The Round Body, Finned Comets
Jims65cyclone

Re: Joe's '63 1/2 Tinkering Thread

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:32 am
comethead wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:28 am
Hey Joe could you make a spacer to raise the cap away from the grease cap? Something that’ll fit between the center cap and the wheel. Just a thought.
Not the way these are made, Joe. The sheet metal stamping that attaches to the caps is too tall.
If you reverse the retainer plate on the back side and use a spacer, would it not clear?
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:51 pm
I'm assuming that the metal retaining plate goes on the inside of the rim and clamps the Mercury cap in place. If so, could you turn the retainer plate around so the dish is toward the grease cap and use something (sheet rubber, plastic, ?) to cut a spacer disc the same diameter as the base of the Merc cap to fill the gap that I'm guessing would appear between the Merc cap and wheel? If you used some plexiglass, sprayed black, it might look like it was designed that way.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:18 am
If you reverse the retainer plate on the back side and use a spacer, would it not clear?
Why I posted the hack picture, Jim but may not be noticeable from the camera angle. The retainers screw into those black stamped steel inserts that are crimped to the cap. The insert is taller than the back of the cap. If it was shorter, you could flip the retainer and gain clearance. Problem is, the clips are pot metal and break if you try to remove the inserts. You may be able to pick that up in the picture. The guy tried to install the original style clips but they aren't long enough to hold the cap in place.

I was going to try and hack these but they are getting hard to find. Would rather move them to a Cougar owner than ruin them and install something that was meant to fit instead. The only cap I can find w/o a Mustang or Ford logo is the Mag 500 spinner. I'm a bit miffed @ the vendors advertising these to fit an early hub w/ Mag 500 but I could be missing something. It has '67 Cougar part # so I'm still betting they fit the Cougar styled-steel wheel which is not a Magnum 500. I don't have a Cougar wheel to verify this. Had a set of 14 X 6s many years ago.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:18 am
Hey, Jim. Looks like someone caught on to your idea. Check out the retainer picture- https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/m ... themeid=26

Exactly what they did to these; drop the insert and flip the retainer to fit. I'm on the mailing list for backorder. 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

comethead

Post by comethead »

I see. I kinda remember the styled steel wheel caps being kinda weird to attach as well.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:59 am
I see. I kinda remember the styled steel wheel caps being kinda weird to attach as well.

Joe
Never owned a set of early Mustang styled steel wheels. Cougar looks almost identical except there aren't cutouts in the spokes. Makes the Cougar wheel look closer to a Mag 500 w/ chrome spokes. Some of the Cougar wheels had argent spokes and rims. IIRC, mine were chrome spokes w/ argent rims.

Those Mustang wheels always seemed a little freaky to me w/ the cutout near the rim. Always looked like the blacked out recessed part of the wheel were spokes. Optical illusions from the '60s :roll: :lol:

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Picked up these original spinners to restore off Ebay. Unscrewed the retainer bolts and found one had a broken post! Not as described by seller. Off you go back to your original home, you mutt! :evil: This after I spent a couple hours polishing by hand. Picked up another pair of grease seals after returning those, Monday morning. Need to re-pack the wheel bearings tomorrow before the rain kicks in.

One of those weeks...... :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

These look good but need to find some snap rings to secure them from theft or loss.
Not really a spinner guy but they look great on wire wheels on a XKE.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Need to install front parking brake cable. Parking brake is last non-functioning item on the car. I'm assuming there may be an interference problem with the long-tube headers? Maybe not but looks tight (like most everything else).

Checked the firewall tonight, missing the clamp under the cable wheel. Will check for the mounting bracket on crossmember tomorrow. If anyone has pics for routing, I would surely appreciate it. Any tips as well! :wink:

Thanks a bunches! Looks like another long hunting trip, maybe not.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:50 pm
Need to install front parking brake cable. Parking brake is last non-functioning item on the car. I'm assuming there may be an interference problem with the long-tube headers? Maybe not but looks tight (like most everything else).

Checked the firewall tonight, missing the clamp under the cable wheel. Will check for the mounting bracket on crossmember tomorrow. If anyone has pics for routing, I would surely appreciate it. Any tips as well! :wink:

Thanks a bunches! Looks like another long hunting trip, maybe not.

Joe
Joe,
If you are missing any parts I may have something. All my stuff is in boxes so I will have to search. I installed a parking brake pedal instead of the pull handle system.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

pics of my 65,probably same as yours. goes in top of torque box,& runs thru the frame. you can reach thru the access door with 4 screws on the bottom of the torque box to fish it thru.
this is driverside toeboard ,sort of a cut away view :roll: as you can see it should have a long rubber sleeve that acts as a grommet thru the frame.

coming out thru the fr frame;
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:18 am
Joe,
If you are missing any parts I may have something. All my stuff is in boxes so I will have to search. I installed a parking brake pedal instead of the pull handle system.
Jim
Thank you, Jim. I'll get back to you after I take inventory of needed parts.
Rear cables all intact to the equalizer bar. I think it will just be mounting hardware on both ends.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:36 am
pics of my 65,probably same as yours. goes in top of torque box,& runs thru the frame. you can reach thru the access door with 4 screws on the bottom of the torque box to fish it thru.
this is driverside toeboard ,sort of a cut away view :roll: as you can see it should have a long rubber sleeve that acts as a grommet thru the frame.

coming out thru the fr frame;
Thanks for pics, John! Pretty sure I'll be vacuuming out the frame after I take off the panel. Yes, same as '65.
Think a piece of fuel line would work as a shield through the frame? Don't know O.D. of the cable yet.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Don't have any pics at the moment but pretty sure the cable in mine came out the back of the toe board brace(name torque box?). I as well have a foot pedal Ebrake now.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:05 am
Don't have any pics at the moment but pretty sure the cable in mine came out the back of the toe board brace(name torque box?). I as well have a foot pedal Ebrake now.
If I have any major hiccups, may get customized like you & Jim, Fred but I'm not a very good hacker :wink:
Are ya'll pulling the foot pedal assembly out of a 70-something Ford?

I'll have to look for all of the holes to pick up a handful of grommets.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:04 am
Pretty sure I'll be vacuuming out the frame after I take off the panel.
When I replaced the cable on mine I must have gotten a quart of Georgia red clay dust out of that panel access. Mine was originally purchased in Macon, GA, and apparently spent a lot of time on GA back roads.

Jim