Horn no go “BEEP BEEP”

The Round Body, Finned Comets
MY63COMET

Horn no go “BEEP BEEP”

Post by MY63COMET »

Ok, so my Comet arrived safely today. It is beautiful. Better than I thought it would be thank God. It’s always tough buying without seeing it first hand.
The horn doesn’t blow so my first check will be the fuse.
What would you check next?
Does the horn button just pull off?
I’m assuming there is some sort of contact under there.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Doug

Joe Travers

Re: Horn no go “BEEP BEEP”

Post by Joe Travers »

You have to pull the steering wheel and turn signal indicator to get the contact button out.
I would try jumping the relay first and see if it's bad. Also make sure the contact surface for the horns are clean for ground.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I don't have horns in my car. :P

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm
You have to pull the steering wheel and turn signal indicator to get the contact button out.
I would try jumping the relay first and see if it's bad. Also make sure the contact surface for the horns are clean for ground.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I don't have horns in my car. :P

Joe
Thanks Joe. I carry a canister of the boat air horn in my truck. Lots of fun with that. Especially when the wife falls asleep on the couch. From 0-100mph in one second.🤪 Lol

I will give those ideas a try.
After that fix, I will move to the AM radio that sounds like a pissed off cat growling.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Start with the easy stuff.

First check to make sure the car has horns( you just bought car) seen a few old cars that no longer had their horns.

Then check the horns, run a power wire from batt directly to horn. Make sure horn has good ground. Old horns have a tendency to stick. If horn doesn't work try tapping with small hammer, some horns have a adjuster/tuning screw try turning that back and forth to unstick horns.

If horn works then test wire for power, check relay for power, ground relay to see if it works, And then trace it back to steering column.
The button on steering column works on a ground. When you push button it grounds the relay so the relay gives power to the horn.

Lou

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:46 am
Start with the easy stuff.

First check to make sure the car has horns( you just bought car) seen a few old cars that no longer had their horns.

Then check the horns, run a power wire from batt directly to horn. Make sure horn has good ground. Old horns have a tendency to stick. If horn doesn't work try tapping with small hammer, some horns have a adjuster/tuning screw try turning that back and forth to unstick horns.

If horn works then test wire for power, check relay for power, ground relay to see if it works, And then trace it back to steering column.
The button on steering column works on a ground. When you push button it grounds the relay so the relay gives power to the horn.

Lou
Lou,
Thanks so much for the input. That’s some great info.
I will see if I can figure it out.
You guys are the best!!!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

MY63COMET wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:27 pm
After that fix, I will move to the AM radio that sounds like a pissed off cat growling.
Pull the speaker grill and check the cone. If it's original, it's probably cracked to pieces by now.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:46 am
That be me. If they can't see me or hear me coming, they must be Pinball Wizard :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:09 pm
MY63COMET wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:27 pm
Pull the speaker grill and check the cone. If it's original, it's probably cracked to pieces by now.

Joe
Joe,
See if you can open this video of my car. At minute 2:18 he turns the radio on. I don’t think it’s the speaker. Maybe a loose antenna I’m hoping.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0caovUT ... ml-4PzJW8Q

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's a great little car for scooting around town 👍

May be radio interference from the plug wires. Check to see if they are radio suppressant. Hum will usually increase with engine speed but he only flipped it on for a second in cruise mode, hard to tell. Turn it on @ idle and see if it increases with engine acceleration.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Also, what’s the easiest way to check to see if the antenna wire is hooked up to the antenna?
Unscrew the antenna base at the fender?

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

I hooked a hot positive wire up to the connector on the horn itself, and also grounded the horn. It makes a sound like a clicking diaphragm if that makes sense, but no horn sound.
I tapped all over the horn with a small hammer too. Still nothing but that clicking noise.
Bad horn?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

MY63COMET wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:04 pm
Also, what’s the easiest way to check to see if the antenna wire is hooked up to the antenna?
Antenna wire plugs in the radio with no other disconnects. I use my phone on video recorder to view under dashes and hard to get to places.too old to stand on head
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

MY63COMET wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:07 pm
I hooked a hot positive wire up to the connector on the horn itself, and also grounded the horn. It makes a sound like a clicking diaphragm if that makes sense, but no horn sound.
I tapped all over the horn with a small hammer too. Still nothing but that clicking noise.
Bad horn?
Yea bad horn. While you have the horn wire disconnected take a test light and see if you are getting power when someone pushes horn. If you are getting power find a new horn and your good. If you are not getting power you have multiple problems

Lou

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:43 pm
MY63COMET wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:04 pm
Antenna wire plugs in the radio with no other disconnects. I use my phone on video recorder to view under dashes and hard to get to places.too old to stand on head
I was able to see the wire hooked up to the radio. I was wondering if it was hooked up to the antenna itself?
Wasn’t sure if it had a connector to the antenna or not?

Also, do these Comets have a fuse box? I’m used to finding a fuse box on cars by the drivers side kick panel.
Is it somewhere else?

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 pm
MY63COMET wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:07 pm
Bad horn?
Yea bad horn. While you have the horn wire disconnected take a test light and see if you are getting power when someone pushes horn. If you are getting power find a new horn and your good. If you are not getting power you have multiple problems

Lou
Thanks Lou. Will give that a try.
Does anyone still sell these old horns?