Front end brakes and suspension

The Round Body, Finned Comets
63&1/2Comet

Front end brakes and suspension

Post by 63&1/2Comet »

Hi there,
I’ve got a 63 1/2 Comet custom with an older restoration. I’m getting ready to redo the front suspension but I can’t tell what control arms I need. The engine, steering, rear end and front disc brakes are out of a ‘74 Maverick, and I was under impression that the control arms were too, but pictures of parts online make me wonder if they are actually the original ‘63 ones. I know the spindles and callipers are from the Maverick, so my question is, if I order ‘63 Comet control arms will the Maverick spindle bolt on or do the control arms also need to be ‘74.
Thanks!

Jims65cyclone

Re: Front end brakes and suspension

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I can’t answer your question, but welcome aboard! :D

Jim

power band

Post by power band »

afaik - the UCA / LCA's should be original to the '63. the Maverick arms use a (better) alignment system with an eccentric cam washer/ bolt for camber adjustment on inner pivot of LCA. Probly need adapters for tie rod ends (Mustang Steve).
'71 Maverick spindles used on the '61 with 'Scarebird' disc conversion.
Image . Image
have fun

63&1/2Comet

Post by 63&1/2Comet »

Thanks power band. Now I’m wondering though, as my lower control arm has that eccentric cam washer/bolt. So would that mean it’s from the Maverick or could the eccentric be used on the ‘63 lca too?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If it were me after what I've learned over the years.
I'd insure the suspension mounts in the car are stock.
Get a Centrelink for a '65 Falcon/Comet and for the rest get all '65/6 Mustang pieces.
Easy to find, replacements will be around a long time and reasonable cost.
If your car was a 6cyl it has the right sector shalt, if it was a V8 you need a 67/8 Mustang/Cougar Pitman arm.
Good luck on your indevor.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

63&1/2Comet

Post by 63&1/2Comet »

I’m pretty confident that the mounts are stock. I’m in contact with person who did original resto, he just can’t remember what control arms he used. Car was originally a six cylinder but now has steering box, center link, pitman arm, tie rods, spindles out of ‘74 Maverick. I’m sure I could use either ‘63 or ‘74 control arms but where I’m getting confused is the lca installed now has 4 holes on it for strut rod, but has the eccentric. The strut rod installed is straight so needs the four holes to bolt onto lca (diagonally) and all the pictures of ‘74 lca show only 2 holes. Suppose I could drill extra hole and get the ‘74 🤷‍♂️. I’m in Canada so everything costs arm and leg and I’m on a bit of a budget. Cheapest route seems to be ordering online, but I’ll get nailed on shipping if I have to return anything, so want to be pretty sure before I order. In perfect world I’d look at one of the sexy kits out there!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya I'm in BC so hear ya!
Need pics, my eyes glazed over trying to understand your post.
This car doesn't happen to be orange from Saskatoon at some point?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

63&1/2Comet

Post by 63&1/2Comet »

Hey Sassy Yes, orange and in Saskatoon. I think we met quite a few years ago at cruise weekend. You had mentioned this forum but I couldn’t remember what your name on here was.

63&1/2Comet

Post by 63&1/2Comet »

https://imgur.com/a/tf48nTe

Not a great pic but my strut rod runs across the LCA diagonally (don’t think it’s a Maverick strut rod). The LCA has four holes to allow for this. However all the control arms I find online for ‘74 Mav only have 2 holes that run fore and aft so won’t work. However this control arm also uses the eccentric which I don’t think was used in ‘63 so that’s why I’m confused as to if this is ‘63 or ‘74 arm. If I ordered the ‘74 LCA you figure I could just drill an extra hole on top for my strut rod? Should mention the LCA’s I found online for ‘63 have the 4 holes.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

63&1/2Comet wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:37 pm
Hey Sassy Yes, orange and in Saskatoon. I think we met quite a few years ago at cruise weekend. You had mentioned this forum but I couldn’t remember what your name on here was.
Too cool!
2010 or '12 was the last time back to Toon Town for a car event. I remember taking a pic and talking a bit with you.
Get ahold of Steven Betker(pm for a# if you need) mention me (Fred Smailes). He may be able to help you source parts and/or offer some guidance.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

63&1/2Comet wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:42 pm
https://imgur.com/a/tf48nTe

Not a great pic but my strut rod runs across the LCA diagonally (don’t think it’s a Maverick strut rod). The LCA has four holes to allow for this. However all the control arms I find online for ‘74 Mav only have 2 holes that run fore and aft so won’t work. However this control arm also uses the eccentric which I don’t think was used in ‘63 so that’s why I’m confused as to if this is ‘63 or ‘74 arm. If I ordered the ‘74 LCA you figure I could just drill an extra hole on top for my strut rod? Should mention the LCA’s I found online for ‘63 have the 4 holes.
It looks like a Comet lower to me. The 4 holes are so the arm can be used on either side of he car.
Is the eccentric on the frame lower mount? Is there a bushing on the frame mount of the lower?

power band

Post by power band »

did i miss something - the 4 holes are for using same LCA on R or L Driver or Passgr side to fit struts.
no '63-65 Fal/Com had the camber adjustment eccentric afaik .
I tried using the Maverick - adjustable camber setup but didn't work out - so far... . ( 61 Comet does finally have the 63/5 V8 steering linkage with the Maverick spindles.)
control arms are different lengths and dimensions for MAv vs Comet again afaik... .

Image . Image . Image.Image . Image.
have fun

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Johno installed the eccentric setup on his 65 but I don't know anything about them. I'm not sure if they are a aftermarket setup or stolen from a factory setup off something else.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

SASSY

Post by SASSY »