radio repair

The Round Body, Finned Comets
classiccomet

radio repair

Post by classiccomet »

Hey everybody! Another random question. The original AM radio in my '63 is shot. I'm debating on whether I should get an AM/FM conversion, maybe with MP3 input, or just get it restored to it's original AM glory. Thoughts? Has anyone had this done? Any suggestions on who would do a good job? Also, the speaker is shot too (I only had one in the dash). Would you suggest putting in a new speaker or getting the old one re-papered? If you've done the latter, who would you suggest?

comethead

Re: radio repair

Post by comethead »

Im contemplating the same thing: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=3229

Still havent decided. I might get the original AM working and getting the aux kit for Ipod.
Ive ruled out the am/fm conversion because of cost.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

classiccomet

Post by classiccomet »

Thanks Joe. I missed that one when I was looking through the posts. Keep me posted on what you decide. I'm leaning towards getting the am fixed with auxiliary input. That way it can be removed later easily. I just wish mine had the optional rear speaker... Maybe one day I'll find a fully loaded parts car. Do you think I should fix the original speaker or just get a new one? I want to keep the car original, but where do you draw the line?

comethead

Post by comethead »

In my opinion originality is cool, but original looking upgrades can add value. If you look at my post I included info on stock speaker upgrades. You can always add the rear speaker yourself and use reproduced "Mustang" parts to make it look correct. I put the Mustang in quotes because you gotta remember that Ford used off-the-shelf parts on all car models so you could see the same options/parts used in different cars...even Mercs.
If I plan any kind of upgrade in my 65 I look at the Mustang parts catalogs for the generic Ford parts first.

Keep it original...but dont limit yourself to only the stock replacement parts.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed