Ol' Black Mattie 63' Comet Custom Build

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Marty

Ol' Black Mattie 63' Comet Custom Build

Post by Marty »

Starting a build thread for my 63' Comet Custom to track the fun and frustrations lol

I started last winter and got a lot of very helpful advice from the group already and been back after it this winter and will continue on.

Were Ol' Black Mattie is now:
-67' 289 with cracked main bearing caps
-C4 with a terrible Leak
-63 Fairlane spindles (All I can make out on the spindles are: 30A
-Steering 63 V8 steering..?

I made some progress on the interior (started before the main bearing caps cracked). I pulled apart the doors, de-rusted, painted, and greased all the parts. The windows and locks work smooth now! I can't offer much but if anyone has questions about that process I'm happy to share what worked for me.
Also, dyed all the seats/carpet and pulled the hardware to refinish. Installed a pedal, headliner (custom faux-ostrich skin), and insulation. New weather stripping and rubber bumpers all around.

I'm currently pulling the front drums and sorting out how to go about upgrading the suspension, steering, and brakes to compliment the 347. I'm about to pull the trigger on this suspension kit: https://www.globalwest.net/comnr-6265s.html
(Still need to confirm this will work it says compatible w/ 63' falcon)

Also debating what disc brake set to go with. I wanted to use Willwood's 6 piston set: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Brake ... indle+Only

with this CRSP spindle https://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%2 ... TALOG.html Part #: GKK.65

BUT when I called Willwood they couldn't confirm the fit and recommended I ask CRSP so I called CRSP and they recommended against the Willwood brakes. The guy at CRSP said it could negate the geometry benefits of upgrading to the 65' Falcon steering (The drivetrain Post was very helpful with learning about the benefits) and structural strength was lacking. I didn't quite follow what he was explaining but a nice guy and said I could shoot him an email and he would point me in the right direction (nice guy). I believe he was saying the flange was weaker with the Willwoods and he didn't trust it...?

I'm always open to learning if anyone has recommendations or experience with upgrading these. My main focus is safety and performance, I'm planning to put a 347 with a decent amount of HP and want ample stopping power.

Pics of progress:
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

Marty

Re: Ol' Black Mattie 63' Comet Custom Build

Post by Marty »

My current spindles:
Imageimage sharing sites
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Good looking interior work! :D
& some good looking kits! the only thing I noticed it said the new uCA's dont have adjustment, that new specs are built in to them. I think for probably an expensive kit like that (guessing) that for same money could get arms with adjustment plus have more positive caster(new specs) built into them also. Makes it lots easier to align the front end. it separates the adjustments,,,caster on the arms & chamber with the shims.

For your plans you really should get 65 v8 steering linkages. all can be mustang parts except the center link is comet/falcon specific.

here's some good info on it in the drivetrain section;
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 13&t=15083
Johno

Marty

Post by Marty »

Good Point! I found another suspension kit that comes with a a nice shim kit and a spindle. Maybe that is a better way to go. The spindle for that kit is a 70' spindle. I thought the 65' was the specific year to avoid bumpsteer but I get confused with this spindle stuff...

Does anyone know the exact spindle(s) that avoid bumpsteer issues but work well with the 65' steering upgrade?

There's quite the variety
Imageimage storage server
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I installed’70 Mustang Boss 302 spindles in my Cyclone back in 1972, I also converted to the ‘65 style steering. Along with the spindles I used the Boss disc brakes, everything worked well. I would probably still have that setup if I had not converted to a strut front suspension. You should be able to bolt in any pre 1974 Mustang V8 spindle and mate it to the ‘65 steering.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I would stay with mustang spindles (they are same as 65 comet) . some have had good luck with granada spindles & some have reported bump steer issues. mustang/comet/falcon spindles will always be easier to find than granada's. & parts for them will be available for them a lot longer. If you went with all 65-66 steering parts & spindles would be easier to remember years later. the later spindles are beefier. Used 65-66 spindles pop up usually in the $200-250 range.

here's a coil over kit from opentracker that does have adjustable tubular UCA's ,doesn't have the sway bar in the kit but that could be added & probably come in about same price as the kit you posted.
https://opentrackerracing.com/shop/stre ... er-system/

There are others out there, shop around before you pull the trigger.
Johno

Marty

Post by Marty »

Thank you gents! That’s very helpful.

That suspension kit looks great, I’ll look into that some more.
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi