Has anyone used a Classic Update Wire Kit

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Marty

Has anyone used a Classic Update Wire Kit

Post by Marty »

I’m getting closer to pulling the engine and trans so I’m thinking I’ll re-wire around that time. Now I’m looking into kits and instructions on how to diy. I found this kit but would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

I imagine this is something you really wanna take your time with and plan it out.

https://americanautowire.com/products/c ... met-510379
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Has anyone used a Classic Update Wire Kit

Post by A/FX »

I used an American Auto Wire system in my Cyclone, overall it is a very nice setup. More than enough wire, complete with all the needed components. I installed it slightly different than most, ran all of the rear wires through the rocker panels and all of the front wires through the inner fender panels. The fuse panel is mounted in the glove box. I added relays for most high draw items to take the load off the switches.
Here is the system I used:
https://americanautowire.com/collection ... tem-510760
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:07 am
I added relays for most high draw items to take the load off the switches.
Were there spaces on the block for the additional relays, or did you add them externally?

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:00 pm
A/FX wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:07 am
I added relays for most high draw items to take the load off the switches.
Were there spaces on the block for the additional relays, or did you add them externally?

Jim
There are a couple of relays incorporated in the fuse panel that are pre connected to the fuses. I added additional relays for items like headlamps, door locks, trunk latch, power windows, etc. if you look closely at the panel in the attached picture you will see the provided relays. I like this panel because it does not have the wires pre attached, they mount to the front of the panel making mounting the panel much easier and cleaner.
Jim

Marty

Post by Marty »

Much appreciated! Could you have mounted that to the firewall or were there no ideal spots for that unit? I’ve seen some guys put it in the glove box simply for ease of access. I think I’d like to keep my glove box functional and put secure that under the dash or firewall, if possible.
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Marty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:43 pm
Much appreciated! Could you have mounted that to the firewall or were there no ideal spots for that unit? I’ve seen some guys put it in the glove box simply for ease of access. I think I’d like to keep my glove box functional and put secure that under the dash or firewall, if possible.
I mounted it in the glove box for easy servicing, The area under the dash and firewall is too crowded as it is, the stock harness did not have a fuse panel so there was no existing location. Everything is in the glove box except the external relays which are just below the glove box and the 175 amp main fuse which is on the frame rail near the starter. I did not utilize the cardboard glovebox liner, I fabricated a sheet steel replacement. I also hated the stock disconnect plugs near the master cylinder, I wanted to hide as much of the wiring as possible, so I welded up all the holes in the firewall and relocated the holes I needed. ( including the heater hose holes)
Everyone has their own way of doing things, I found this to work best for me.
Jim

Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks, Jim. That helps!
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Marty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:43 pm
I have used American Autowire on a Mustang build and it worked well.
The model specific kits like the one you have a link to will usually have a template to mount the fuse panel to firewall. Which would let you still have a glove box. I would think the one in the link would have a template for mounting to firewall.

The one that Jim used is more of a universal kits.

I prefer the Ron Francis kits, which is also universal but, smaller footprint for fuse box, cheaper, and IMO an easier kit to use. I have used a few on them without any problems. Used one for my Comet and the fuse box is small enough to put behind the ash tray.

Had to make the ash tray smaller but was a pretty easy install.

Lou

Marty

Post by Marty »

That is really slick and easy to access. Thanks!
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi