustang seal through the vent door.
Good day when you learn something new :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

2 of the mustang foam rings were perfect for my 65. super glue 2 together & they come out about a half inch too tall ,,,,perfect to get a good seal will no clips or sleeve or anything. being just a little too tall makes it keep a good seal. after you mount the heater reach up in thru the little door to feel & adjust so it conforms the best. makes for an easier heater install

here's my 2 different brand ones glued together. (The top one was elcheapo)

Johno