Oil dipstick tube

The Round Body, Finned Comets
pfleuret

Oil dipstick tube

Post by pfleuret »

Someone here made a comment, nothing is easy on a comet. Starting to think the same way. I recently went to check the oil and discovered the pull handle had fallen off. Guess it was fatigued although the car only has 46k miles. Anyway I got a reproduction dipstick (24.5in) to fit the existing tube. But it is too wide and thick will not go all the way down. So then I got a replacement tube and dipstick assembly (20in). Now I can’t remove the old tube. It has been many years since I worked on engines but my memory is the tube comes out with a little wiggling maybe a pair of pliers. This one is not coming out with reasonable force and I don’t want to break it. Maybe it was installed with sealant. My next idea is to shorten the existing tube with a tubing cutter. Before doing that I want to check in and see if there is another answer to the situation. Thx.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Joe Travers

Re: Oil dipstick tube

Post by Joe Travers »

Google the part # off the original stick and see if you can find a NOS or used one.
A lot of repop stuff isn't correct.

BTW- Did you flip the stick 180 degrees to see if it would go all the way down?
Mine only fits w/ the handle in one certain position.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pfleuret

Re: Oil dipstick tube

Post by pfleuret »

Thx Joe. Looks like Drake makes a better quality reproduction using the original part number as a reference. I’ll try that next. Can also keep an eye on eBay.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd