Maverick rear

The Round Body, Finned Comets
kurtscomet

Maverick rear

Post by kurtscomet »

Question:
I just picked up a 8" rear from a 76 maverick ...its the perfect width for my 63 comet, but when I got it home and was doing some measuring I noticed a couple things.....one axle is an inch longer than the other side, and 2. The center housing is offset....is this gonna work in my comet or did I just waste a bunch of money?? Any help?

power band

Re: Maverick rear

Post by power band »

My '61 Comet has a '71 Maverick 4 lug 8" rear and fit with no modifications. The Maverick wheels have less offset -(stick a little further out) than the early 4 lugs. The Maverick rear will work but modern wider tires may require wheels with more offset or other solutions. I radiused the rear wheel wells with Falcon front fender openings/lips to accommodate.

hav efun

Image . Image . Image . Image

kurtscomet

Post by kurtscomet »

Mine is a 5 lug rear

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

kurtscomet wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:24 am
Question:
I just picked up a 8" rear from a 76 maverick ...its the perfect width for my 63 comet, but when I got it home and was doing some measuring I noticed a couple things.....one axle is an inch longer than the other side, and 2. The center housing is offset....is this gonna work in my comet or did I just waste a bunch of money?? Any help?
The differential housing has to be offset or the driveshaft would run at an angle. Yes one axle is shorter than the other. I have installed modified rear housings with the center of the housing in the center of the car and allowed for the offset driveshaft, normally this is done for esthetic reasons.
You need to measure two things:
Over all width of the 8” housing face of drum to face of drum.
Width between the mounting pad center holes.
Compare the measurements with your stock housing, if you want it bolt in these measurements must be very close between the two housings.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:18 am
You need to measure two things:
Over all width of the 8” housing face of drum to face of drum.
Width between the mounting pad center holes.
Compare the measurements with your stock housing, if you want it bolt in these measurements must be very close between the two housings.
^^^ X 2

IDK if the mounting pads need to be swapped. Comet is 2" width, Maverick 2.5"'
Maybe someone can comment on this one?

Last swap I did was 9" Fairlane GT into a Mustang. Overall width was perfect but had to relocate the pads.
Pad width not a problem there, both 2.5".

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

power band

Post by power band »

AFAIK Maverick 4 lug and 5 lug are same width ...

... the early 2" springs fit Maverick pads without mod':
Maverick 2-1/2" U-Bolts and the Maverick bottom plates can be used. Some wallow out the smaller early axle plates to fit. The Maverick's staggered shocks needed rear facing shock hanger (left) cut off and welded to front. ( also could use same era Mustang/Falcon/Comet with conventional opposite type plates I hear) ...

Maverick 8" flange to flange = @ 52-1/8"

Image .

have fun

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I used one of these rear axles for many years until I swapped to an 8.8. They work great.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"