62 Comet Manual Conversion Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
SixtyTwoMerc

62 Comet Manual Conversion Thread

Post by SixtyTwoMerc »

Hello all,
New Comet owner/first time poster here! My father and I just acquired a 62 Comet that someone already swapped the engine to a 302 and the transmission to a 3 speed automatic C6. The engine, and maybe the transmission too, is from a 68 Mustang I believe. The transmission is not good, and we want to convert the car to a 4 speed manual this winter. Our initial thought is to go with a 4 speed toploader instead of a T10. We are both mechanically inclined (my dad was a diesel mechanic for 30 years), but we're new to trying to find parts that work with old cars.

I am looking for any help I can get regarding the conversion (transmission, shifter assembly, clutch linkage, bell housing, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
62_Comet.jpg
62_Comet.jpg (145.85 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

SixtyTwoMerc

Re: 62 Comet Manual Conversion Thread

Post by SixtyTwoMerc »

Maybe I should start with some questions, but it's hard to know exactly what to ask.

1. Are there any 1962 Ford models that most parts are interchangeable with? I know the Falcon is similar but smaller. The Fairlane?
2. Since the engine is a 302 from a 68 Mustang, should I even be concerned with the year and model of the car when transmission parts shopping? For instance, should I look for a Ford Toploader for a 1968 Mustang since the Toploader wasn't an option in 62?
3. On the transmission, which positioning on the tail/rear housing would be used for shifter assembly? Some of the Toploaders I've seen on ebay don't have the blanks that can be drilled and tapped that are furthest forward.
4. What's the best option for a clutch linkage? Hydraulic, cable, z-bar?
5. Where's the best place to find parts for a 62 Comet?
6. More questions to come.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! yea toploader is said to be better & the later ones are stouter . Love the TTO's ! :D
it shares a lot of parts as falcon , better to have a falcon/comet trans for the shifter location close to front,,, but mainly because of the hump brace. but I used one from a torino because I wanted my shifter further back to match moving my seats back for more leg room. so depends what you want but easiest way is stay stock or close.

lots of places have some parts, Melvins, autokrafters,falconparts, obsolete,to name a few. but somethings are not available.

btw here is a manual;
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Looking forward to following your conversion thread.

Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

SixtyTwoMerc wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:02 pm
Maybe I should start with some questions, but it's hard to know exactly what to ask.

1. Are there any 1962 Ford models that most parts are interchangeable with? I know the Falcon is similar but smaller. The Fairlane?
2. Since the engine is a 302 from a 68 Mustang, should I even be concerned with the year and model of the car when transmission parts shopping? For instance, should I look for a Ford Toploader for a 1968 Mustang since the Toploader wasn't an option in 62?
3. On the transmission, which positioning on the tail/rear housing would be used for shifter assembly? Some of the Toploaders I've seen on ebay don't have the blanks that can be drilled and tapped that are furthest forward.
4. What's the best option for a clutch linkage? Hydraulic, cable, z-bar?
5. Where's the best place to find parts for a 62 Comet?
6. More questions to come.
Any Toploader from 64-70 will work. The tail housing should be an early 64/65 unit that has the front shifter bosses for Comet/Falcon. David Kee makes an aluminum tail housing that has multiple shifter mount points.
If cost is a concern it seems like the narrow case Toploaders are cheaper. Some still have the early 25 spline main shaft that some say are weaker than the 28 spline shafts used in later transmissions.
Post up what you find so we can see what’s good and not so good.
Im running an original style mechanical clutch linkage with stock pedals. I replaced all the ends with heim joints for smoother operation. There are kits to install bearings in the clutch pedal as well.
Keep in mind Comet/Falcon standard trans pedals changed in 65 to accommodate the brake light switch that was moved from the master cylinder on earlier cars to the pedal for later cars.

As far as the shifter goes seems like Falcon/Comet original Toploader shifters are just about non-existent. You could maybe modify a 65-70 Mustang unit to work. Hurst still makes new shifters for this application but they’re going for over $700 these days. Again you could probably modify a cheaper Mustang Hurst unit to work.

Quick refresher: Falcon/Comet used the most forward shifter mount points on the tail housing. Fairlanes in the middle. Mustang shifters mount at the rear bosses.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

SixtyTwoMerc wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:38 pm

Hello all,
New Comet owner/first time poster here! My father and I just acquired a 62 Comet that someone already swapped the engine to a 302 and the transmission to a 3 speed automatic C6. The engine, and maybe the transmission too, is from a 68 Mustang I believe. The transmission is not good, and we want to convert the car to a 4 speed manual this winter. Our initial thought is to go with a 4 speed toploader instead of a T10. We are both mechanically inclined (my dad was a diesel mechanic for 30 years), but we're new to trying to find parts that work with old cars.

I am looking for any help I can get regarding the conversion (transmission, shifter assembly, clutch linkage, bell housing, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

62_Comet.jpg
By the way that little Comet is badass!

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Sending you PM with contact info for a guy parting out a '62.
He may have a pedal assembly, if it's manual shift.

Cool car 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SixtyTwoMerc

Post by SixtyTwoMerc »

Wow, thank you everyone for all the quick replies! I need to absorb all of this and then I’m sure I’ll have some more questions.

comethead

Post by comethead »

bmmaurer wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:41 am
Tremec 5 speed
That’s a strange way to say 4 speed Toploader! :lol:

SixtyTwoMerc

Post by SixtyTwoMerc »

I figure it's time for an update...
1. We took the engine and transmission out to repair the engine bay, replace parts on the engine, and replace the transmission
2. Upon looking at the engine closer, we decided to have it looked at by a local engine builder. He found the block had a crack (and some other issues).
3. The engine builder has some other 302s that he's willing to build up and sell us. We've decided to have one stroked out, 347 stroker it is!
4. We've been set on a 4 speed toploader for awhile now. However, I think we're now going to go with a Tremec 5 speed. Maybe a T5. Love the idea of having overdrive.
5. Any advice on the clutch linkage? I can't find a z-bar that works with a 62 comet, so I'm thinking of going with an aftermarket hydraulic clutch kit. Thoughts?

I'll upload some pics soon to document the progress.

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

If you can put enough tire under it to put the 347 to ground you will hear that T5’s third gear whimpering every time you fire that engine.
1964 Cyclone - 2 Dr / HT - A work in progress...

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

'63 V8 Z-bar should work. May have to drill to mount the frame bracket.
I believe my Z-bar may be early Mustang but I can't swear by it. Check and see if they interchange.

And yeah, keep the skinnies on the back. Good insurance policy.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Rootsy wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:58 am
If you can put enough tire under it to put the 347 to ground you will hear that T5’s third gear whimpering every time you fire that engine.
Third gear is the weak point of that transmission. Broke the gears off 3 gear and wiped out the cluster gear and a bunch of other gears.
Tom
tomb's 65

pre_merc61

Post by pre_merc61 »

Hello,
I am currently building a 289 withe a toploader in my 61 comet, and I'm having a ton of issues getting it into the car. I got it in today, but I think I'm going to have to shave the motor mounts so that I cam move it all forward. Would that be ideal? Looking forward to seeing how your build is going, and hoping for some feedback for some help.