Fuse Relocation

The Round Body, Finned Comets
pfleuret

Fuse Relocation

Post by pfleuret »

I had to check the radio fuse. Had no idea what was involved. Hard to remove the switch/fuse box, hard to work on it, hard to put it back. Decided I would only do that once. So relocated the fuses to a remote box in the glove compartment.

Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Fuse Relocation

Post by A/FX »

pfleuret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:38 pm
I had to check the radio fuse. Had no idea what was involved. Hard to remove the switch/fuse box, hard to work on it, hard to put it back. Decided I would only do that once. So relocated the fuses to a remote box in the glove compartment.

Smart move, your update looks clean and functional.
The original lack of fuses and bad location of them is one of the main reasons I changed everything when I was planning my build. I relocated the whole panel into the glove box area, the panel is mounted to a fabricated sheet metal box that
mimics the factory cardboard unit. I also have a bank of relays mounted under the dash just below the glove box, both are easily accessible.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

That looks great.

I might have to to upgrade my upgrade as I find more badly placed or left out electrical stuff.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

pfleuret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:38 pm
I had to check the radio fuse. Had no idea what was involved. Hard to remove the switch/fuse box, hard to work on it, hard to put it back.
I wouldn't say 'hard' as much as inconvenient.
Good move. The bezels are not reproduced. Cross-thread it and you're up the creek.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Yes the metal seemed soft just begging to be cross threaded! The outside bezel is dinged up indicating a number of removals over the 60 years. But the threads were in very good shape so hats off to previous owners.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

pfleuret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:17 pm
Yes the metal seemed soft just begging to be cross threaded! The outside bezel is dinged up indicating a number of removals over the 60 years. But the threads were in very good shape so hats off to previous owners.
The bezel on my headlight switch was hanging by a thread when I bought my car. Pulled the switch to check the blower motor fuse and bezel gave up the ghost reinstalling. Someone here was kind enough to put me on to a guy that had a few old ones for sell. Thankfully, most of my circuitry is fused away from that cantankerous switch.

This is a part someone should reproduce, common to all '60-'63 Comet & Falcon. :?: :?: :?:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

That looks great! I dread the day I have to replace a fuse in that box. Knock on wood. Not much room to get my old pleasantly plump head and body down there to take a look. @@