New build 62 Comet

The Round Body, Finned Comets
PhxComet

New build 62 Comet

Post by PhxComet »

Hello from Phoenix
I acquired my first ever project car, a 1962 comet. Gentleman that had it was nice enough to tear it apart and lose the stuff. I did get a 66 Ford 200 and two speed transmission with it. Was given some seats from my son, 14-inch tires and rims from a user in the group, and tire help from my grandson who works for a tire shop. Friend at church "gave" me a 302 for it, but that is a later upgrade to the car.
Still looking for a better transmission for it.
Here are a couple of beginning pictures.
My girl Abbey is helping with the truck :lol:
Attachments
Motor.jpg
Motor.jpg (84.49 KiB) Viewed 288 times
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (102.71 KiB) Viewed 288 times
inside 2.jpg
inside 2.jpg (107.69 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Car.jpg
Car.jpg (114.14 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: New build 62 Comet

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Glad you started a build thread. We have some build threads that extend over 10 years. It is great to look back and see your progress. Good luck.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

power band

Post by power band »

Great to see another early Comet Six car getting put back together for driving into the future. The 2 speed 'slushomatic' is what gave the six cars their questionable reputation. '66 200 can accept many later improved trannys. The iconic 3 speed C4 is a reasonable option but if you want to go 3 pedals, the options exist to simply convert to virtually unbreakable 3 spd Toploader, 4 speed TL or a Fox body 'Stang Overdrive T5 for real sport performance.
later Mustang, Falcon, Maverick, Fairmont,Granada and Comet six cars can provide the needed tranny parts, proven and/or creative mods' of the small block six can provide the fun.
My '61 is a work in progress but after @ 20 years, I'm at least half done !.

have fun
Image . Image . Image.
Image .Image. Image
Image . Image .Image
'61 T'Bolt Six: Ford 250 Small Block Six Bored for TRW 258CID Pistons, Clifford Shot Peened Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, Cloyes timing set, Melling blueprinted HP oil pump, Offenhauser Tri-Power 3X1 aluminum intake manifold w/ Offy progressive linkage, Modified Holley 1904 series glass bowl carbs, GM HEI ignition trigger, Champion Racing spark plugs., Matte black/alum. 6=8 Clifford VC. SFI 157 neutral balance-light weight flywheel spinning Centerforce Stage II Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, 8” 3.80:1 TracLoc Posi rear, Shelby sway bar, "Caltrac" type traction devices Mustang front strut bars, Scarebird Disc front brakes, Fabricated subframe connectors and crossmembers, 8 Point Roll bar, 5 point Safety Belts, Mustang 5.0 alum. racing radiator, Perma-Cool electric pusher fan, Holley fuel pump/pressure regulator, Hooker 6602 dual out longtube headers, Smithy silencers, Original tube radio, vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights……

PhxComet

Post by PhxComet »

I am JAZZED!
Got 14-inch tires that fix the car.
Picked up a 1967 Ford 200 that was bored out and has a cam. It comes with the C4 transmission.
I will have to post selling the other tires, engine and transmission.
:D

PhxComet

Post by PhxComet »

Buying the start of a lot of parts.
Going to rebuild the front end before putting in the engine.
Hope it is as fun as it looks :lol:

power band

Post by power band »

'62 should have 62-65 6 cyl front suspension.
there is some value in upgrading to '65 V8 front suspension components - Center link / tie rod ends are considerably heftier if needed for use.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Might want to consider converting to 65 suspension to reduce bump steer.
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... bump+steer

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I was going to ask if you were upgrading to 65 parts like mentioned above, I dont think all of 62 stuff is available, so if you need most all of it the 65 stuff would be cheaper but you would need to anti up for a set a spindles & probably would want an 8'' rear so you have 5 lug front & back. then you need new wheels. But you would have a better driving car & will always be able to find parts -all but the center link is same as 65-66 mustang. & the center link is same as the more plentiful falcon so they should always be around.
Johno

power band

Post by power band »

... " you would need to anti up for a set a spindles & probably would want an 8'' rear so you have 5 lug front & back. then you need new wheels."
BTW - early Falcon/Com/Stang 5 lug steering stuff including spindles getting very hard to find in usable shape. 70's Maverick/Comet may be reasonable option and the availability of heavier duty 4 Lug spindles is possible.
'61 Comet with '71 Maverick 4 lug spindles with disc conversion using 14" 4lug wheels and Maverick 4 lug 8" rear with 3.80 'posi'.
Image . Image . Image .
Image . Image

PhxComet

Post by PhxComet »

Thank you all for your replies.
I am now looking to upgrade instead of replacing the parts for the one I have.
I really like the information that I am getting in this forum.
I am going to sell the engine, trans and old bucket seats and that should help to offset the cost.