Tachometer

The Round Body, Finned Comets
pfleuret

Tachometer

Post by pfleuret »

The last hot rod I had was 55 years ago. 1968 Camaro with 427 engine. I had a Sun Super Tach. I really want to get one for the Comet but of course they are not made any longer. They are available on ebay though. There are also maybe a 1000 modern tachs available. Any reason not to get an old Sun tach off ebay? Or any thoughts on what modern tach is accurate and reliable? Thanks for any suggestions.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Tachometer

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

My Cyclone had a sun tach in it when I bought it. This cheap tach sold from Summit sure looks simular to an old sun tach to me.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/equ-6078
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

I went ahead and got a NOS Sun tachometer for old times sake. But it wouldn’t fit. Upper steering column too close to the wheel. Lower part too close to the instrument panel. Middle is curved.

So made an adapter. Had to be sturdy no bobbling.

Photos show it.

A. Steering column clamp and positioner mount. Alum bar 3 1/2 x 3/4.
B. Positioner made by RAM. For motorcycles mainly.
C. Adapter plate 3/16 alum plate.
D. Tach Mount 3/4-16 threaded rod with 1/2” hole for wires.

Bigger job than I expected but working fine.

Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Have enough room to pull the defroster control all the way out?
My Auto Meter tach barely fits. The back rests against the instrument panel.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Yes plenty of room for that control. The problem is the gauge cluster. Mostly hidden. Been thinking what to do with it anyway. The dials are too small for me to see when driving. And in the way of the a/c I want to install. I want larger gauges but have to puzzle out a mounting plan.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I wonder if the custom Falcon instrument panels w/ gauges will fit?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

I’ll check. Will just puzzle about it for some while eventually will get a solution.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Looks tachy... But to each his own... :shock:

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

It is a bit clumsy. All suggestions welcome!
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

To give my honest opinion,,,,it's blocking the view of that beautiful nostalgic dash bezel ,speedo & gauges.I think I'd rather have it hanging under the dash (or on top of it but I know you probably dont want to drill holes in the top.) maybe hang from bottom of ac.Your Dash top ,face & bezel is in such pristine condition it's a shame to cover it. It's like the ugly baby syndrome,,,, I think even you are starting to see your ugly baby. sometimes when you spend time & money on a project it dont look too bad at first because you're the mother of that baby. but that beautiful dash is your baby too. when you first walk up to it for a look listen to your gut ,pretend you sold it & someone else put that tach on it :)
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Another option for mounting the tach is to use a rubber coated magnet. I bought a round rubber coated magnet with a 1/4-20 threaded insert and used it to mount an air/ fuel ratio gauge under my dash. No holes and it can be removed or relocated in a matter of seconds. It will not scratch the paint.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Great idea Jim! Where did you get the magnet? I may do that on top of the dash!
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I cannot remember the exact vendor I bought them from but if you Google “ rubber coated round magnet” you will find them available from a number of places. I used the style with a 1/4-20 internal insert, about 3” in diameter, they are available with threaded studs also. I also use one to mount my GPS in the Comet, I remove it when I reach my destination.
A tip: when not using the magnet store it in a zip loc bag, this prevents debris from sticking to it and maybe scratching your dash if you don’t clean it first.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:02 pm
I cannot remember the exact vendor I bought them from but if you Google “ rubber coated round magnet” you will find them available from a number of places. I used the style with a 1/4-20 internal insert, about 3” in diameter, they are available with threaded studs also. I also use one to mount my GPS in the Comet, I remove it when I reach my destination.
A tip: when not using the magnet store it in a zip loc bag, this prevents debris from sticking to it and maybe scratching your dash if you don’t clean it first.
Jim
good tip! thanks! :D
Johno

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Thanks for the thoughts. Agree I need a better solution. Thinking I might be able to make a mount for the defroster/speaker grill without chopping up anything.

Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd