Replacing my damaged windlace

The Round Body, Finned Comets
MOPONTOP

Replacing my damaged windlace

Post by MOPONTOP »

Hi guys,
With my '62 Comet Custom safely tucked away through the snowy English winter months, there are a few little jobs I want to tackle on the interior. Changing the damaged windlace is probably top of the list. I know I can buy this from Mac's by the foot but have no idea how difficult a job it will be to replace. Has anybody tackled this job before, any advice??

kemdell

Re: Replacing my damaged windlace

Post by kemdell »

If you replace the windlace, you will also have to replace the head lining, there's pretty much no other way, the windlace itself is held in place under the lining with a series of "teeth" that have to be slightly lifted off in order to remove and then replace it, you can't do this without first removing the lining.

Once you've removed the lining it's pretty much stretched and stuffed, the lining itself is held in place with a series of rods and also glued around the edges, you can buy new linings reasonably cheap but they sometime don't quite fit and need some stretching with the help of a hair dryer or similar tool. It's not a job for the faint hearted, I would suggest buying the components and then heading off to a Vehicle trimmer and get him/her to replace it for labour cost only, trust me you won't regret it.