Rain water on driver side floor

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Joe Travers

Re: Rain water on driver side floor

Post by Joe Travers »

pfleuret wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:29 pm
Joe I was already under the car looking for drains in that area and didn’t see anything. Maybe it is filled up with undercoating. Is the hole on the flat part of the inner fender?
I have an opening where the back of inner fender well bolts to the torque box. Try to get you a good pic tomorrow. May be a hack.
Water in the floor is usually a cowl problem. Had a '66 Fairlane HT leaked like a sieve because it was parked under an oak tree for years.
If I knew John's trick @ the time, I may have finished it but that was almost 40 years ago. Sold the roller to a drag racer in Fla.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:26 pm
With one of the front fenders removed the drain will be visible, there is a drain on each side. Note red circle on the attached picture. There is also a fresh air plenum on each side under the dash, if you are lucky they will be solid with no rust through. If you are unlucky there will be penetrations from rust that is allowing water to drip on your feet.
Jim
Jim it also has one at the rear right under the hole.

btw I have the sides if anyone needs them.

Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:42 pm
A/FX wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:26 pm
With one of the front fenders removed the drain will be visible, there is a drain on each side. Note red circle on the attached picture. There is also a fresh air plenum on each side under the dash, if you are lucky they will be solid with no rust through. If you are unlucky there will be penetrations from rust that is allowing water to drip on your feet.
Jim
Jim it also has one at the rear right under the hole.

btw I have the sides if anyone needs them.

You are correct, slipped my mind. The smaller opening will plug easily.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Raked some dirt out of this side, leaf litter out of other. All of it bone dry. Small piles, not bad.
Same live oak leaves I found in the heater box last year. Sweat it a little then but no problems with leaks.
I park under big awning stay out of sun and rain. Don't drive in rain. Rarely wash the car with water. Dust it off.
Need enclosed garage but that's not happening any time soon.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Joe thanks for the photo. I’ve been comparing with mine which has no openings there. Reading up it seems those frame elements can collect salt and crud so opening is a kind of preventive maintenance. Not needed here in Sacramento and I only drive in good weather anyway.

From another post it seems the factory drain is behind the fender. So that will have to wait until I am feeling more ambitious than now. Ditto checking behind the heater and air assemblies.

Expected rain this weekend so we’ll see if my cowl patch job works.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd