1963 Turn Signal help

The Round Body, Finned Comets
MY63COMET

1963 Turn Signal help

Post by MY63COMET »

Ok, so I took my Comet out today for the first time since I got my title and plates.
I noticed that the turn signals do not go off once you make the turn.
Is this the part I need to correct that?

https://www.macsautoparts.com/1963-65-f ... 003-1.html

How difficult is this piece to replace?

Thanks for any input.

-Doug-

Joe Travers

Re: 1963 Turn Signal help

Post by Joe Travers »

You have to remove the steering wheel to check out the cam.
There is a collar on the back side of the wheel with two lugs that activate it on contact.
Your horn contact to the wheel is also located under there. May be a good time to check it all out after you swap the horns.
BTW- don't ditch the old horns. I could use a pair if things get nutty and you want to recoup some $$.
Check the diagram in the manual. Good picture of everything there.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:25 pm
You have to remove the steering wheel to check out the cam.
There is a collar on the back side of the wheel with two lugs that activate it on contact.
Your horn contact to the wheel is also located under there. May be a good time to check it all out after you swap the horns.
BTW- don't ditch the old horns. I could use a pair if things get nutty and you want to recoup some $$.
Check the diagram in the manual. Good picture of everything there.

Joe
Thank you Joe. Does that center cap/horn button just pull straight off?
I will have to check it out more when I get some time.
Still waiting for my new horns. They seem to be coming by mule train from Calif. 😭
You can definitely have the old ones, no charge. I’m glad you said something. I would have just tossed them.
Attachments
IMG_3308.jpeg
IMG_3308.jpeg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Push the horn ring in @ 3 & 9 o'clock position with both hands against the spring and turn counterclockwise.
The ring and button will pop off the wheel and the spring will land in your lap. Then take off the big nut on the shaft and use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. Horn contact button comes out with the turn signal switch. If the new horns still don't work, may want to pull the switch and replace the whole kabob while you're in there. You could try replacing the cam if it is damaged.

If the blinkers turn on, I would just live with it if it isn't a major inconvenience. My left signal is a bit finnicky sometimes. I plan on addressing it whenever I get to the horns.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:38 am
Push the horn ring in @ 3 & 9 o'clock position with both hands against the spring and turn counterclockwise.
The ring and button will pop off the wheel and the spring will land in your lap. Then take off the big nut on the shaft and use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. Horn contact button comes out with the turn signal switch. If the new horns still don't work, may want to pull the switch and replace the whole kabob while you're in there. You could try replacing the cam if it is damaged.

If the blinkers turn on, I would just live with it if it isn't a major inconvenience. My left signal is a bit finnicky sometimes. I plan on addressing it whenever I get to the horns.

Joe
OK, thank you Joe. Unless the new horns don't work when I put them in, I may just live with the blinkers the way they are like you said.
I could just get a bumper sticker that says, "IF BLINKERS ARE ON, DRIVER MAY BE SLEEPING". :D

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

MY63COMET wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:41 pm
Ok, so I took my Comet out today for the first time since I got my title and plates.

Thanks for any input.

-Doug-
I never have understood how this piece in your link could be replaced,aren't the wires riveted on? anyway I always bought the more expensive one with wires on it already,or went to a junkyard;
https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... S-p599.htm

I was warned on here years ago not to get the cheap ones from ebay made overseas, but got it anyway & sure enough it doesn't work right half the time. there is a NOS one on ebay for 150 bucks :roll:
Johno

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:14 pm
MY63COMET wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:41 pm

Thanks for any input.

-Doug-
I never have understood how this piece in your link could be replaced,aren't the wires riveted on? anyway I always bought the more expensive one with wires on it already,or went to a junkyard;
https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... S-p599.htm

I was warned on here years ago not to get the cheap ones from ebay made overseas, but got it anyway & sure enough it doesn't work right half the time. there is a NOS one on ebay for 150 bucks :roll:
Thanks for the heads up. I remember back in the day (1960's) when we thought the Japan stuff was the cheap stuff. Now thats the good stuff, and the China stuff is cr*p. :D
I miss the 1960's and 70's. Great times!