Brakes for 63 V8 car

The Round Body, Finned Comets
351 Pinto

Brakes for 63 V8 car

Post by 351 Pinto »

I want to upgrade my front brakes. My 63 has what I suspect are Granada discs up front. If we assume the spindles are the original V8 spindles, will a kit for a 65 Mustang be a direct bolt-on?

I don't mind buying spindles, but if I do, I will go with the 2 inch drop.

Baer has kits with 10 inch or 11 inch rotors. I have 14 inch Torque Thrust wheels. Will the 11s fit with 14 inch wheels?

Thanks in advance.

poboyjo65

Re: Brakes for 63 V8 car

Post by poboyjo65 »

They are most likely granada spindles which No mustang brakes wont fit them. Do you have 4 or 5 lug spindles?
a pic is worth a thousand words if it is a good one.
If they are factory V8 spindles (5lug) then stang brakes will fit.
Granada spindles have a 3 bolt caliper mount with single piston calipers & stang has a 4 bolt mount 4 piston calipers .

Not sure about baer but CSRP has a swap one kit that says will fit most original 14'' v8 type wheels but you need 65 v8 spindles .(which plenty are around,I know of a set or 2 for sale right now)
& swap 2 kit that is like the granada brakes says it wont fit 14'' wheels. & they have those type spindles if needed
most of us that have swapped use these or chocostang brakes which are very similar & all are very happy with them ,no need for power brakes they work so good.
Johno

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I do have the 3 bolt Granada spindles. :( It's not the end of the world, but it will require a re-think. Bummer, because that CSRP kit was perfect, and I could run around claiming to have "Shelby brakes" :D

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

351 Pinto wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:46 pm
I do have the 3 bolt Granada spindles. :( It's not the end of the world, but it will require a re-think. Bummer, because that CSRP kit was perfect, and I could run around claiming to have "Shelby brakes" :D
Look at the other swaps that CSRP has they have a 3 bolt spindle package,they call it Granada base so they I think would probably sell you a kit without the spindles. but if you want kelsey hayse /shelby type you could get some used spindles. If you decide to get 65v8 4 hole spendles let me know I know of a couple sets,one around 150 & shipping I think, the other is 200 & shipping.
Johno

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

If I understand it correctly, this CSRP kit will upgrade the brakes to KH 4 piston and give me the improved steering geometry of the later Comets. I emailed them to verify that this is all I need.

SWAP.1.5/M/SLU.F/7365: 5 lug front manual disc brake and steering linkage upgrade (60-65 compatible, 65 model type, manual V8 pitman arm, cross link, idler arm and idler arm bracket, inner and outer tie rod arms, and tie rod arm adjuster sleeves) for 4 lug 63-65 Falcon/Comet, MANUAL STEERING, includes new heavy duty V8 type spindles.

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

Kit ordered. For anyone who may be contemplating a similar swap, this is the response I received:

The SWAP.1.5/M/SLU.F will convert your car to a manual KH/Ford brake system with all new 65 Falcon type manual steering linkage. It includes improved 63-65 V8 spindles. A 1.4" drop spindle version cost $100 more (SWAP.1.5/M/SLU.F/1.5D7365, one must make some minor modifications to the included dust/splash shields if they are to be used with the drop spindle).